• 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

• 2 cups beef broth

• 1/4 cup heavy cream

• 1/4 teaspoon white sugar

• 1/8 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

• salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

• cooking spray

Directions

1. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir onion and salt in butter until onion begins to turn translucent, about 6 minutes
  2. Transfer onion mixture to a large bowl. Add milk, eggs, bread crumbs, black pepper, nutmeg, allspice, and cayenne pepper to the breadcrumb mixture; stir to combine.
  3. Mix beef and pork into the bread crumb mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
  4. With wet hands, make small meatballs and place in braising pan for baking.  Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.  An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 160 degrees F (70 degrees C).
  5. While meatballs are baking, melt 2 tablespoons butter in skillet over medium heat; whisk flour into butter and cook until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Slowly whisk beef broth into butter mixture.
  6. Increase heat to medium-high, whisk cream into mixture and bring to a simmer. Stir sugar and Worcestershire sauce into gravy. Simmer until slightly thickened, 6 to 7 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper.   
  7. Pour over meatballs in kamado.  Continue cooking for 10 minutes, remove from kamado and rest 10 minutes before serving.

post-4468-0-12759100-1442715953_thumb.jp

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Lydia
      Okay, this is my entry number 2 for the June Pizza Challenge and this is my other favourite pizza combo.  Before joining the  kamado club, it's one I would make in the oven at home and also in a cake tin in my baby weber Q when we're camping.  Turns out perfectly every time and the best part is there is NO KNEADING required. :-)

The Crust

Can be made using cold water if leaving overnight or hot tap water if you would like to make it the same day but from my experience, there is better flavour development overnight using cold water.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups all purpose or bread flour
      1/4 teaspoon yeast
      1 teaspoon salt
      3/4 cup cold water

1. Place all ingredients in the bowl and combine using a regular spoon until there is no dry flour left in the bowl.  It can be quite rough and shaggy. This is fine. You're not aiming for a smooth dough.
      2. Cover with plastic wrap and leave overnight (or for approx 4 to 6 hr, depending on the weather if you used hot water)
      3. One hour before you want to cook, drizzle about 3/4 tablespoon of olive oil in the cast iron skillet or cake tin or whatever you're going to use and wipe it all around and up the sides as well.
      4. Put the dough in and with a bit of the oil still on your fingertips, spread the dough out gently prodding it outwards until it reaches the sides of the pan
      5. Cover with a plate or plastic wrap and leave it for an hour to settle in and puff up a bit more .

The Topping

- One can of whole Italian tomatoes, blended and cooked down with a little water, salt and Italian herbs.  (This does me for 4 pizzas and usually apportion into small sealy bags so I have it ready to defrost when next making a pizza.
      - shredded mozzarella
      - 3 Italian sausages, skins removed and basically squeezing out a bunch of meatballs to the size you desire
      - some fennel seeds, that I cook the little meatballs part way on the stove prior to putting on the pizza
      - sliced red peppers / capsicum
      - On this particular pizza, I did add a bit of the leftover zucchini and pesto from the thin and crispy prawn pizza I had just made
      - some rocket dressed with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice to put on the pizza just prior to serving ... making it pretty much a meal ... healthy greens included :-)

The kamado was cranked up to 550F and then in she went!  

The set up in the Kamado was with the grills in position with the deflectors on top then the cast iron pan sitting on some terracotta pot plant feet as spacers.
      M

It took between 15 and 20 mins and it was delicious :-)

• By John Setzler
      Recipe:

Meatballs:

Preheat grill to 250°F and add one chunk of smoking wood of your choice.
      1lb ground beef
      1 cup italian bread crumbs
      1/2 cup finely minced onion
      3/4 tsp salt
      1/4 tsp black pepper
      2 cloves of minced garlic
      1/4 cup parsley
      1/4 cup grated parmesan
      1 lightly beaten egg

Mix together completely by hand and then form into individual meatballs of whatever size you like.  Place on the grill over indirect heat and cook until you reach an internal temperature of about 160°F.  Remove from the grill and set aside.  These can be done in advance and put in the refrigerator until ready to use.

Sauce:

Preheat small dutch oven over medium heat.  
      Preheat grill to 375°F and set up for indirect cooking.
      2 tablespoons olive oil
      2 finely chopped onions
      4 cloves minced garlic
      1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
      1 15oz can tomato sauce
      1 1/2 tsp salt
      2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
      2 tablespoons sugar
      1 tablespoon garlic powder
      1 tablespoon dried basil
      1 tablespoon dried tarragon
      1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (OPTIONAL - makes it spicy!)

Add the olive oil and onions to the dutch oven and sautee for 8 minutes or so until the onions are softened.  Add the minced garlic and stir for another minute or so.

Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer.  Let simmer uncovered for 10-15 minutes.  Place the cover on the dutch oven and let simmer for an hour or so or until ready to use.

1 16oz box angel hair pasta (or past of your choice) cooked to instructions on packaging.
      Mozzarella cheese to taste
      Parmesan cheese to taste

Add the cooked pasta to a 12" cast iron skillet that has been greased.  Ladle in the sauce.  Place the meatballs on top of the sauce.  Top with mozzarella cheese and some parmesan if desired as well. 

Place pan on grill and cook at 375°F until bubbly and browned on top.  Allow to cool for 10 minutes or so and serve!

Enjoy!

• By Smokehowze
      Meat & Potato Pie Extraordinaire

This meat and potato pie with a mushroom and onion beef gravy is cooked in a Kamado Joe dutch oven.  The over the top aspect of this pie is that the meat is not just a typical pan-browned ground beef  - they are grilled meatballs - and that the sauce is mushroom enhanced.   The accompaniment was an inslata caprese in a heart of romaine boat using my homemade mozzarella.

A full set of the prep and cook photos is below the write up.

The beef is made into meatballs that are about 1 ¼ inch in diameter with chopped onion, parsley, minced garlic, salt and black pepper, some Lea & Perrins, one egg beaten with some half and half and just enough bread crumbs to lightly bind the meat.   They are gently mixed and formed to keep them on the looser side.

Why the meatballs you ask?   Well, I wanted the meat to be browned and have a grilled and smoky flavor but also not to be dried out like they could get if grilled as a burger patty.    Plus the flavor of a meatball is just so good all by itself and they were made small enough to remain mostly intact in the pie.    So by making the meatballs I could grill them on Joe at 375 on direct heat with some pecan wood.  They do not take long to cook.  Keep a close eye in them.  

This approach browned the meatballs, just got them to the cooked point and gave them a grilled richness and a moistness for the pie – just what I wanted in the dish to add the “extraordinaire” touch.

The gravy is fresh sliced/chopped mushrooms that were reduced in butter and olive oil over high heat.  When they have caramelized, reduce heat, add onions and sweat for several minutes.  Add some red pepper flakes and the flour (I used several tablespoons) and stir to get the flour well coated in the oil and butter. 

Next finish out the sauce with initially  about 2 cups of a low sodium beef broth enhanced with an extra bouillon cube or two.  I actually used 2 tablespoons  of  “Better than Bouillion Beef Base” in 2 cups water for a very beefy stock.   I also added ½ cup half and half (it was left over).   Adjust sauce thickness to be a  slow pourable gravy.   Amend with additional liquid if necessary  – I used milk to adjust.   If needed, you can add extra flour for more thickness by mixing in cool water before adding.

The potatoes were reds that were left over from dinner the day before.

Layer the meatballs, potatoes, and gravy in the dutch oven.  Cover with pie crust.  Brush crust with a wash of an egg mixed with a bit of water.  Poke vent holes in crust.  There are two crusts in the package and I used 1 -1/2 .

The pie was baked indirect in the Kamado at 400 for around 45 minutes until the crust is browned.    I raised the temp to 450 after 35 minutes when the filling started to bubble thru the crust vent holes as the crust was not at the top level of the dutch oven and I wanted to speed the browning with a hotter air flow since it was recessed.

As lagniappe, since the accompaniment for the meal was going to be a variation of an insalata caprese with my homemade mozzarella cheese, when I saw I had left over pie crust I quickly put together some “pizza” margherita appetizers.    No sauce – just some olive oil on the crust.  Cooked next to the pie for about 15 minutes until cheese finally started to toast and the crust had set up.  They were really good.

I gotta tell ya, and the family will agree, this was indeed a meat and potato pie extraordinaire.  The flavor from the grilled meatballs with some smokiness was outstanding and was well complemented by the mushroom/onion gravy.  It was hard to stop at just seconds.  Glad there is enough left over for lunches and/or another meal.

It may be a simple dish but certainly one that could be served to company with rave reviews.    

The dutch oven was the perfect cooking vessel on this type of cook.

Here is the prep and cook from start to finish in photos:

The Meatballs

Meatballs  (all 42 of them – about 2.5 lbs of Costco ground beef)

The Raw Meatballs

Cooking on Big Joe (you have to carefully turn them with spatula and tongs to avoid them breaking apart – cook unit just done – do not overcook and risk drying them out)

They Tasted Good Just Like This

The Sauce/Gravy

The Mushrooms and Onions

Sauteed in Butter and Olive Oil

After Addition of the Flour

The Finished Gravy (it is good all by itself, too – would be great over toast points)

Finalizing the Pie

The Cooked Potatoes

Putting It Together

Add the Gravy

Now The Pie Crusts

Time to Bake

Get it Baking on Big Joe (use a double deflector with air spacer to keep bottom from burning)

The Appetizer is Ready to Serve

Pie is Baked – Yeah!

Wonderful Crust

A Last Look

Thanks for virtually sharing this meal.

• By Dub
      I told my wife to get off the telephone and come into the kitchen....she had a nice pair to choose from.

I was giving her all the warning I could before Teenage T-Rex found out that he could engage in his next feeding frenzy.

I'd planned on doing this cook on the BigJoe, but I'd not cleaned up my pizza stone and other pizza cooking gear.....normally not an issue but there was an event one of them had to leave for early this evening.....so it was done indoors.  It went together so fast that my first pie was rolled, sauced and topped and waiting when the oven finally beeped that warm-up was done.  That's fast.  Second pie was right behind and waiting.

Feeling much better and moving much easier.

Great thing was had the area to myself and engaged in some audio-therapy.  Enjoyed most of this great album while getting everything cooked. Nothing screams Summer time like the Red Rocker.  I'm looking forward to his new album release date in a couple weeks !!!

This pair was done with a desire to make two light, yet flavor filled pizzas.  Neither of us like the heavy, greasy, loaded pies that I used to make or that we usually wind up with at a pizza joint.

Lighter and flavorful.....hmmmmn.  It's a stretch for me because I love the toppings that I use.....and I tend to love too much of each.   I think I succeeded with these.....just didn't quite get the tops done as well as my BigJoe would have.  Gotta love that radiant heat coming off the dome.  Even the use of the broiler in the oven just didn't get me there.

A pair of these easy to work with and great tasting dough balls.

Okay....here is the light yet flavorful part.  Both dough balls were rolled out fairly thin.  One was sauced with pesto sauce cut with a small amount of lemon juice.  The other one was sauced with Cento brand San Marzano peeled tomatoes.  I simply put the tomatoes on the dough...chopped them apart with a spoon and spread them along with some of sauce from the can.  Both were hit with a generous amount of Italian seasonings and fresh ground pepper and then the toppings applied....very light on the mozzarella.

These things are hugely flavorful and easy....just dump in a bowl and shake out the including topping packets and dressing.

No plated pics.....sorry.....it would have required a fast action speed that I'm not yet capable of.  T-Rex found out what was going on just as the second pie was finishing..........

• By Dub
      Felt like doing an easy to make meal in the kitchen while enjoying some tunes and strong iced tea  this afternoon.  

Newer stuff:

Old stuff:

Italian sausage & lean ground beef and the usual suspects.

Sautéed the onion & sweet pepper with some Chupacabra rub & fresh ground pepper......marinara sauce with black olives added to pot later and simmered while the meatballs cooked in the oven on a handy broiling pan.

Kitchen was at least sounding & smelling good due to the meatballs cooking and the garlic, basil and other seasonings in the sauce simmering.

Crazy looking meatballs.....but the flavor was way better than the appearance.....thankfully. 

Did a few of them as moink-balls for my son.   He wants some for breakfast. ???   Okay, kid....you may be onto something.....we'll see.

I know the black olives don't really look appealing in the sauce.....but my wife and I love 'em.     There is a certain brand that she buys that we really prefer......red can.....pitted.....can't remember the brand.

Start to finish was just at an hour. 

Everything was really good by their comments.....I thought it was okay.....but just nowhere in the ballpark of the herb-smoked recipe that John put up a couple months ago.  Those were the best I've ever made.  So good, in fact that I was begged to do another batch the very next day.  

I just don't get into the cooking as much when there is no grill involved.  

My wife rushed me outa the kitchen and cleaned up the mess I made and I've been resigned to watching my Cavaliers get their teeth kicked in by the Bulls and transitioning off tea to ice water.   Gonna get a good night's sleep tonight.  

Hope you all are doing well today and thanks for looking.