pat28

Low and slow prime rib roast

Thanks for the advice so far gentlemen. More precision here as I now have the piece of meat. It is a bone-in 21.5 pounder. I probe cook everything, but would not want to keep my guests waiting 4 hours. At 225, how long should the cook be approximately? Do I start at 11:00, or even earlier?

I remember seeing a chart somewhere that indicated that past 10 pounds, the time was the same or so for any size. I can always start it very early in the a.m. and let it cook at 200 degrees then crank up the temp to 275 about an hour before supper, depending on what the probe reads of course...

I did a prime rib roast using a low temp for a long period of time, followed by a high temp cook to sear and brown the outside. It turned out great.16133839992_b3689e488e_c.jpg

Based on this experience, I’m hard pressed to see why I would want to do this sort of cook at 350ºF, unless I did a really crappy job planning out when I should start this cook. ^_^

If you are interested in the details, they are all here: http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/16646-post-christmas-prime-rib-roast/

Look at that tasty crust!

post-2109-0-85417500-1441934663.jpg

These times don't seem right to me. An 8# pork butt at 225 is typically to 140 or so in <4 hours. I can't imagine how an 8# prime rib would take 7 hours to 120...

I mean, the 60-90 minutes per pound bit of advice is generally for pork butt and brisket, which you have to power through the stall up to ~200 degree IT.

Does a prime rib REALLY take this long?

I agree that after so many lbs. The time per lb. Is really a mute point. Your not cooking a big ball that keeps getting bigger per lb. It's roll/tube shape and regardless of the number of lbs you are still only so many inches from the outside(side) to the middle (from the end doesn't count). The bigger diameter of the roll/tube the longer the time but adding length does not significantly increase the time.

Here is the deal. I'll start the cook at noon at 225. I will crank it up at 7 p.m. if I need to, but most importantly, I will monitor temps and time and let you know of the progress on an hourly basis. Cannot wait to take DaBeast to the Joe.

Mmmmmm, these prime rib pics are killing me! I want to lick the screen off my iPad!

Prime rib means PRIME. Don't try to reinvent it. No fancy spiced just SP&G. Cook at 225. No foil no oil. If you want to mess around get a $1.89 pork butt.

These times don't seem right to me. An 8# pork butt at 225 is typically to 140 or so in <4 hours. I can't imagine how an 8# prime rib would take 7 hours to 120...

I mean, the 60-90 minutes per pound bit of advice is generally for pork butt and brisket, which you have to power through the stall up to ~200 degree IT.

Does a prime rib REALLY take this long?

Yes, in this thread alone I have gotten anywhere from 20 minutes to 90 minutes a pound.

I am having people over at 6:30, and have five pounds. Yes, I will be probing, yes I will be monitoring, but as a general rule of thumb, what time should I throw the sucker on?

Mmmmmm, these prime rib pics are killing me! I want to lick the screen off my iPad!

Prime rib means PRIME. Don't try to reinvent it. No fancy spiced just SP&G. Cook at 225. No foil no oil. If you want to mess around get a $1.89 pork butt.

Agreed! I like to cut the fat cap off, season with S+P underneath, reattach the cap, then rub it with S+P and a touch of dried herbs. Love me some crispy, seasoned beef fat!

I've cooked a few with success but never on the kamado, it's just too bad no one else in my house loves rare beef like I do.

Wilbur, any help on this dilemma; the roast cooked a little faster than I expected hope. Do you have a suggested temp to keep in oven so to only keep it warm until about 30 minutes before people arise and then I'll throw its back on at high heat for the seer.

I did a prime rib roast using a low temp for a long period of time, followed by a high temp cook to sear and brown the outside. It turned out great.16133839992_b3689e488e_c.jpg

Based on this experience, I’m hard pressed to see why I would want to do this sort of cook at 350ºF, unless I did a really crappy job planning out when I should start this cook. ^_^

If you are interested in the details, they are all here: http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/16646-post-christmas-prime-rib-roast/