philpom

Have you seen Saffire lately?

I have, the other day I stopped in over at CGS and wouldn't you know it, a new shiny black Saffire XL (23") in the showroom.  I was impressed with the heft, the fit and finish.  By all accounts it is a very nice kooker.  This isn't what compelled me to post though....  It's the hardware, specifically the hinge.  It is the heftiest kamado hinge I have ever seen, we're talking huge and thick.  I can't imagine it ever breaking, thing had my eyes bulging at first glance!  I think they have stepped up their game, if I ever consider getting a round kamado Saffire would be on my list.  

At one point I had them confused with another company that is not as good. 

I love the round port that seals air tight for adding smoking wood. The more I poke around their site the more I like them. It is not easy to get a good overview with out spending some time there.

Basically they have a Bronze, Silver, and Platinum level.

They do not have the flexible options that KJ has but the Saffire would be in  the top of my list if I were shopping for another kamado.

I love the round port that seals air tight for adding smoking wood. The more I poke around their site the more I like them. It is not easy to get a good overview with out spending some time there.

They do not have the flexible options that KJ has but the Saffire would be in  the top of my list if I were shopping for another kamado.

I suspect that a reputable kamado accessories company is working up a flexible cooking rack solution that will bundle with the large XL Saffire. I'm going to guess that the bundled price will be competitive with other offerings.

I have also suffered Saffire haze in the past and I think like you I was confusing them with another brand.  It was striking to see it in person, it looked to be at an industrial level if you will.

I've always thought that the Saffire's were awfully purdy!!

And although I've never seen one in person, I've heard nothing but positive comments re: their hardware!

Was is Auplex?

Huh?  Think you quoted the wrong post... lol!!

They do not have the flexible options that KJ has but the Saffire would be in the top of my list if I were shopping for another kamado.

Was it Auplex?

They do not have the flexible options that KJ has but the Saffire would be in the top of my list if I were shopping for another kamado.

Was it Auplex?

No it was not an Auplex. It was another Kamado brand that has a bad reputation for cracking and not the company not standing behind their product.

But I do not want to slam any brand on the open forum.

...guys any info you need let me know ;)

I have a 192 and a 23"...the 23" takes the multilevel rack already....Saffire own design allowing me to stack 2-3 grids and then add the 2ndy raised grid on top of the last one too....half moon deflector....and yes the hinge is a real bit of work....

I was on the Saffire stand in Germany helping Steve and Sean the family behind the grill (I have a unique advantage that I am fluent in German and live locally to the exhibition so helped them out again this year)

I have had several already but the new models that hit 2014 are miles ahead to the older models...check out the much wider, much thicker polished 304 stainless bands....

Chip feeder is such a great feature and can personally vouch for its multiple usages during diff cooks.....smoke chunks fit in, largish coal fits in, wood chips for stoking the fire when loading up another pizza....really makes a difference....if anyone would like any pictures let me know and I will do a post....

...flexible options are not any great difference....I would agree with the 19" but Saffire have assured me that the scheme they have in the XL 23" will come to the 19" as well....