Sign in to follow this  
Buckeye Smoker

Bad Seal?

Hello, everyone!  Long time lurker, first time poster!  I was prepping for a cook this morning and noticed a "more than normal" amount of smoke coming out from between the top and bottom of my KJ.  Is this an issue?

Considerations:

-  Current temp at time of picture 204 working towards a final temp of 225. 

-  Using a Flame Boss blowing at 49% fan power.

-  Using Mesquite for the first time, maybe I'm just not used to the very thick smoke. 

-  Last cook was the kamado joe cooking show's peach-rosemary tenderloin, we got a little hot on the grill, but don't think it caused any damage on the felt. 

- I've got up to the 500s on pizza cooks, but there is not visible damage to the felt seal. 

Please see pics for another 1,000 words.  Thanks, all!

post-9780-0-36385200-1439123468_thumb.jp

post-9780-0-31442900-1439123474_thumb.jp

Since I see smoke coming from around almost all the gasket circumference, is the smoke migration possibly a function of total air pressure in Joe from the blower related to amount of forced air being introduced and upper vent setting that allows the pressure out?  I also see a lot of smoke around the bottom vent too but hardly any from the top vent (unless in the photo the top vent is not showing it clearly).  

I would experiment in that direction with air flow and vent setting before suspecting gasket issues.   At 49% on the blower you could be pushing (with no back pressure) around 3.5 to 4 CFM into Joe.

How old is Joe and how many cooks?  Any issue on leakage when running in natural non-aspirated mode?

that's crazy!!!

My dads jr. had that but not as bad. 

Push down on the handle and tell me if the smoke stops escaping.

If so, I would loosen top band, push the dome down and then tighten the band back up. 

If by pushing on the handle this doesn't clear up then I am truly perplexed

Like what Smokehowze said was the top vent open enough to let the pressure out. If it was you can check the gasket seal with a dollar bill. Place a dollar bill between the dome and base and try and pull it out, you should feel resistance. Repeat the test at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock position. If you have to adjust the bands from your picture you may not have the space on the top band so you will have to loosen the bottom band. If you have a helper it would be a lot easier. After the bottom band is loose have the helper apply even pressure on top of the dome while you tighten the band up (you may have to tap the bottom band down too).

When I have my meat probe in sometimes I get smoke from the exact same place

As you. I have found that I just have to move the WIRE. If I run the wire through the left hand side it won't seal properly but if I run it from the right it seals perfectly. Try it and let me know how it goes.

Since I see smoke coming from around almost all the gasket circumference, is the smoke migration possibly a function of total air pressure in Joe from the blower related to amount of forced air being introduced and upper vent setting that allows the pressure out?  I also see a lot of smoke around the bottom vent too but hardly any from the top vent (unless in the photo the top vent is not showing it clearly).  

I would experiment in that direction with air flow and vent setting before suspecting gasket issues.   At 49% on the blower you could be pushing (with no back pressure) around 3.5 to 4 CFM into Joe.

How old is Joe and how many cooks?  Any issue on leakage when running in natural non-aspirated mode?

The Joe is about a month old, with 1-2 cooks per week and 2 cooks/day on the weekends.  I would estimate roughly 12-14 cooks.  

The manufacturer on the temp regulator suggest shutting down the vents...it makes sense that the forced air needs to go somewhere. 

Thanks very much, Smokehowze. 

that's crazy!!!

My dads jr. had that but not as bad. 

Push down on the handle and tell me if the smoke stops escaping.

If so, I would loosen top band, push the dome down and then tighten the band back up. 

If by pushing on the handle this doesn't clear up then I am truly perplexed

I'll do this on the next cook, thanks for the advise, bosco

Like what Smokehowze said was the top vent open enough to let the pressure out. If it was you can check the gasket seal with a dollar bill. Place a dollar bill between the dome and base and try and pull it out, you should feel resistance. Repeat the test at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock position. If you have to adjust the bands from your picture you may not have the space on the top band so you will have to loosen the bottom band. If you have a helper it would be a lot easier. After the bottom band is loose have the helper apply even pressure on top of the dome while you tighten the band up (you may have to tap the bottom band down too).

When I have my meat probe in sometimes I get smoke from the exact same place

As you. I have found that I just have to move the WIRE. If I run the wire through the left hand side it won't seal properly but if I run it from the right it seals perfectly. Try it and let me know how it goes.

Thank you both very much, I'll apply all the advise so far and then start tinkering around on it, if need be.  Really appreciate the responses from the community. 

I am curious to see what it looks like without the blower and the probe between the base and dome.  

I would not mess with anything until you have trouble holding temps or shutting down.

Ben

I wouldn't worry , these things were never built to run with pressure from a fan or blower. A kamado cooker was designed to operate on a draft. A kamado like th KK with the silicone seal under pressure with a latched dome is probably the exception to the rule. I am sure that if I used a controller I would get more smoke leaking than I see now from time to time.---Ken

I wouldn't worry , these things were never built to run with pressure from a fan or blower. A kamado cooker was designed to operate on a draft. A kamado like th KK with the silicone seal under pressure with a latched dome is probably the exception to the rule. I am sure that if I used a controller I would get more smoke leaking than I see now from time to time.---Ken

X2❗️

Cook On❗️♨️

I just really need to bring this up.  Overtime I see the title of this post "Bad Seal" It reminds me of an old joke about a penguin.  Just makes me giggle the same way I do when I see full birds on the BBQ.  

A vacationing penguin is driving his car through Arizona when he notices that the oil pressure light is on. He gets out to look and sees oil dripping out of the motor. He drives to the nearest town and stops at the first gas station.

After dropping the car off, the penguin goes for a walk around town. He sees an ice-cream shop and, being a penguin in Arizona, decides that something cold would really hit the spot. He gets a big dish of ice cream and sits down to eat. Having no hands he makes a real mess trying to eat with his flippers. After finishing his ice cream, he goes back to the gas station and asks the mechanic if he's found the problem. The mechanic looks up and says "It looks like you blew a seal."

"No no," the penguin replies, "it's just ice cream."