Kamado Joe Lump

divot1973

Bought a bag of the brown and red Kamado Joe brand lump.  I must say the pieces are gigantic compared to the royal oak I have been using.  Hardly any small pieces in the bag. 

Should I buy another bag of royal oak to get some smaller pieces?  It burned great on my first cook with it.  Took a little longer to get going.  Any opinions are appreciated.

Do a mixture of 70:30 red bag to brown bag. That gives you the best of both worlds divot. The red bag lump wil burn for a long time, where the brown bag will light easy and get the pit temp going quicker. 

I am beginning to think this is the way to go.  Or better yet mix in some of the cheaper RO.  I torched the hell out of some KJ red bag and had to throw in a starter cube to get it going else dinner would be way late.  I got two of the Buddeez Kingsford Kadddy Charcoal Dispenser for 24 lb. Bags and I think I am going to keep some RO in at least one of them.

Do a mixture of 70:30 red bag to brown bag. That gives you the best of both worlds divot. The red bag lump wil burn for a long time, where the brown bag will light easy and get the pit temp going quicker. 

I am beginning to think this is the way to go.  Or better yet mix in some of the cheaper RO.  I torched the hell out of some KJ red bag and had to throw in a starter cube to get it going else dinner would be way late.  I got two of the Buddeez Kingsford Kadddy Charcoal Dispenser for 24 lb. Bags and I think I am going to keep some RO in at least one of them.

Yeah, I do the 70:30 mixture using the KJ red and RO, as the KJ brown bag lump is not available in my area. The KJ red is tough to start due to it's density, but that's also what makes it burn a long time. 

Those Kingsford bins are great for storing lump. I use one for KJ red, one for RO and I toss the large pieces of both brands in a third bin for long low & slows. You can find then for less than $15.00 in some of the big box stores. 

Yeah, I do the 70:30 mixture using the KJ red and RO, as the KJ brown bag lump is not available in my area. The KJ red is tough to start due to it's density, but that's also what makes it burn a long time. 

Those Kingsford bins are great for storing lump. I use one for KJ red, one for RO and I toss the large pieces of both brands in a third bin for long low & slows. You can find then for less than $15.00 in some of the big box stores. 

I got one for home, 2 for the vacay home so far.  I think I need more.  I paid something like 10.89 at Lowes.  I notice they are stackable also.  And they DO NOT hold a whole bag of KJ red.  Some of the lumps are just too big.   :shock:

I got one for home, 2 for the vacay home so far.  I think I need more.  I paid something like 10.89 at Lowes.  I notice they are stackable also.  And they DO NOT hold a whole bag of KJ red.  Some of the lumps are just too big.   :shock:

I have always been able to dump 20 and 22 pound bags of Kamado Joe South American lump into mine and still have  ¼ > ⅓  of the bins left vacant.

Gary, how are they for outside?  I don't really have anywhere to store my lump outside since I've moved.  If I could store this in a kaddy, that would be ideal.

Kevin

They seem air and water tight as long as they remain upright.  So far I have one in a deck box and two on a covered outdoor porch at the vacay home.  Only downside is I can not get a whole bag of big lump in one.  Also if lumps are too big they do not come out of the opening easily or not at all and I have to take the top off.  Still better than bags though.  The top gives you a little more storage area also.  Put your gloves and the like right on top of the bin. 

so i asked someone to pick up a bag of RO at wally world the other day what i got was a bag of frontier lump from lowes,,,"the guy said it is all the same" she said... well it did have some big lumps in it but it does not seem to want to burn for me. I killed a fire the other day on a rib cook and i have never done that. My akorn is pretty efficient and i had the temp up to 225-250 for a while then it just died on me. So my question is how different is it cooking with some big lumps vs smaller stuff from the RO which has worked great for me????

so i asked someone to pick up a bag of RO at wally world the other day what i got was a bag of frontier lump from lowes,,,"the guy said it is all the same" she said... well it did have some big lumps in it but it does not seem to want to burn for me. I killed a fire the other day on a rib cook and i have never done that. My akorn is pretty efficient and i had the temp up to 225-250 for a while then it just died on me. So my question is how different is it cooking with some big lumps vs smaller stuff from the RO which has worked great for me????

I have used frontier from BJs, I found it to be an upgrade to the RO I get from Home Depot.

Going to a brand like KJ with a denser lump had a few advantages

1) denser harder lump survives shipping better

2) a given volume, say a full firebox.  more density is more energy, longer burn

3) less ash

4) better flavor, IMHO

I have used frontier from BJs, I found it to be an upgrade to the RO I get from Home Depot.

2) a given volume, say a full firebox.  more density is more energy, longer burn

3) less ash

4) better flavor, IMHO

IMHO

1 possible

2 at a given weight (lbs.) I am less convinced and fire bowl space not a problem

3 ash not a burden that I can see

4 unconvinced, and when using wood chips not a factor at all IMHO

also people always fail to mention cost,  RO at $8 is significant savings.  Also I have experienced same issues as Post #11

All IMHO

3) less ash

4) better flavor, IMHO

IMHO

1 possible

2 at a given weight (lbs.) I am less convinced and fire bowl space not a problem

3 ash not a burden that I can see

4 unconvinced, and when using wood chips not a factor at all IMHO

also people always fail to mention cost,  RO at $8 is significant savings.  Also I have experienced same issues as Post #11

All IMHO

I  have cooked many a meal over lump in the last 20 years between 3 BGE and 3 KJ ceramics, I have been through 2 weber performers and a professional grade side fired smoker. In all of that I have burnt a bunch of lump. We use to live on lake Lanier north of atlanta and have the kids friends over almost every weekend april through october. We entertained more than a couple of days a week. I remember times when all three BGE would burn from friday through sunday. I have burnt lump from many sources both good and bad. I have some experience with lump but I am still learning because I allow myself to remain teachable. There are members on here that make me look like an rookie. I honestly have not burnt a briquette in atleast 15 years, it has been lump only. So here goes.

1) Denser harder lump does in fact survive shipping better.

2) Based on my extensive experience and weight gain, this is true

3) Far less ash on the vast majority of premium lump, it's one of the requirements to claim premium grade.

4) The flavor profile is better, most premium lumps offer milder smoke and let the guru decide how they would like to flavor their cook with wood chunks.

TO ADD

5) RO lump for all intents and purposes is not 8 bucks a bag, it is 6 to 20 bucks a bag with the vast majority having to pay the depot price of 12.97.

6) Most kamado owners that I know do not use wood chips , chunks are used by the vast majority.

I have burned through hundreds of bags of Royal Oak over the years. Before I started mixing it with Kamado Joe lump I would buy 25 >50 bags at a time. I still use some today. Years ago it was phenomenal lump. The past few years it has definitely become inconsistent. I open some bags that are pure junk, and some that are decent at best. For sure, It is not the quality that it was years ago. I mainly use it to help me get my Kamado Joe lump started.