funkahdafi

Trouble with the neighbors

That fan is an awesome idea, @LargeRedJoe - brilliant! :)

As for smoking... I guess they are annoyed by the length AND the smell. Example: One of my neighbors came to me and said my last overnight job ruined his laundry (he lives above me and the smoke would flow right on his balcony where he had the laundry hanging to dry). He's cool though and just asked me to notify him before I cook next time. Another neighbor, a grumpy old lady with her grumpy old husband starts to yell just at the sight of smoke. I guess she just wants to yell. 

The point is, I am a person that can't stand disharmony, and now everytime I want to grill something I think twice about it. Kind of takes a huge portion of the fun away. 

Not sure. I guess I will try the fan and also do less smoke.

Thanks for feeling my pain guys :D

I second the fan.  Won't really do much for the smell, but will definitely help with the smoke.  I can understand how that would be a little worrisome; you're in your living room in an apartment/condo and look out the window to see smoke coming from underneath you.  It may have scared them at first and they can't get past that.  First impressions, right?

Maybe if you turn the back of the fan towards the top vent it will work like a hood vent over the stove and not disrupt your airflow too much.  I'd say they're being jerks, but I'm biased and haven't been in their situation.  I'm now very thankful for a nice sized back yard and neighbors that enjoy/tolerate outdoor cooking.

I think the fan will be a good start.

What I'm not sure you can help much is the smoke when you first light up the charcoal... That's where most of my smoke comes from. Once the coal is up to temp, I don't have a huge amount of visible smoke any more, even if I'm using smoking wood...

Wow that feeling must suck a fan seems a good option I know you want to keep the peace but you can't be forced to be a prisoner in your own home pandering to everyone else bugger that

Yes, when everything is up to temp and the white smoke disappeared, there is not much visible smoke left, that's right. But it takes 1-2 hours to get there and is still leaved the fire smell.

Wallawu: What do you mean with the back of the fan pointing to the upper vent? Do you mean to actually suck the smoke into the fan that way and blow it out away from the grill? Interesting thought.... 

Thanks guys. 

I have done a few Cooks without any smoking chips and they were fantastic. I know it's not as much fun as trying different smoke flavours but maybe every now and then mix it up? (I tried it out because the wife isn't a huge fan of smoke flavours and one time I went a bit heavy on the smoke) That way when the neighbours see you at the KJ they don't automatically get peeved off?

Hey Pesto... that's probably where I am going to end up with if the other things like the fan won't work out. Cooking with no smoke at all (and just do smoking 1-2 times a month at most). Not ideal, but I guess better then giving it up completely.

Wow, that really sucks. 

I have no first hand knowledge, but I have heard that coconut husk charcoal has little or no smoke profile. And while that may hold true for what you are cooking, I'm not sure it would be the same down wind, but might be worth a try.