Kamado Joe

Cast Iron Fire Box & Fire Ring

Well it certainly looks indestructible!  No cracked fireboxes with that, I'm sure!  My only concern is about rust.  I would not like rusting, flaking, deteriorating iron in my grill.  You mention a nanotechnology coating process, is this simply a fancy way of saying seasoning the cast iron?  If so, I'd imagine the seasoning would burn off almost immediately, especially in the areas in direct contact with the coals.  If there's some other proprietary process going on there, more power to ya!

Why is everyone so concerned about rust? A piece of metal that thick may develop surface rust, but will not rust out for a very long time and should not impact it's ability to do the jobs of holding lump at all. It's not like it's a cosmetic piece or a cooking surface.

I live in high heat and cold winters and could test any size of the new firebox. I'm thrilled that Kamado Joe is innovating as much as they are and asking their consumers honest opinions about their products. It doesn't get any better than this.

Well it certainly looks indestructible! No cracked fireboxes with that, I'm sure! My only concern is about rust. I would not like rusting, flaking, deteriorating iron in my grill. You mention a nanotechnology coating process, is this simply a fancy way of saying seasoning the cast iron? If so, I'd imagine the seasoning would burn off almost immediately, especially in the areas in direct contact with the coals. If there's some other proprietary process going on there, more power to ya!

Why is everyone so concerned about rust? A piece of metal that thick may develop surface rust, but will not rust out for a very long time and should not impact it's ability to do the jobs of holding lump at all. It's not like it's a cosmetic piece or a cooking surface.

I do understand your comment but I don't want to look at rust inside (or outside) my grill. I don't think that's an unreasonable concern/request in the slightest. I agree that there is zero chance of it truly rusting through, but that still doesn't mean I want it. Same reason people don't want to look at a crack in their firebox. The kamado clearly still functions with a cracked firebox, but it's one of the most common topics on this forum... because people don't want a cracked firebox.

I have no dog in the fight, but I would be concerned with rust also. I have had cast iron grates that held up ok for a while, but then started to rust. Once they do start to rust they tend to go rather quickly. The rust tends to weaken the metal and then its starts to fall apart in chunks. Not a scientist so I can't comment on the nano tech, but if it prevents them from rusting then that's a good thing. Also being that the Kamado is a moist cooking environment also adds to the concern. Then there is the weight. I tend to remove my firebox every 3 or 4 cooks to give it a good cleaning out. 

The firebox in my Vision is a little heavy and its awkward to try to take out without dropping it or breaking it. Not a lot of room to get a good hand hold. I can't imagine what twice the weight would be like. Well I could actually, and I don't consider that an advantage. Then there is the quote: { and we need to understand the thermodynamics / heat retention characteristics of the grill and if a change in material changes how the grill cooks.} I would be interested in hearing more from the testers once they start cooking on them and what the effects are. 

It's good to see a company trying to innovate. Hats off to you! Maybe this will change the game entirely. Or Not. Only time will tell. I would rather see a better formula for the ceramics like KK has. I'm not sure it is actually ceramic, but its seems bullet proof. The firebox definitely needs to be improved on, having fireboxes cracking all the time is a pain in the rear. All brands except the KK seem to have that issue. Some more than others.  

If I owned KJ i would try out a ceramic firebox with full vertical cuts at the 120* mark (aka 1/3 around the circle). This will allow for all sorts of expansion & contraction. Have a true 304 Stainless Steel band or wire loosely hold the 3 sections together. My bet is 99.999999999% of cracked fireboxes will go away. 

Send me a prototype for a Big Joe & I will be gland to test my theory which I have confidence in that it will work based on my cracked 3 year old cracked Vision firebox.

Will be interesting to see how these fare in your testing. Iron castings are not immune to cracking but my bet is they would be less likely to crack for most users.

I will do some testing over here in Illinois. This is just in time for the pre cold season :-D .  Bobby KJ is innovative. Right when you think you have seen it all, you come out with this. Keep up the good work improving an already spectacular product.