Oly Smokes

14. PennHead

PennHead

15. DerHusker

DerHusker

• Similar Content

• By Colin Barbeau
      Good day guys,
      This is my first post, I was waiting to have something new to post before officially joining. Been looking at the forum for the last year: great stuff! I was very frustrated with the plastic shelves that came with the KJ (can melt) and I am not a fan of building a cart for my kamado: it takes place on the deck, it blocks the view and gathers snow (IMO). I like shelves, they fold back when you're done and you don't see them anymore.   I wanted shelves that are easy to clean, that are foldable, that support heat and that are wider than the standard ones, so I could fit a rib rack or a fully loaded divide and conquer without balance issues. I tried to keep the cost as low as possible while maintaining a design that was sturdy and would last a lifetime. 80 bucks later (Canadian bucks!), I had two aluminum shelves, 50% wider than the original ones and they are also lighter. You can't imagine the joy I got the first time I placed a hot ceramic heat diffuser on the shelves. Wow, this is a cheap luxury and I dig it!   Anyhow, if you guys want to build them, it is relatively easy: - Two 15.5 x 15.5 x 1/8 thk aluminum plates - Four 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/16 thk square aluminum tubes, 15 1/4 long (slightly shorter than the plates, just to be sure they don't protrude) - 16 rivets, 3/16 diameters   The tubes are mounted on the original KJ black steel brackets (remove the plastic bars), drill the tubes through the existing screw holes on the brackets and rivet in place. Position the plate, drill and rivet in the tubes.    Hope this will help someone, we deserve better than meltable shelves Cheers and all the best during these challenging times.   -Colin

• By DerHusker
      I’m really getting into wok cooking. Here a cook I did last Sunday for Dinner.

Here are most the ingredients.

Ingredient List:
      2 Tbsp light soy sauce
      1 Tbsp oyster sauce
      1 Tsp Siracha
      1 Tbsp butter
      2 eggs, beaten, seasoned with salt
      2 Tbsp cooking oil (I used Sesame)
      2 cloves garlic, chopped (approximately 1 1/2 tsp)
      1 1/2 tsp chopped ginger
      1/2 cup small diced onion (approximately 1/2 of medium size onion)
      1 boneless skinless chicken thighs (approximately 4 to 5 oz) (I used Chicken Breast)
      1/4 cup carrot, small diced
      2 cups cold jasmine rice, or brown jasmine rice, recommended a day old (I used Cauliflower Rice)
      1/4 cup frozen peas, optional (I added Celery)
      4 green onions, chopped
      sesame seeds for garnish
      salt and pepper

I heated up the wok and put in 1 tbsp. of sesame oil. I then put in the ginger, garlic and onion and let them start to soften.

Next was the carrots. (Cooked for approximately 1 minute)

Next was the chicken. (Cooked until it was opaque)

Next was the celery including some leaves. (Cooked for approximately 1 minute)

Now I added the rice and the sauce. (Mixed it together and cooked for approximately 1 minute)

Next, I moved the mixture aside and added another tbsp. of sesame oil

and added the beaten eggs. (Cooked until it had mostly formed solid. Approximately 1 minute)

I then mix everything together. (Cooked for approximately 1 minute)

And finally, I added the green onion.

I cooked it for approximately 30 seconds and served.

Sorry no plated shot but this was delicious!

Thanks for looking.
    • By Marty
      I found this interesting.Please disregard if already posted.

• By Will S.
      I am looking at Kamado Joe grills.  A few questions:

1. I'm sold on the quality and the cooking benefits.  Now to size.  My thinking is the Big Joe will cover me for all cookouts, large and small.  However, I don't need that capacity often, and a classic would probably cover 95% of my cooking.  I don't mind going bigger, even think it might be smart.  But I'm wondering if I do, will I be locking myself into using more coal cooking smaller quantities in the Big Joe?  Example, if I'm cooking 4 nice steaks, will I have to burn more coal to cook them in a big Joe vs a classic?  I'm leaning towards Big Joe, just trying to understand if I do, am I buying a gas guzzler (coal guzzler)?

2. These things seem to have very long lives.  Outside of cracks and something hidden, is there really much downside to buying one a few years old second hand?  Anything besides cracks to look out for?

3. I've been reading to see if BGE or KJ has a big enough edge to really matter.  Looks to me like they are both incredible products and I can't go wrong either way.  Seem right?

Thanks, I hope to be contributing soon!
    • By adamhorner
      I’m new to the forum but just picked up the KJ Classic (but with the black shelving and handle, not bamboo and divide and conquer setup, not the older triangle setup) for $699.99 + tax, clearanced from $999.99 with free ship to store and currently free assembly and delivery on all grills over $399 at Ace Hardware if you’re an Ace Rewards program member (free loyalty program). Haven’t seen the Classic anywhere else for less than $800-$900.  I was about to spring for the Classic II, but with this deal at $500 less ($1199 seems to be the prevailing sticker for the Classic II) I decided I could live without the Air Lift hinge and Kontrol Tower (Think I like the cast iron with daisy wheel better for longevity, anyways).  Anyways, here is the website, I imagine Ace is trying to clear inventory so they can sell some more Classic IIs.

https://m.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=42684056