Kamado Joe

Cast Iron Fire Box & Fire Ring

All,  about to start experimenting with using cast iron Fire Box and Fire Ring.  See attached design below.  The initial samples are shown before we complete some secondary operations such as finishing and a coating operation that creates a molecular layer to prevent corrosion and rust (nanotechnology for those who are scientists).  The weight of these cast pieces is 2X the ceramic and we need to understand the thermodynamics / heat retention characteristics of the grill and if a change in material changes how the grill cooks.  We will be looking for some of our power users to do some testing.  Should have finished samples in a few weeks.  The design includes a locking feature to make sure the fire Ring nests securly into the fire box and the four tabs or inserts on the top of the Fire Ring are to ensure that the Flexible Cooking System fits securly into the Fire Ring.  We have incorporated our Ash Collector into the cast Fire Box.  Looking forward to doing some testing on this.  This change would not change pricing on the grill.  Initial thoughts?

post-2321-0-70868600-1441980211_thumb.jp

post-2321-0-84858200-1441980223_thumb.jp

Again Bobby, I'm in...you want my money now?  Oh, and I'm no power user, but I'll certainly test one out in the Huntsville area.  I'll also come to Duluth and pick it up!

Well it certainly looks indestructible!  No cracked fireboxes with that, I'm sure!  My only concern is about rust.  I would not like rusting, flaking, deteriorating iron in my grill.  You mention a nanotechnology coating process, is this simply a fancy way of saying seasoning the cast iron?  If so, I'd imagine the seasoning would burn off almost immediately, especially in the areas in direct contact with the coals.  If there's some other proprietary process going on there, more power to ya!

Well it certainly looks indestructible!  No cracked fireboxes with that, I'm sure!  My only concern is about rust.  I would not like rusting, flaking, deteriorating iron in my grill.  You mention a nanotechnology coating process, is this simply a fancy way of saying seasoning the cast iron?  If so, I'd imagine the seasoning would burn off almost immediately, especially in the areas in direct contact with the coals.  If there's some other proprietary process going on there, more power to ya!

I'm with HaagenDazs on this - I'm interested to see how this holds up to rust. I can give it a pretty good humidity test down here in south GA. ;) 

I wonder about folks in the saltwater areas, too.

My hats off to you. The cost of replacing and shipping cracked firebowls most certainly takes a bite out of a company's overhead and you have seemed to come up with a viable solution

If you need a tester in rain country you can send one up to the Seattle area and I can give it a good run for you

Love my KJ

Wow, what a way to advance the kamado game once again. After we close on our home (hopefully in the next few weeks), I have the green light on a ceramic upgrade from the worn but trusty old Akorn. I must admit, I was looking at the Vision mostly on price point but innovations like this capture my attention and definitely make me think about where I want to spend my hard earned cash. Keep up the good work.

Design and materials look good to me. I especially like the high risers on the flexible cooking system. That's my only complaint on the current design - hard to get a hold of on a hot grill. One question is the heat retention and effect on the outer ceramic shell of the Joe.

I'm in coastal Carolina. Plenty of high humidity and salt water. I'd be happy to test.

I am in Canada. If you are looking for someone to do some sub zero testing in the winter and 97 degree (with high humidity) testing in the summer. I would be happy to test.

It will be interesting to see the results from the testers to see how it performs and if it changes any dynamics of the grill and grilling process. If an owner has a cracked firebox some time in the future, will this be the replacement offered?

This looks great!  The number 1 complaint with KJs is the firebox and to address so boldly shows what a progressive company KJ is, and at no cost to the purchaser.  Cant wait to see this in action!