Temp Control with IQ100 discrepancy.

Hello,

I have done about 6 low and slow cooks on this particular Kamado.  I have been using the IQ110, which works perfectly.  I had many controllers and this one is very high quality.  However, for some reason I get huge discrepancies on the digital pit temp and the kamado dome temps.  I even added a high quality dial temp in the top vent just to see what was going on. The IQ consistently reads about 50 'F higher than both dial temps, which are usually very close to each other in numbers.   I tend to believe the dials, as it just feels more accurate.  When the dials both say 225, the IQ will be about 275, and the temp does not feel 275.  I always use a pizza stone diffuser with water pan and IQ temp is 8 inches off the grill in the center.  Any Ideas, or anyone else notice this. Thank you. 

Hi Oscar,

I have a more ancient Guru, the Pitminder.  It still seems to be pretty accurate, I've been happy with the performance.

Your temp differentials are not unusual at all, temp at the grate (even with deflector) may run higher than the dome temp.

If you're still concerned, maybe the boiling water test on your Guru will answer the question about it's accuracy.

Re your water pan, you can ditch that that if you like, you won't need it on the Kamado for heat sink or moisture.

Happy Kooking!

Thank you.  So I'm curious, if we all talk about 225' or 250' cooking temps, and you are free handing the cook, ie no controller, or using one, what you are saying is that we are not cooking with the same temps.   Unless you make an adjustment.  Either I put the temp probe higher in the dome, or should I assume low and slow temp of 225' is really 275 on the pit controller.  I'm confused now, lol.. 

Grate level temps are typically 50 degrees higher than the temp in the dome, where therm. is.

Both of my cookers are so.  Dial therms are not extremely accurate, & often slow to respond as well.

I don't even bother with any kind of controller any more, except for a long low & slow cook.

Thank you.  So I'm curious, if we all talk about 225' or 250' cooking temps, and you are free handing the cook, ie no controller, or using one, what you are saying is that we are not cooking with the same temps.   Unless you make an adjustment.  Either I put the temp probe higher in the dome, or should I assume low and slow temp of 225' is really 275 on the pit controller.  I'm confused now, lol.. 

If you're using the Guru (at meat level), I would trust that.

If no Guru, I like to use an oven thermo parked on the grate to measure temp.

If I'm using only the dome thermo, I just figure it's 25-50 degrees behind.

If I'm doing a hi-temp cook, no worries, let it rip.

Maybe in theory?  Maybe in your cooker.

Mine are not so unless you are cooking pizza or searing something at very high temps, then the dome comes (way) up in temp.

My domes read 275-300, and the crate level is typically 350.  Mine equalize somewhere around 400-500 & then the dome gets hotter in the 500-600 range (with diffuser).

Different cookers may heat up differently.

Dome temp is usually higher then grate temp over a deflector.

a8fe5665bee7d909a017a6d7c30bfd3f.jpg

That's what I thought and why I cook pizza on the dome tray.  Has anyone used a dual probe device like the Maverick and placed one probe on the grate and one on the dome tray?

I'm talking about with a deflector in place and the heat going around it and up into the dome by thermometer. Without a deflector I would expect the grate to be higher closer to the fire. I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong but that's been .y experience.

Don't sweat it though. Exact temps aren't all that important. Keep it below 300 for low and slow. 350-450 for mid range and 500 and above for searing and pizzas.

I always clip the IQ120 probe onto the stub of the dome thermometer shaft. Problem solved.

Genius !!!!   I like this idea. not sure why i didn't think of it.  I will give it a try.   As a side question, has anyone tried to drill a small temp probe size hole anywhere in the upper dome of the Akorn.