mjasonlane

Another Interesting Kickstarter Project

After backing the Carson Rodizio project on Kickstarter I find myself spending time on that website.....

I just backed another interesting project......  Check it out......  I've got a Maverick ET-732, but the total wireless intrigues me........  I'm all for gambling.......

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1977846026/meater-the-first-truly-wireless-smart-meat-thermom?ref=discovery

Interesting.

However, unless you spring for the Meater Block the probes are just Bluetooth (not WiFi) which can be very finicky/problematic so they may not work very well unless you stay right beside your grill.

Neat concept. But I know nothing about Kickstarter:  If the project doesn't meet its goal, what happens to the money? Is your pledge refunded or do the inventors get a paid vacation to the Caribbean?

Neat concept. But I know nothing about Kickstarter:  If the project doesn't meet its goal, what happens to the money? Is your pledge refunded or do the inventors get a paid vacation to the Caribbean?

You spend no money til project is goal is 100%!!!!

Time to pull out the bucket of water, and rain on the parade.

No commercially available battery (other than the molten metal variety, which is not commercially available), is rated to operate (without leaking or bursting) at 212 degrees.  All batteries age (wear out) quickly at elevated temperatures.

It will be a really cool product, which has a high failure rate due to the battery problem.  Even electronics die more quickly at elevated temperatures (electromigration).  There is a reason why everyone else runs wires from the thermocouple/thermistor, to the electronics/battery.  Don't get sucked in, unless you want a probe which will work for a few weeks, and then die dismally. 

I am sure their engineers will "discover" this after they have sucked up all the money and walked away.  This type of failure is predictable and repeatable.

High temperature protection is why your cell phone automatically switches Off, when it is left in a hot car for a period of time. 

No commercially available battery (other than the molten metal variety, which is not commercially available), is rated to operate (without leaking or bursting) at 212 degrees.  All batteries age (wear out) quickly at elevated temperatures.

It will be a really cool product, which has a high failure rate due to the battery problem.  Even electronics die more quickly at elevated temperatures (electromigration).  There is a reason why everyone else runs wires from the thermocouple/thermistor, to the electronics/battery.  Don't get sucked in, unless you want a probe which will work for a few weeks, and then die dismally. 

I am sure their engineers will "discover" this after they have sucked up all the money and walked away.  This type of failure is predictable and repeatable.

High temperature protection is why your cell phone automatically switches Off, when it is left in a hot car for a period of time. 

this is a good point.  interesting...

But where is the battery? According to their page, the "electronics" are contained within the portion of the probe that's inserted into the meat. Does this include the battery?

If the battery is located somewhere near the thermistor, it wouldn't likely reach anywhere near 212 degrees except on pork butt / brisket cooks where we run IT up to ~200. A typical rotisserie roasted cook (likely to be what we'd use it for) might hit 160 tops, and that only for chicken. 

As an electrical engineer, I think your criticism is warranted, and a cause for concern. But it's not insurmountable, depending on the design.

I suspect that the creators of the gadget would respond that the battery & electronics are in the part of the probe that is in the meat so the temp does NOT get above 212*F,  I do hope it works but I have bought so much useless stuff that I will cross my fingers and gamble on this 8)