Fresh fish - Bonito and Yellowtail !!!

nolani

Caught and brought home some yellowtail and bonito today and wondering if you guys have some good recipies. Havent had either one so really curious how to cook them up on or off the kamado. More ideas the better! We like options especially with two young kids, lol.

Looking forward to some fresh fish the next few nights!

How about storage? Can we freeze what we dont eat right away?

Thanks!

Yellowtail is hands down one of the greatest fish you'll eat. My fav is small foil packets with onions, veggies, garlic, butter, and white wine. Salt and pepper to taste...grill them around 350 for just a few min until the fish turns white all the way through...then pull it off. FYI the more you over cook fish the "fisher" it will start to taste. [emoji6].

Yellowtail is very good if handled properly immediately after the catch. Ideally you want to bleed them and keep them somewhat cool, if just stuck whole in a gunny sack and exposed to the sun, with an occasional rinsing of the bag with sea water, the flesh will get mushy pretty quickly. Not bleeding the fish will cause a lot of blood to disperse into the flesh. You want to get rid of all that dark meat as it will be very strong.

Bonita is cat food, as far as I'm concerned. Never could eat it, even if bled and smoked it was unacceptable.

You may have different results.

Bonita is strong tasting fish and an acquired taste for most. I like it cut into  chunks marinated in soy sauce and lemon juice and grilled kabob style sprinkled with a liberal amount of cracked pepper. You want to crisp up the outside while the inside is kept moist. IMO it needs to be pretty salty and crispy to be good. As stated yellow tail is delicious if treated correctly and bled almost immediately. I like it with lime and orange zest just a bit of smoked paprika and salt and pepper. It is also really good mesquite  smoked with some raw  green onions  and crusty grilled  garlic bread. Happy cooking. 

• 4 months later...

De scale cut slits on both sides add salt and pepper brush with evvo 2 to 3 minutes each side at 350 400

I have some yellow tail and tilapia filets, along with a pork loin in a brine for to cook for Christmas lunch. I'm going to use your method on the fish because I like the simplicity :)

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

De scale cut slits on both sides add salt and pepper brush with evvo 2 to 3 minutes each side at 350 400

I have some yellow tail and tilapia filets, along with a pork loin in a brine for to cook for Christmas lunch. I'm going to use your method on the fish because I like the simplicity :)

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

doesn't get much simpalar than that lol merry Christmas