mjasonlane

Another Interesting Kickstarter Project

Pulled pork and brisket certainly came to mind.  Remember the body of the device is acting as a heat-sink (cooled by the meat).  The part which does stick out will carry heat to the shaft.  The shaft will always be hotter than the meat which is cooling it (due to a higher temperature introduced from the outside end of the shaft).  So if terminal temperature of the pork butt is 203, the actual shaft will be hotter (read as battery and electronics). Even if the battery does not leak or burst, its lifetime will be significantly shortened.  The same is true of the electronics inside the shaft as well.  The classical method of determining Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) of electronic devices (in a short period of time), is to run it at elevated temperatures, then multiply its lifespan (at elevated temperatures) by a number (which changes according to the baking temperature).  It is well accepted high temperature causes early demise of electronics.  This is especially true of batteries.  

Interesting. Has anyone posted this question to the product page? I am all for the discussion, but the practical part of me wants the answer from the only people who can really answer the question.

The Kickstarter page rates the product up to 212 F for IT and 572 for the grill. I am curious. Very curious. Maybe we can get Andy to demo this on his joetissary.

Interesting. Has anyone posted this question to the product page? I am all for the discussion, but the practical part of me wants the answer from the only people who can really answer the question.

The Kickstarter page rates the product up to 212 F for IT and 572 for the grill. I am curious. Very curious. Maybe we can get Andy to demo this on his joetissary.

They are assembling a FAG for the Kickstarter page.....

I found this chart that shows discharge temps for batteries

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_at_high_and_low_temperatures

Maybe they've insulated where the battery and electronics are. They'd need to find a way to cut about 20-degrees or more off of the temp that hits the battery. 

The body is stainless steel and black ceramic, so the part sticking out is a bit of an insulator, if the probe is inserted as shown in the video, it looks like they are taking some precautions in the material selections to try to keep the internal temperature of the probe as low as possible. There is a good deal of info in the comments, and the developers do seem to be listening and answering questions

Pulled pork and brisket certainly came to mind.  Remember the body of the device is acting as a heat-sink (cooled by the meat).  The part which does stick out will carry heat to the shaft.  The shaft will always be hotter than the meat which is cooling it (due to a higher temperature introduced from the outside end of the shaft).  So if terminal temperature of the pork butt is 203, the actual shaft will be hotter (read as battery and electronics). Even if the battery does not leak or burst, its lifetime will be significantly shortened.  The same is true of the electronics inside the shaft as well.  The classical method of determining Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) of electronic devices (in a short period of time), is to run it at elevated temperatures, then multiply its lifespan (at elevated temperatures) by a number (which changes according to the baking temperature).  It is well accepted high temperature causes early demise of electronics.  This is especially true of batteries.  

Yep. The old Arrhenius equation. I co-wrote a White Paper on how temperature affects NAND data retention ;-)

The thing about it is that this is an exponential curve. 160F (chicken temp) is 71C, at the edge of the temp range of commercial-grade electronics, and 185F is 85C, at the edgo of the grade of industrial-grade electronics. 130F (~steak temp) is 55C, and for some electronics, this temp is where their MTBF is calculated. (Some are 25C or 40C). 

Going from something where MTBF is calculated at 55C to 70C is only a 5x acceleration. Taking it up to 185 would be a 26x acceleration. So depending on the quality of the electronics, taking it up to chicken temps won't make an enormous difference. MTBF for simple electronics like this may easily be in the millions of hours, so that level of acceleration won't make it uncompetitive in an MTBF or AFR calculation, especially if it's only used for items cooked to 160 and below.

(Of course, if the MTBF for the electronics is calculated based on 25C, 70C then becomes ~251x acceleration, and the numbers do get a lot worse).

But as long the probes are considered disposable/consumable, as they pretty much are even with Maverick, and as long as they're not too expensive, I don't consider it a dealbreaker.

Yep. The old Arrhenius equation. I co-wrote a White Paper on how temperature affects NAND data retention ;-)

The thing about it is that this is an exponential curve. 160F (chicken temp) is 71C, at the edge of the temp range of commercial-grade electronics, and 185F is 85C, at the edgo of the grade of industrial-grade electronics. 130F (~steak temp) is 55C, and for some electronics, this temp is where their MTBF is calculated. (Some are 25C or 40C). 

Going from something where MTBF is calculated at 55C to 70C is only a 5x acceleration. Taking it up to 185 would be a 26x acceleration. So depending on the quality of the electronics, taking it up to chicken temps won't make an enormous difference. MTBF for simple electronics like this may easily be in the millions of hours, so that level of acceleration won't make it uncompetitive in an MTBF or AFR calculation, especially if it's only used for items cooked to 160 and below.

(Of course, if the MTBF for the electronics is calculated based on 25C, 70C then becomes ~251x acceleration, and the numbers do get a lot worse).

But as long the probes are considered disposable/consumable, as they pretty much are even with Maverick, and as long as they're not too expensive, I don't consider it a dealbreaker.

Wow.....  You guys have went WAAAAAAAY over my head!!!!!  lol

I've never done a kickstarter before.

So what the heck - I pulled the trigger on the 4 probe meter block version. This is what a wireless thermometer should be. Hopefully it will work as advertised.

If not - well not a huge financial setback anyway. By the time it's delivered I will have long forgot about the pledge money and will be crying about the x-mas money - LOL

So what the heck - I pulled the trigger on the 4 probe meter block version. This is what a wireless thermometer should be. Hopefully it will work as advertised.

If not - well not a huge financial setback anyway. By the time it's delivered I will have long forgot about the pledge money and will be crying about the x-mas money - LOL

My thoughts.....  Heck, I waste that much in Bourbon.....lol

Hey, for a KK owner, this is pocket change, right? ;-)

That's sort of what I thought too but don't tell Mrs skreef. She was giving me a strange look as I was making the pledge - but it's over now, too late to back out.

I had already contemplated getting the 4 probe Maverick when I order the second KK so maybe I can skip that.

As a KK owner I would call myself "selectively cheap". I'm selectively cheap on some purchases which allows me to splurge on other purchases.