PennHead

New Lower Vent Door and Firebox Repair

16 posts in this topic

After my temperature fiasco during last months challenge I finally decided to order a new lower door assembly to replace my makeshift foil vent.

post-9652-0-56635000-1442281156_thumb.jp

I ordered a new firegrate with the door.  Unfortunately the door looks like it was hand made by a 5th grader...

post-9652-0-10314400-1442281426_thumb.jp

Then the real fun begins. I began to take out the fire ring which has been in two pieces forever and had apparently forgotten how bad my firebox was....Yep it fell to pieces, 7 to be exact....

post-9652-0-50869000-1442281708_thumb.jp

post-9652-0-24340000-1442281743_thumb.jp

I was able to get the door on but it doesn't fit properly and I could only get 3 of the bolts in. 

Now I'm attempting to follow some other posts I've seen by using the Rutlands firebrick cement to put humpty back together again.

post-9652-0-17272200-1442282005_thumb.jp

Edited by PennHead

The Rutland fireplace mortar is holding up pretty well on the firebox after over a month of cooks unfortunately the new firegrate was not so lucky...

post-9652-0-44960600-1445632080_thumb.jp

I think it's time for cast iron, steel or maybe even the KAB

Well the Rutland mortar held until the last few hot pizza cooks I did and the firebox humpty dumptied again on July 3rd as I was preparing to try my first brisket for my mom's 70th Birthday......

20160704_074404_resized_zpsbmxezpxl.jpg

My firebox has a smoke ring......

20160704_074418_resized_zpsdjdykbbw.jpg

Gonna try it again, this time I actually followed the instructions on the tube.....

20160705_183533_resized_zpsoz0hohm2.jpg

If this doesn't work, I'm thinking about possibly trying a BGE firebox if it will fit.

Mewantkj likes this

Well the Rutland mortar held until the last few hot pizza cooks I did and the firebox humpty dumptied again on July 3rd as I was preparing to try my first brisket for my mom's 70th Birthday......

Gonna try it again, this time I actually followed the instructions on the tube.....

If this doesn't work, I'm thinking about possibly trying a BGE firebox if it will fit.

Contact the HQ of the big three. I have heard rumors that some will warranty parts sold after the initial purchase. Wouldn't it be nice to have a FB and FR with a warranty?

Contact the HQ of the big three. I have heard rumors that some will warranty parts sold after the initial purchase. Wouldn't it be nice to have a FB and FR with a warranty?

That's a good idea, I know Grill Dome will not, even though my father and I are the original owners.  Apparently I was suppose to keep the receipt for 20+ years, lol.  

How old is your grill dome?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old, I think we bought it somewhere around 93-96.  I believe it is an NG1.

That's a good idea, I know Grill Dome will not, even though my father and I are the original owners. Apparently I was suppose to keep the receipt for 20+ years, lol.

What?? That sucks!

Don't get me wrong I absolutely love old smokey and will probably wind up buying a new firebox from Grill Dome, I read on another forum that several members had replaced there constantly cracking grill dome fireboxes with large bge ones. 

Well my fix didn't work and humpty dumptied again as I was preparing for brisket #2.  So I ended up getting the BGE firebox and grate.  Definitely a little different than the original grill dome parts but they fit and seem to work well.  The vent/temp adjustments are gonna take some tweaking but I'm liking it so far.

20160716_125414_resized_zpswqwcd4gq.jpg

20160716_130111_resized_zpsokumou3s.jpg

20160716_142217_resized_zpsdrk8ac0y.jpg

Mewantkj likes this

That looks like it should do the job. How's the exterior of the grill holding up?

That looks like it should do the job. How's the exterior of the grill holding up?

The paint is flaked off most of the body and some of the lid but I keep it in a detached garage so I don't have to worry about the unglazed exterior.  Eventually I plan on doing a minor restoration and repainting it and building a small table.

One thing I've noticed is the temp fluctuates more with the BGE parts, I'm guessing it's because of the larger firegrate and better air flow. 

For future reference, I repaired the firebox on my old clay kamado with Red Devil Fireplace & Stove Silicate Cement, available at Ace Hardware.    It is rated to 1000 F and has held up for 3 years so far.

IMG_1443.JPG