Big Joe oh Big Joe hurt me

rdeejr

Keep you springs tight. I was getting grill ready for a cook when my 5 yr old son came up and started talking. I turned my head and at that instant the Big Joe lid came down on my little finger.

Ouch that really hurt. My wife was in the front and heard my yell. Son runs in middle of front yard and tells mom he is preying for daddy.

Finger was squished. Not broke just flattened. . Go to ER and 23 stitches later come home. Go back to patio and wife asks what I'm doing? Well I'm gonna cook this brisket as I'm gonna be up half the night on these pain killers anyway.

That was a $1,000 brisket. Those Big Joe lids are heavy. Keep those springs tight.

Holy shoot!!!!

Yesterday I had the big joe open and I turned to get my bag of charcoal. I caught the lid coming down out of the corner of my eye. I grabbed real quick almost getting my hand caught. I immediately cranked the springs!!!

Sorry to hear about the injury. Could have been a lot worse !!

How exactly do you tighten the springs on the Big Joe?

I did tighten my bands the other day, but I didn't mess with the hinge.

There are two bolts on the back of the hinge. Look up and under the hinge. You will see two tension springs that have bolts running though the springs. Tighten those bolts. I think it is a 10 mm hex key.

Silver lining is....

Since you've just chunked down $1,000,  you're like 1/4 way towards the purchase of a Komodo Kamado. Try that argument on your significant other and let us know how it works out... heck, I'd slam a lid on a finger or two for one.... LOL

Just kidding, I love my KJs.

I am a little confused as to what is causing this to occur. I have also had my lid come crashing down. It seems like I am often tightening the springs. Are the springs losing their springiness? It is almost a full turn every time I have to tighten them.

YIKES!!  Hope you are ok.  What a crazy thing to happen.  Its really important to do regular maintenance on the KJ's and especially when you first get them.  These ceramics are really heavy and the mechanism can come loose easily and quickly, I almost had the same thing happen a few months ago...learned my lesson! How was the Bisket??