Who said the smell of bacon first thing in the morning was king?

I love the smell of a couple Boston butts smoking first thing :-) These two have been on for 11 hours and have an internal temp of 178. We still have about two hours left, to hit an internal temp of 195.

Only my third time smoking and love my Kamado. I had the temp dialed in before bed and sleep all night with temp running at 250. This picture is only the second time I've opened since putting on.

Ribs are marinating for a cook today as well. We are having a fantasy football draft party this evening......going to be some good eats with bbq and ribs!

The smell of pork smoking first thing......is king to me! :-)

post-9480-0-91937900-1439723970_thumb.jp

post-9480-0-19126600-1439723999_thumb.jp

post-9480-0-91369600-1439724019_thumb.jp

Butt's are looking pretty bodacious! I've offered to host my FF Draft for the last few years, but nobody wants to drive the forty miles or so AFTER the draft. So we've tried a few different eating/drinking establishments and really like the one we're using now.

Question though----- what's in the marinade for the ribs? How long do you soak them? Does it primarily add flavor or moisture (or both)? Does it effect the bark any? Do much to the texture? I've always been curious about brining or marinating ribs or butts, but just haven't tried it yet. I concerns would be if it made the meat mushy/soft rather than tender and similarly that it might not let a good solid bark set. I'm definitely not a fan of the 'fall-off-the-bone' ribs. I want mine to be tender, but still have some pull, big smoke ring, and nice bark. Just wondering if this is something I need to try in my search of a perfect rack.

Butt's are looking pretty bodacious! I've offered to host my FF Draft for the last few years, but nobody wants to drive the forty miles or so AFTER the draft. So we've tried a few different eating/drinking establishments and really like the one we're using now.

Question though----- what's in the marinade for the ribs? How long do you soak them? Does it primarily add flavor or moisture (or both)? Does it effect the bark any? Do much to the texture? I've always been curious about brining or marinating ribs or butts, but just haven't tried it yet. I concerns would be if it made the meat mushy/soft rather than tender and similarly that it might not let a good solid bark set. I'm definitely not a fan of the 'fall-off-the-bone' ribs. I want mine to be tender, but still have some pull, big smoke ring, and nice bark. Just wondering if this is something I need to try in my search of a perfect rack.

I like fall off the bone, but in my opinion that has a lot to do with how long you cook them. If I cook for five hours, they is a bite through not off the bone rib. If I go six hours, they are fall off the bone.

The marinade adds a little sweetness and tenderizes the meat in my opinion. This is what I use and we like it. I switched up a few things on a Myron Mixon rub marinade

Ginger ale , wors sauce, pineapple juice (can use Apple), and packet of ranch dressing. I dry off the ribs, then add mustard....along with my own Luvy's Carolina Luv Rub. I have this blended for me from the porkmafia guys

My wife likes sweet ribs......so the last hour of cooking.......I wrap my ribs in aluminum foil and add squirt butter, brown sugar, local honey, and a spritz of Apple juice.

Works for me....worth trying out?

To me cooking time has a lot to do with fall off the bone, I personally like mine fall off the bone, but if I go 5 hours....there is a bite through not off the bone bite. 6 hours they are falling off bone.

I have modified a Myron Mixon marinade. I use ginger ale, wors sauce, pineapple juice (can use Apple), and packet of ranch. I dry off ribs after marinating......apply mustard....then use my own rub blended "Carolina Luv Rub". My wife likes sweet ribs, so the last hour I will wrap in foil with squeeze butter, brown sugar, local honey, and spritz with Apple juice.

If you do not like too sweet.....I apply sweet baby rays on top and cook for an hour.

It is worth a try! :-)