• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
    • John Setzler

$3 Plate Lunch Challenge!   01/16/2018

Don't forget to participate in this challenge!!!    
John Setzler

The GURU Gift and Gadget Guide

Welcome to the Kamado Guru Gift and Gadget guide!  This list will guide you in the right direction for great accessories and gift ideas for your Kamado grill!

The Maverick ET-733 Remote Wireless Thermometer

et733.jpg

The Maverick ET-733 is a very popular dual probe wireless temperature monitoring system for your grill or smoker.  This device has two probes so it can monitor the ambient temperature inside your grill as well as the internal temperature of the meat on your grill.  The wireless remote allows you to monitor these temperatures from up to a couple hundred feet away under the right conditions.  It also has high/low temperature alarm settings so it can alert you when your grill temperature changes too much one way or the other and when your meat is done.

The Maverick ET-85 Dual Probe Thermometer

et85.jpg

The Maverick ET-85 is a GREAT solution for using in your grill if you don't have a need for wireless monitoring.  I personally prefer this one over the wireless system and its durability is outstanding from my experience.  It's a lot less expensive and it works well.  THIS is a solid tool to have at your disposal.

The Maverick PT-100 Instant Read Thermometer

PT-100.jpg

An instant read thermometer is a must-have tool for any serious barbecue enthusiast or grillmaster.  No matter how often Uncle Bob tells you he can tell when the meat is ready by looking at it, it just ain't so!  The Maverick PT-100 is as fast as its more expensive counterpart and it's less expensive.  I also believe it's a bit more durable in its construction.  I have used this model and the competitor model and would prefer this one if I had to choose between the two.

The Lavatools Javelin Instant Read Thermometer

lavatoolsjavelin.jpg

In all reality, I prefer NOT spending a lot of money on high end instant read thermometers.  I picked up one of these recently on sale and, for the price, this will become my go-to barbecue and grilling thermometer.  You can't beat this for around $25.  It gives me accurate readings in 4 to 5 seconds.  I would have to spend a minimum of twice as much and usually 4x as much to get 2 to 3 second readings.  In my mind, it's not worth it to go high end on this product.  Save your money for MEAT!

Oxo Kitchen Timer:

OxoTimer.jpg

The Oxo kitchen timer is a perfect tool for keeping up with your cooking time.  It will count up or down and the keypad allows you to key in your desired countdown time without having to scroll up and down through the entire cycle of times.  It's quick, dirty, and effective!

Oxo Triple Kitchen Timer:

OxoTripleTimer.jpg

The Oxo Triple Timer is just like the previous model but it will keep up with three different times.  I have this model and I wouldn't want to do without it!

FoodSaverV2244.jpg

FoodSaver V2244:

If you don't have a FoodSaver for storing your leftovers in vacuum seal bags, you are missing out!  Vacuum sealing your leftovers will allow you to keep them in the freezer a LOT longer with no fear of freezer burn and food breakdown.  You can also reheat your food in the freezer bag in a pot of hot water for a perfect reheat!  This basic model of the FoodSaver works really well for small batch vacuum sealing.

FoodSaverv4840.jpg

FoodSaver V4840:

If you want to Vaccum seal with a little more style, flair, and larger batch jobs, try this model.  You won't be disappointed!

umaikit.jpg

UMAI Dry Aged Steak Starter Kit:

The UMAI Dry Aged Steak Starter kit is the perfect starting point for dry aging your own beef at home.  This kit comes with the proper model of Food Saver vacuum sealer for this project.  The other models can be made to work, but this model is the preferred solution for dry aging at home with the UMAI dry aging bags.  

This is one of the MOST USEFUL add-on accessories for the Kamado grill that you will ever find.  Here my brief demo/review video of this product:

kabdemo.jpg

The Kick Ash Basket!

On Your Bookshelf!

There are a lot of great books out there but these are books I consider to be MUST HAVES for your bookshelf:  This book teaches you lots of important concepts of cooking great barbecue!

meathead.jpg

The Science of Great Barbecue and Grilling by Meathead Goldwyn

This is one of my most recent purchases and it has quickly floated to the TOP of my list of recommendations...

ExcKam.jpg

Exclusively Kamado

Check out "Exclusively Kamado" from our own Paul Sidoriak (GrillingMontana on the Kamado Guru Forum!)  This book is full of great instruction and food ideas for your Kamado Grill!  I have been enjoying a lot of recipes from this book and look forward to a lot more!

Book-Grove.jpg

The Kamado Smoker & Grill Cookbook

This book by Chris Groves is my FIRST recommendation to any kamado grill owner.  This book has a ton of great information on general use of the kamado style grills along with a LOT of GREAT recipes and cooking ideas!

Book-Lilly.jpg

Fire & Smoke: A Pitmaster's Secrets

Chris Lilly's most recent cookbook is one of my favorites.  I have cooked a lot of recipes from this one and I have yet to be disappointed!  It's one of my go-to resources for ideas.

Book-Lampe.jpg

Slow Fire - The Beginner's Guide to Barbecue

Ray Lampe's book is also full of great recipes and barbecue cooking technique.  Although this book is not specific to Kamado cooking, Ray IS a kamado cook and an advocate of this style!

Book-Lang.jpg

Serious Barbecue

Adam Perry Lang's "Serious Barbecue" is also a MUST but it's a book you should get AFTER you have some experience with barbecue and grilling.  This is not a book for beginners.  THIS IS MY FAVORITE of all my barbecue and grilling cookbooks.  Mr. Lang's ability to put together flavor combinations and layers and his techniques for doing so are truly amazing!

bacon.jpg

Bacon 24/7 - Theresa Gilliam

I was browsing the stacks and Barnes & Noble and ran across this gem!  This book is packed with fantastic recipes that feature Bacon!  This is a MUST for the bacon lover!

amazn1.jpg

A-MAZE-N Pellet Smoker 5x8

The A-AMAZE-N Pellet Smoker 5x8 maze is a perfect tool for generating cold smoke to take care of all your cold smoking needs.  I have this unit as well as one of the tubes.  The tubes generate more smoke but also create more heat in a confined space.  

amazn2.jpg

A-MAZE-N Pellet Tube Smoker 12"

The 12" A-MAZE-N Pellet Tube smoker is another great tool for adding smoke to your grill or for cold smoking.  This tube smoker creates a good bit more smoke than the maze but it also creates more heat and can be less effective for cold smoking low temp items such as cheese unless your smoke box/grill or whatever you are smoking in is large enough...  It works great!

O'h Lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz all my friends drive Porsh's ... Really I am taking delivery of a Vision S grill Monday all my friends have BGE's. The question I have is the plate setter for a BGE a better piece of equipment than what comes with the Vision S ? It appears that the BGE plate setter will sit higher in the dome. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Newbie here hope I have asked this in the proper way, place

Thanks

elbatiger

O'h Lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz all my friends drive Porsh's ... Really I am taking delivery of a Vision S grill Monday all my friends have BGE's. The question I have is the plate setter for a BGE a better piece of equipment than what comes with the Vision S ? It appears that the BGE plate setter will sit higher in the dome. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Newbie here hope I have asked this in the proper way, place

Thanks

elbatiger

This question should be asked in the vision forum as a new thread rather than replying to an existing thread

Awesome post John!  I wish I saw this list prior to buying a replacement instant read thermometer that just went out.  Oh well, I know what to get when the next one goes out.  Fantastic post and list of items!  Thanks for centralizing!!

I bought 2 sets of FireWire skewers at a yard sale. They were unopened, sets of 4, and were $3 each. I figured I couldn't go wrong on that deal.

I've probably used them twice, maybe three times since I got them (probably almost a year ago), but I don't skewer a lot. I don't think I've used other skewers in that same time frame.

I find that they work okay. They are a bit unwieldy - they flop around a lot when you are trying to turn them. And, since they are round, and the needle end makes a slightly larger hole than the diameter of the wire itself, the food tends to spin.

They do hold a ton of food, but the more you load them up, the harder they are to work with. Not impossible, just have to work a bit harder to wrangle them where you want.

I don't think I've used them on the kamado yet, but the 'bendability' might be pretty useful on the kamado. It didn't really help on the gasser.

Overall - They work, but not as well as I imagined, but for $4, they were worth it. Not sure if they are worth it at the regular price - you can probably get a larger set of flat ones for less.