Trying to fine tune my temp skills

Ok so I have finally learned to get my grill shut down before it gets to hot, but i am chasing the temp back and forth from 225 to 250(this is probably a 10 min process).  For me, this is a victory!  I've slowed this process way down compared to previous smokes where i would fall below 200 and then rise above 300.  My question is this normal or could i do better?  Also, is this where an IQ 110 would help me out?  In the past, my fire would probably go out when smoking long periods and i would have to finish on my performer or move it to the oven.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

The Tiptoptemp is a cool little gadget and costs much less than the IQ110. But once I figured out how to adjust the top myself I haven't really needed the ttt.

I leave the bottom vent open and just control the top. I haven't noticed that it affects the temp but if I don't leave it open enough my fire eventually goes out.

Have you tried to let it settle and see where it sets at a particular setting? You might get a little bit better idea of where do set it if you just let it settle and then take note of your vent setting. That's how I did it anyway.

The Tiptoptemp is a cool little gadget and costs much less than the IQ110. But once I figured out how to adjust the top myself I haven't really needed the ttt.

I leave the bottom vent open and just control the top. I haven't noticed that it affects the temp but if I don't leave it open enough my fire eventually goes out.

Have you tried to let it settle and see where it sets at a particular setting? You might get a little bit better idea of where do set it if you just let it settle and then take note of your vent setting. That's how I did it anyway.

This is how I do it, different grill mfr, but all Kamados work with the same method of draft control.

Findlerwo   ... Likely have a pretty good seal on the unit like myself. For really low and slow temps, 200-225°F ish I like the Smokin Stone or a couple cheap WW pizza stones stacked or sand filled pan or at very least a large 14" and up to 16" metal deflector of some kind.  Doin' a pork loin right now, sitting at 331°F (733 Maverick Time) for the last 45 minutes. Never had a fire go out.

Are you waiting for the temps to stabilize before you start "chasing". It sounds like the adjustments may be comming to quick and you might be over shooting the intended goal, that or maybe the grill is not sealed up well. Also is the firebox filled with the proper amount of lump. I had problems with my medium green egg going out on cooks below 225f and the problem was the firebox wasn't filled above the air holes in the sides.---Ken

I had trouble keeping my temperature stable in my akorn. What I do now us I light it in the volcano method and have the akorn vents set where I want them. When the charcoal just starts to catch I close the lid. I Let the kamado come to temp slowly. I held between 225 and 250 for 9 hrs. Do not keep opening the lid on low and slow you will over shoot every time.

I had trouble keeping my temperature stable in my akorn. What I do now us I light it in the volcano method and have the akorn vents set where I want them. When the charcoal just starts to catch I close the lid. I Let the kamado come to temp slowly. I held between 225 and 250 for 9 hrs. Do not keep opening the lid on low and slow you will over shoot every time.

If I get impatient and want to bring it up quickly on a 225-250 cook, I miss the mark every time and I don't care what methods you try, if you light too much lump, you might as well snuff it out and start over.  When I do pork butts, I use one cotton ball.  I have to wake up a little earlier than I'd like because it takes about 20-30 minutes to creep to the desired temp, but once it's there it stays there.  Largest swing the Maverick showed me was 8 degrees, and it swung right back without me touching it.  You gotta let it come up slowly (almost painfully) on those low temp cooks.

Thanks for all the comments friends....i actually did great until my temp was done to about 200 and after i opened the vent some my neighbor started talking politics and it shot to 575.  by the time i got it down it was finished.  But for 5 hrs i was handling my business.

My opinion as well. If it's 250, I may crank it down a tad. If the temp drops, great. If it doesn't, that's OK too. 

And chase early, chase often. I usually let things settle down a bit before even screwing with it... YMMV

I would not worry about it going from 225 to 250

its BBQ, the meat wont care.