1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut in thirds

1 cup grape tomatoes, halved

2 garlic cloves, chopped

½ cup chopped yellow onion

½ cup green pepper, chopped

1 cup raw med. Shrimp

1 box yellow rice mix

Directions:

Heat paella pan on direct heat, control temp with lower vent to stay in medium range

Saute chorizo and chicken thighs together, remove with slotted spatula to separate dish

Cook sofrito (onions, tomatoes, green pepper) in remaining fond, lightly season with salt and pepper. add garlic when almost done. 

Add broth and stir to deglaze bottom of pan.  Add rice mix and stir to settle.  Put chorizo and chicken on top of rice.  Close bottom vent and dome as much as possible.  Allow to cook until rice has absorbed broth, but do not stir.  (check often as temp could get too high and rice cook quickly, especially in shallow pan.)

Lay shrimp on top, lower dome and cook briefly until done.

Remove from heat and garnish with chopped parsley or cilantro to serve.

I enjoy paella but don't always want to go to all the trouble to make it, so when I saw a recipe calling for the use of a box of yellow rice mix, I decided to adapt it to the kamado, in my case an Akorn Jr.  I used a 12" pan that just fits inside the rim so not a lot of air getting in or out when the dome is open, and the dome cannot be closed all the way because of the handles.  No problem, I just kept the coals at medium heat with the vent either open slightly or not at all, and the dome down except for adding ingredients.  I am pleased with the flavor and results, and added an avocado crema to soften the spice. 

post-4468-0-12202800-1439081067_thumb.jp

post-4468-0-61799500-1439081068_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...