Premium Restaurant Grade Kamado Joe Lump......

What does it cost?  I got these the other day.  They are supposed to be the same in different bags. 

Check the brown bag Gary. I'm fairly positive that lump was sourced in the USA. The red back is sourced in Argentina. Neither of those is the restaurant grade lump. I don't have any prices. I'm trying to get some bags sent to me. 

What does it cost? I got these the other day. They are supposed to be the same in different bags.

Check the brown bag Gary. I'm fairly positive that lump was sourced in the USA. The red back is sourced in Argentina. Neither of those is the restaurant grade lump. I don't have any prices. I'm trying to get some bags sent to me.

Pull samples from each bag and compare them. I did, and the red bag KJ from Argentina seemed more dense. As Andy said, check the origin of each on the bag. Both are good, but I prefer the red for my long cooks.

What does it cost? I got these the other day. They are supposed to be the same in different bags.

Pull samples from each bag and compare them. I did, and the red bag KJ from Argentina seemed more dense. As Andy said, check the origin of each on the bag. Both are good, but I prefer the red for my long cooks.

RedJoe nailed it!  The red back is dense and burns a long time. It takes longer to start. The brown bag is similar to Royal Oak and is less dense and burns faster, with a nice mild aroma. I like to burn a mixture of both. 

Brown - USA

Red - Argentina 

What makes restaurant grade better?

It's the same Argentina sourced lump, but larger pieces. It also comes in a better 4 ply bag. It is, or soon will be, shipped in bulk containers and bagged in Atlanta. That stuffs burns forever. 

Andy isn't the new bag the one that will be run out of the N. Berkley Lake location? Meghan told me this morning that it was operating, just not at full capacity. Said she doesn't go over there because of the baby. I can't wait to try the higher quality stuff.---Ken

Andy,

Can you elaborate? Is the lump in the new red bag a different source than the old red bag?  

thanks

Ben

Same source in Argentina, but bigger chunks and a better 4 ply bag. It will be packaged at KJ central from bulk containers. I expect all the bags will eventually be the 4 ply, not just the restaurant grade....that's just speculation, I don't know for sure.