2 QT Wood Chunk Smoking Pot

Charcoal Addict

CC & CA,

What are your thoughts on using a 1-quart CI pot?

It'll work. You be restricted to two wood chunks mixed with some wood chips to fill the pot. You'll only want 2-3 holes to build up pressure inside the DO.

You will never build pressure in the pot. You will limit airflow.

Actually you do. Just not significant pressure. The 250F hot air expansion creates some pressure that forces the air back downward. We're not taking an air hose here, we're talking about the kind of air pressure you get when you have a 98 year old trying to blow through a straw.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=35028596&clickid=body_rv_txt&bc=RecentView_this is an inexpensive oven  free shipping  right before Christmas  perfect gift to self

I saw this 1qt today online. I was thinking of ordering it however the 2 qt version did not get good reviews due to a poorly fitting lid. I'm going to try to stop by the store in the next day or two & see if they have them in the store. I just hate to ruin a new Lodge Dutch Oven.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=35028596&clickid=body_rv_txt&bc=RecentView_this is an inexpensive oven  free shipping  right before Christmas  perfect gift to self

I saw this 1qt today online. I was thinking of ordering it however the 2 qt version did not get good reviews due to a poorly fitting lid. I'm going to try to stop by the store in the next day or two & see if they have them in the store. I just hate to ruin a new Lodge Dutch Oven.

The folks at Lodge will forgive you as long as you don't use the pic of the of your murdered lodge DO on your X-Mas cards. The Lodge are cheap enough to use for this task. You'll be hard pressed to find another brand that can sit right inside the fire without warping.

You won't be saving anything if you stick a cheap CI DO that warps from sitting down in the coal. We're not destroying lodge DO for the sake of destroying Lodge DO's. The Lodge DO is one of the few DO up to the task to sitting directly in the inferno.

@Charcoal Addict - I've never owned any cast iron cookware as I have stainless steel cookware so what do you look for when choosing a quality piece of cast iron cookware? I mean how do you know if it is strong enough to resist warping? I only ask because I am thinking of trying out this method in the future.

@Charcoal Addict - I've never owned any cast iron cookware as I have stainless steel cookware so what do you look for when choosing a quality piece of cast iron cookware? I mean how do you know if it is strong enough to resist warping? I only ask because I am thinking of trying out this method in the future.

Lodge would still be your best bet. They're one of the last US made CI DO manufacturers. They have a long history of delivering quality prodcucts. You can find cheaper DO's from China and Malaysia, their reliability would erase any cost savings for this task.

I stopped by Dick's Sporting Goods on the way into the office this morning. The only CI that they carry in the store is Lodge. The sales guy in the camping section said the Stansport CI is available by online order only & not carried in the store. He said he has seen several pieces that have been returned to the store for refund but did not know what the problems were.

Got it via Amazon for $16.82.

May the Lodge Gods forgive me.

Apply
Order Summary
Item(s) Subtotal: 
$25.07
Shipping & Handling:
$0.00

Total before tax:
$25.07
Estimated tax to be collected:
$1.75
Gift Card Amount:
-$10.00

Grand Total:
$16.82

I made one of these pots years ago - three 1/8" holes in the bottom of a small lodge DO. I only use it on rare occasions, but I'm curious - are you guys sealing the lid on with a flour/water paste, or just putting it in place?

I do remember being lazy a couple times and just putting the lid on without sealing it, but can't recall if there was any adverse effect from not sealing it closed.

• 1 month later...

Well I finally drilled the 3 - ⅛" hole in the bottom of the 2qt Lodge DO. I cooked 6 slabs of Baby Back Ribs ( total weight 20.1 lbs. ) & filled the DO w/ Apple & Hickory chunks. Five hours later the ribs came out perfect with the correct smoke flavor. I added 2 qts. of charcoal to my collection & the best part was no acrid smoke taste or smoke in the eyes when opening up the BigJoe for some spritzing.

Thank you Charcoal Addict & CeramicChef.

Awesome news. Mine is done just need to get around to using it. Did you seal the lid???

I did not have to seal the lid. The two surfaces are matched very evenly. Before I drilled the hole I put about a qt of water in the DO and than held the lid tight & flipped it over. I had very minor amount of water seeped out.