GrillGrate Meltdown

Jack.

Grill grates are aluminum, that melts at 1100 F or so.

Andy, you are a good man for taking care of your neighbor. The grates are a small sacrifice compared to ones hand.

Jack, if you watched the temp and it never got above 700, then it certainly was not user error.

I have found through personal experience on my joe and other ovens, the temps below anything that deflects heat are much much higher than the temps above it in the dome.

I always remove my grate probe at about 550.   By then I think I have it regulated enough that it will not vary to the upside more than 100, 200 max.  I have lost one probe before but no more after starting this procedure.  

Have three sets of Grates, and have had a similar experience with one. Did a high temp cleanup, and now my grates have melted a bit. They're still somewhat useable, but everything I put on them sticks like glue. SO really, they're not useable.

I always remove my grate probe at about 550.   By then I think I have it regulated enough that it will not vary to the upside more than 100, 200 max.  I have lost one probe before but no more after starting this procedure.  

I don't understand why you would even have a probe in a 550*F grill in the first place Gary. Once you get over 500*F or so all you are doing is grilling or searing with direct heat and the pit temp is pretty much a moot point. Pit probes are more for low & slow cooks like butts, briskets and ribs. The highest heat I would ever use a pit probe would be for indirect 400*F cooks or under, such as chicken or baking breads, desserts, etc. 

I don't understand why you would even have a probe in a 550*F grill in the first place Gary. Once you get over 500*F or so all you are doing is grilling or searing with direct heat and the pit temp is pretty much a moot point. Pit probes are more for low & slow cooks like butts, briskets and ribs. The highest heat I would ever use a pit probe would be for indirect 400*F cooks or under, such as chicken or baking breads, desserts, etc. 

WHAT-ever, dude.  I see your 400 and raise you 150.  That's where I like it for pizza.   :woot:

WHAT-ever, dude.  I see your 400 and raise you 150.  That's where I like it for pizza.   :woot:

I do pizzas at 800*F+ Gary. I have cooked hundreds of pizzas on Kamados, but never once used a probe....SMH!

And I guess the issue is that one cannot use the "self-cleaning" capabilities that are inherent with Kamadoes, while GrillGrates are in-place. This is a shame because the GrillGrates were the main thing I wanted to clean. And I "self-clean" every 5-10 cooks... amazing how hot even a few leftover coals can get my KJs, when I let her rip wide-open. Good for my KJs, but bad for GrillGrates.

I do pizzas at 800*F+ Gary. I have cooked hundreds of pizzas on Kamados, but never once used a probe....SMH!

Does that make you right or just different?   :roll:

Jack, did you check your dome to see if it was Calibrated? That looks more like more than 700F.

You have to also keep in mind that the temp will be much higher than 700 F if you're Grill Grates are sitting inside the firebox. Your dome might be at 700F. The grill grates could be at 1000 F plus in the lower position.

You can use an IR temp gun to see where the temps are at rather than a probe. I use an IR gun to keep track of my Grill grate temps. I find the Grill Grates often operate at 100 F - 140 F hotter than the grate at the next to them sitting at the same level.

An IR gun is a really helpful tool for anyone running the Grill grates above 600F. You really don't want the Grill grates getting past 800F. That's where you enter the danger zone where you stand a chance of melting them.

The IR gun will tell you the true surface temp of the Grill Grates regardless of where they're placed in the grill. I think Brad may want to consider including the IR guns as a optional add on in his packages.

Does that make you right or just different?   :roll:

Why so confrontational, Gary?  You seem to be baiting for a fight, or maybe it' s just me...

And I guess the issue is that one cannot use the "self-cleaning" capabilities that are inherent with Kamadoes, while GrillGrates are in-place. This is a shame because the GrillGrates were the main thing I wanted to clean. And I "self-clean" every 5-10 cooks... amazing how hot even a few leftover coals can get my KJs, when I let her rip wide-open. Good for my KJs, but bad for GrillGrates.

You can use the Joe to self-clean the Grill Grates. Be careful where you place the Grill grates and what temp you use to self clean them.

I self clean my Grill Grates all the time. There's no problem with self-cleaning the Grill Grates. Just don't self-clean them at 1100 F with the top vent full open.

800F is plenty good to scrub your Grill grates squeaky clean. Clean them on the main grate at the felt line. Don't self clean the grates in the lower positions.

It's easy as mud-pie to clean the Grill Grates in your Joe as long as you do it at the right temp and you don't place them in the firebox for the self clean.