How long to smoke 5.5 lb Boston Butt?

dougmc

Smoking my first boston butt tomorrow on the Akorn.  I've read on this forum that it can take between 10 - 12 hours for an 8 lb boston butt, but the one I bought is smaller (5.5 lbs), so how long should I expect it to take to cook if I am able to mantain temperature between 225 and 275?  I want to have it for dinner tomorrow, so I'm wondering if I should start it tonight before I go to be, or get up early tomorrow a.m. to put on on the Akorn.  Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Smoking my first boston butt tomorrow on the Akorn.  I've read on this forum that it can take between 10 - 12 hours for an 8 lb boston butt, but the one I bought is smaller (5.5 lbs), so how long should I expect it to take to cook if I am able to mantain temperature between 225 and 275?  I want to have it for dinner tomorrow, so I'm wondering if I should start it tonight before I go to be, or get up early tomorrow a.m. to put on on the Akorn.  Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Moving this post to the Kamado Cooking forum since it's not really a specific question to the Akorn grill...

Don't be afraid to go for 300 degrees either--this will help you power through the stall, and get done quicker without any noticeable differences in your pork. In my experience, the smaller butts take longer than the bigger butts.

Thanks Woodman!  Appreciate the help!

I always do mine overnight so that I knows it's done before dinner time, but if it takes 12-14 hours for a 8.5 lb butt, just prorate the time for a 5.5 lb butt.

Thanks Lardog.  I thought prorate might be the smart move, but didn't want to take a chance.  Since this is my first one, I didn't want to take a chance of doing it overnight and not being able to watch it closely

The advantage of starting overnight. Is if it is done early you can wrap it and put it in cooler which will keep it hot for hours

The disadvantage of starting in morning is you might have to order pizza for dinner

I'm sure it's been said already but I didn't read all the responses. 

You cook a butt until it's done - 200F internal temp, give or take 5f.   You already know the general time frame - plan for the upper range it could possibly take and when it reaches your desired temp, take it off the smoker, wrap it in foil and put it in a cooler under a cheap towel.  It'll be fine in the cooler for as long as you need until it's time to serve - several hours if needed.

10 minutes before time to serve, unwrap it and pull it.  Works every time.