Wood for smoking

divot1973

Don't forget to poke about your yard, of your neighbors' yards. Me, I've got a number of scrub oaks, some of which have recently been thinned. My neighbor just felled a pecan tree, and was kind enough to give me a few cuts. I've pretty much got an inexhaustible source of smoking wood, in this manner...

Oh, and for very small-fast cooks, i use pellets. They're very quick to yield smoke, and it only takes a handful for most quick smokes. Cheap and easy.

Thanks to this thread I ordered a box of peach wood.

Peach wood is great but for a change up try using Mangrove. It's great for beef, chicken & fish. It was the go to wood for smoking Kingfish & Mullet until the State put a stop on trimming Mangroves. I get a bundle or two each year from a state licensed Mangrove trimmer.

I have purchased the peach chunks from fruitawood and it was very good.  Apple is still my favorite and soon will have enough for many years.  Getting ready to cut down a 20 ft apple tree at my moms that she doesn't want any longer.  Might need to purchase some apple from fruitawood to get me buy until the wood is seasoned.  

So, fruitawood gets great reviews here.

Sell me on it. Why is fruitawood worth the hassle of ordering online and paying shipping, when I can get Weber chunks at Home Depot?

I'm not saying it's not worth it, just wondering what the reasoning is behind buying online...