2 QT Wood Chunk Smoking Pot

Charcoal Addict

I'm watching this thread as well.

Thinking about picking this guy up 

http://www.homewaresdirect.com.au/pyrolux-pyrocast-cast-iron-round-garlic-prawn-pot-with-maple-wood-tray.html

for a venturi type cold smoker

Note the web site is .au not .usa. I think the shipping cost will be high. They do have some cool stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm watching this thread as well.

Thinking about picking this guy up

http://www.homewaresdirect.com.au/pyrolux-pyrocast-cast-iron-round-garlic-prawn-pot-with-maple-wood-tray.html

for a venturi type cold smoker

These are great for garlic prawns when CC first posted his smoker I posted a pic of one of these to see if it would work in the classic. Thinking they may be to big

• 2 months later...

I decided to toss a proverbial canary to the Kamado's. Proverbial Canary = Turkey breast. I chose turkey to test out the smoking pot due to it's ability to absorb smoke without being as easily oversmoked as chicken breast.

The good news, the 2qt Lodge smoking pot fit easily under the Deflectors in the lowest position of the divide and conquer. So Big Joe owners do not have to worry about the 2Qt pot not fitting underneath the divide and conquer.

I used one chunk of pecan and one chunk of Apple wood for this test. It worked well for the most part. Granted I won't use Keborak on the next test. I'll use a cleaner burning lump like Quebracho for the next test. Too much white smoke drifts off the Keborak to see the Blue smoke come out of the Joe.

The remaining smoking wood turned into charcoal afterwards. It's usable for another cook. Here's some pics from the first test with the smoking pot. I'll try a couple of more test in the weeks to come.

post-3283-0-85777000-1449536480_thumb.jppost-3283-0-41076300-1449536511_thumb.jppost-3283-0-77434900-1449536530_thumb.jp

How does this differ from simply wrapping the wood chunk in aluminum foil and poking one or two small holes in the foil?  ON a low and slow cook I just don't see how this would make any difference at all really.  

I am also in the camp that says the color of your smoke is irrelevant.  If if the kamado is up to temp and you don't have thick white smoke oozing out of the top vent, you are ready to cook.  In fact, the less smoke I see the better off I am.  It doesn't have to be 'visible' smoke at all for it to be functioning in the cook.  

Nicely done, Addict.

So, what's your initial impression?

It was hard to tell on this cook. The Keborak lump was too inconsistent to see the result I wanted. I will try another test over the weekend.

How does this differ from simply wrapping the wood chunk in aluminum foil and poking one or two small holes in the foil?  ON a low and slow cook I just don't see how this would make any difference at all really.  

I am also in the camp that says the color of your smoke is irrelevant.  If if the kamado is up to temp and you don't have thick white smoke oozing out of the top vent, you are ready to cook.  In fact, the less smoke I see the better off I am.  It doesn't have to be 'visible' smoke at all for it to be functioning in the cook.

John,

You're looking for the rational, this experiment is all about the emotional.

Agreed. Thin Blue and clear smoke are actually the same. Both are very close on the spectrum. Clear smoke is still blue. It's a shade of blue outside of our visual spectrum.

Foil doesn't offer that much control. I'm trying to duplicate Ceramic Chef's blue smoke generator for the Big Joe. The goal is to push the smoke down into the hottest part of the fire to generate blue/clear smoke. I want to see if I can generate blue/clear smoke off the bat without creating any bad white smoke.

Sometimes you experiment just for the sake of seeing what happens. It's part of the fun of being a Kamado user.

I performed the same test with my 2QT dutch oven and had great results on my meatloaf and chicken this past weekend.  I will say that the results had the most pronounced smoke ring that I have ever achieved on my Big Joe.  I did drill a few more holes in the DO but I was able to cook for over 4 hours with still having blue smoke all the way to the end.  It pretty much did exactly what I was hoping to accomplish.  

I would call my test a success and I am OK taking a little heat from the wife on drilling into her dutch oven.  At least its one that hadn't been used in many years. ;)

I performed the same test with my 2QT dutch oven and had great results on my meatloaf and chicken this past weekend. I will say that the results had the most pronounced smoke ring that I have ever achieved on my Big Joe. I did drill a few more holes in the DO but I was able to cook for over 4 hours with still having blue smoke all the way to the end. It pretty much did exactly what I was hoping to accomplish.

I would call my test a success and I am OK taking a little heat from the wife on drilling into her dutch oven. At least its one that hadn't been used in many years. ;)

Just don't drill holes into any of her French ovens. Then she'll have your head for sure. It's good to hear your having good results. Which brand of lump did you have in the mix?

Just don't drill holes into any of her French ovens. Then she'll have your head for sure. It's good to hear your having good results. Which brand of lump did you have in the mix?

RO is what I primally use as it is found easily around here.  I love KJ lump but I don't want to make the 30 minute drive to go and pick some up.  Would rather just go around the corner.

RO is what I primally use as it is found easily around here.  I love KJ lump but I don't want to make the 30 minute drive to go and pick some up.  Would rather just go around the corner.

People shouldn't confuse this DO mod with wrapping wood in foil. Foil is an insulator. It does more to smother smoke than it does to create it. This design is using cast iron as a heat conductor to provide even wood burning you can't get from foil. The holes are drilled into the bottom of the DO to drive a jet of smoke from the pot down into the hotest part of the fire. The end result is clean blue/clear smoke similar to what you get when using an offset.

I'm all about the results. As long I'm getting good results and great food, I'm happy. I've also learned tricks to getting blue smoke without a DO by burning the wood deeper in the lump. There's less control in that techinique. You actually burn about 1/3 wood before it burns clean enough to start smoking. This technique produces instant blue smoke and instant results. It's all possible at the cost of $32 USD dollars for a 2qt DO.

It's a cheap solution that won't set back any KG members of they want to try it themselves. I'll continue to use this technique if it can products great meals.

How big are they dutch ovens? Are they too big to fit in a Vision Classic?

I can check the space out this weekend for you.  I have only used mine in my Big Joe but I have a Vision Classic sitting over in the corner feeling a little lonely.  My guess is that there won't be enough room but I am willing to take a look for you.