I sometimes have sense enough to come in outa the rain......

Today's local weather is sub par for grilling.

IlbOGJi.png?1

Good thing I'm not grilling.........I'm kamado smoking in fairly weatherproof fashion.  :good:  

The Big Joe's cart rolls with supreme ease and I scooted it up close to the door.   The JoeBlow was used with zero trouble and lit the lump quickly while I stood beneath the overhang and stayed dry.    It was pouring down rain at the time.   As soon as the grill was lit and coming up to temp the rain stopped, of course.   Oh well, I'm ready when the next band comes through.  Looks like it's going to be this way all day.....perhaps all week.

uDhsWLt.png?1

xUHsPyg.png?1

So nice to be able to peek out the door and make any needed adjustments.

E6vEA8p.png?1

So.....what am a smoking ?

St. Lois cut spares.  

IiBVyTN.png?1

I'd let the Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head base rub set up and glaze over and then hit it with my old standard, Cimarron Doc's.  

wa11rvf.png?1

Huge chunks of lump enhanced with Bosco's peach wood.

YmzWoTY.png?1

Thank you, gentlemen !!!!

It feels GREAT to be playing with fire again.   :good:

Make sure you have water wings or one of the floaty things close by in case it gets deep .  

:rofl:

I suppose I could result to drastic measures and follow the obnoxious mermaid, Rosie Odonell's lead............

uQZkfO8.jpg

Well look at this....Dub posting pictures of his cook!!!

What weather app is that Dub, and no tunes for this one?

Cook on!

My Radar Pro

I highly, highly recommend it.    Stellar weather app.  Versatility and accuracy is amazing.

No tunes this morning......had Fox News on and was catching up on stuff.

Liking that Smokeware cap❗Cook on❗♨

Thanks.

I'm really enjoying this thing so far.

I like the tapered slot....working well for getting it settled in on 225.

LzHkGZ2.png?1

1FmzZNh.png?1

An hour or two from being done.

Just checked.....

RbOctr7.png?1

I have to make some decisions on sauce in a few minutes.

BmVySZr.png?1

Meantime......I'll sip on the a bottle of great suds that I've really grown to love these past few months:

oPXWkGK.png?1

And you thought I meant beer-suds.   :-D

I've yet to try a version of Diet Snapple that I didn't really enjoy. :good:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Michiganian22
      Hello Gurus!

I am looking to sell my Kamado Joe Big Joe I, red color.
      I am the original owner and bought it in 2015.

It is available for pick-up in Tampa Bay, FL. $700 OBO

Thanks!

• By cameronleespencer
      Hello There!

Texan, currently living in Seattle, finally got a backyard to do some grilling in this summer!

I'm currently grilling on a Weber performer, while I restore a Big Joe that I got off fb marketplace.  I have a thread in the DIY section with some photos if anyone is interested or has some good recommendations.  

Can't wait to get cooking on the Kamado once it is up and running.  Most looking forward to cooking some pizzas and of course brisket, being a Texan!

Thanks,
      Cameron Spencer
    • By cameronleespencer
      Hello there!  

I'm new to the world of Kamado cooking and to this forum, so I'm looking forward to some dialogue.

So I recently found a Big Joe for sale on fb marketplace for the irresistible price of $100!  The main body is in not terrible shape, but it's missing quite a few items, and will need some cleaning/repair.  I'm hoping the combined expertise hear can help me get this thing in good working order for the least amount of extra $ possible, and more importantly without damaging the integrity of the grill.

Condition Report:
      The ceramic body itself is in good shape with no major cracks or chips.  There are a few issues that need to be addressed however:
      The upper part of the interior has some green staining.  I assume this is from algae/moss since I live in the PNW.  Any tips on how to gently clean this, or should I just do a burnout when I get the rest set up?  The felt gaskets are in pretty bad shape and will need to be replaced (tips on cleaning and removing gunk would be welcome too).  The wire mesh gasket is mostly intact but has come loose.  Does anyone know of an adhesive that would be safe to use to re-attach it?   I'm not sure what to call this, but the hole that helps align the hinge on the back side of the band has been worn quite a bit.  Making the hole about 1 1/2" long and the ceramic a bit crumbly there (see pic).  Does anyone know of any substance I could safely patch this with, and how best to reattach the bands?  
      Missing parts:
      At that low of a price I wasn't too concerned about replacing a few parts, but after price checking I found I need approx $400-$450 in replacement parts.  I can get most of these from BBQ Guys, but I figured I would reach out to the community here and see if people had recommendations for third party replacements, custom ideas, or (fingers crossed) extra parts that they need to get rid of.  Here is a list of what I need:
      Firebox Deflector Grill Grates Flex cooking rack (is this necessary or is there another way to grill/smoke without it?) Replacement Gasket kit Missing the upper half of the cart, not sure if I will try and purchase that, or make a custom table I will be focusing on grilling and smoking with this grill, so I don't really need some of the specialty items.

I know this is a lot of information/questions, so don't feel like you have to address everything, but if you have some advice on any of the subjects, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks and happy grilling!

• By Tracksoup
      Hey everyone. Call me Tracksoup. I'm an avid outdoorsman who enjoys hunting and fishing, its a great to know that I've played a part in putting food on the table.  

A few years ago I saw a BGE and became intrigued with the Kamado cooker. I could never bring myself to spend the $$$ to replace my propane BBQ with a kamado. But after months of saving my pennies to buy a motorcycle, my wife decided that she really didn't want me riding anymore, so I decided this was my opportunity to buy myself a Kamado grill. I did a lot of reading and research about the different kamado grills available (within a reasonable distance from where I live) and made the decision to buy myself a Vision Grills Pro S grill back in April 2020 & I couldn't be happier with my decision to go Kamado.

Up until now, my only BBQ experience was a propane grill & although I've got a health appetite, the flavour of the food was 'ho-hum'. Since I got my Vision grill, I've grilled everything from venison steaks & burgers, pork sausages, chicken breasts and thighs, I've smoked pork spare ribs and even a low & slow moose roast, there is so much more flavour in the food now & I'm cooking on my kamado way more often than I ever did with the propane BBQ. This thing is awesome!!! 

While looking for info & tips to familiarize myself with this wonderful cooker, I found Kamadoguru.com about mid-June. There is so much info on this forum & I am enjoying reading through the pages 

• By Tarnation
      I did a run of 3 racks of baby back ribs for my sister's birthday tonight.  These turned out fantastic.  I smoked them @ 225 -240 for 5hrs over B&B Oak lump and Best of the West 100% Mesquite lump and cherry wood chunks.  Rack 1, see the toothpicks, was rubbed with Bad Byron's Butt rub and Weber Spicy Cocoa rub.  Rack 2 was again rubbed with Bad Byron's and Fire & Smoke Society Pork Perfect. Rack 3 was different, it was rubbed with Fresh Jax Ghost Pepper Sea Salt, Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Ranch, and Fire & Smoke Society Wicked Wynona.  Far and away rack 3 was the favorite.  Those are gone, the other 2 also turned out awesome, I really can't pick a winner between those 2.  I finished them with a 50/50 Duke's Hickory Moonshine sauce and Cranberry Grape juice.  I definitely recommend using some juice to cut your sauce when basting.  I might do a cut shot later everyone was hungry and tired of waiting for me to finish cutting.  Smoke ring was on point.