Basil-Pesto Italian Chicken

John Setzler

Made this tonight and it was phenomenal. Man, pesto is good. 

As a note, my chicken breasts were pretty thick, and it took me about 60 minutes @ 350degrees for two of them to get to IT of 160-165. I was baking in pyrex on the grill and was freaked out going over 400 degrees, so I kept the temp a bit lower.

Made this tonight and it was phenomenal. Man, pesto is good.

As a note, my chicken breasts were pretty thick, and it took me about 60 minutes @ 350degrees for two of them to get to IT of 160-165. I was baking in pyrex on the grill and was freaked out going over 400 degrees, so I kept the temp a bit lower.

One thing to consider - Pyrex is a bear to clean after being in the grill. Buy a cheapie ceramic baking pan from Walmart to use on the grill. Way easier to clean and no issues going up to 500*.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 years later...

Had some homemade pesto cubes in the freezer from awhile back and thought this would be a great way to use them up. Man, was this dish easy to make and came out perfect. Looked exactly like the dish in John's video. Wife even said how good the dish was, which is something coming from her. She is a Le Cordon Bleu culinary graduate. She did mention that I might have pounded the breasts down a little. In retrospect, I don't think I should have said she could pound sand.  :wub:

All in all, a great dish for the grill or the oven. And yes, the garlic is NOT optional.

• 1 month later...

Gonna make this again tonight on my Weber Smokey Joe at the beach:

As I suspected, the beach property grill is funky, glad we brought this with us.

I haven't made this yet but I see left overs finding their way with a little Ricotta  into some manicotti shells.  

I love recipes like this, so versatile.