mjasonlane

Another Interesting Kickstarter Project

I know talk is cheap, but I found this website that claims these batteries work at 200 C.  

http://excellbattery.com/industries/oil-industry/

and these run even higher...

http://www.digikey.com/us/en/ph/panasonic/br-a.html?WT.z_Tab_Cat=Featured%20Products

I am a lot more hopeful for this project now.  what to our resident engineers think of this?

The BBQ gadget industry probably doesn't have the deep pockets of the oil & gas industry. So while certain components might exist that have these capabilities, I'm not sure they can afford those components and still hit their target build cost. Depending on the experience of the engineers, they might not have any experience in high-temp electronics design/manufacturing either.

I think the product is technically feasible. I'm not sure it's economically feasible with the kind of reliability we'd like to see built into the pricing model, though. 

As an aside, if anyone is bored and wants to read about it, this is the piece I co-wrote:

Industrial Temperature and NAND Flash in SSD Products

And if you're not an engineer and you're having trouble getting to sleep this evening, I guarantee this will put you RIGHT to bed ;-)

saving this to my ipad. Either I will be very fascinated or knock myself out when I drop the ipad on my face. Can't be worse than hockey pucks.

I've backed a couple of tech based Kickstarters. So far, not one has actually made their anticipated date. The sheer amount of upscaling for production blows most of them away. Stretch goals and changes to design I think are the big killers. The designer feels obligated to deliver a better product. But any redesign is scope creep which is never factored into the timeline. Designers / developers are horrible project managers and don't know how to estimate. Heck, even estimators are bad at estimating.

Throw in the sheer number of backseat drivers, give me updates every five minutes, etc. Well, it is about patience.

I've had 2 out of 15 projects deliver on time. I just assume it will be at least one year out from the target delivery. I'm hoping the Misen knives aren't. I'm 10 years overdue for a real kitchen knife.

I just got in on the Meater Block. Not much of a discount, $174 with shipping, but the WI-FI over Bluetooth functionality really put me over the top.

Figured so many of you Gurus, plus all the rest of these people believed in it, why shouldn't I....

3,533 backers

$438,159 pledged of $100,000 goal

12 days to go

Stats just copied from their Kickstarter page, after my pledge.

I hope they have the manufacturing situation figured out. I got in on it fairly early (before the initial $100,000). I have high hopes for this.

I agree 100%.....

I'm still amazed!!!!!!

4,086 backers

$509,158 pledged of $100,000 goal

8 days to go

An Epitaxially grown memory cap would work best (no electrolyte, just a dry solid dielectric coating between the anode/cathode conductors), but these do not currently exist anywhere, but as a lab curiosity and for insanely expensive DoD projects. Nickel Metal anhydride (Ni-MH) batteries would suffer from many of the same issues as Lithium batteries in this temperature range. Another good approach would be to make the probe powered by thermocouples. The temperature differential between the external temperature vs the internal temperature of the meat would power it. However, the electronics (chips) need consideration, as failure is accelerated at higher temps. Yes, I have designed circuits that lived at 400 degrees F+, but they had an expected shorter life. They had to be soldered with higher temperature solder, to keep them from unsoldering themselves when in use. All of the capacitors had to be tantalum, as electrolytic capacitors proved to be the weakest link. All of the resisters had to be carbon composite, as the temperature coefficient drift for Metal Deposition resisters was too high. The tantalum caps and carbon comp resisters drove the cost up, but allowed the circuit to survive a longer period of time with less drift.

Fascinating, I wonder how much more the tantalum caps cost. The weak point in most LED lights that are properly designed to not overdrive the chips is the electrolytic caps which are typically running on the right hand of their rated temp range or beyond. It might actually be worth spending a buck on a better set of caps to get a true 25k hour bulb.

Check your email.  Now they have a Last Day Special that I went for (don't tell my wife)   :evil:

This adds 2 more probe/chargers.  Nice if you have a second cooker in a second home.  Or even if you don't!   ;-)

Your pledge

$267.00

[LAST DAY SPECIAL] Cuz You're Awesome Reward:

This is just for you =) Save $70 off MSRP.

This reward comes with: 
1x Meater Block w/4Probes 
2x Meater Probe/Charger