First Slow Cook on my Akorn

First, I want to thank everyone for all the informative posts on this forum.  I could not have done this nearly as well without all the tips I have read on here.  

I'm from Texas.  My first slow cook on this thing can't be pork.  It had to be beef and brisket (the proper BBQ meat) is too expensive for a first run.  I was thinking about a chuck roast but, I ran across a 4 lb. sirloin tip roast at the store.  It's a bit more expensive than chuck but,  I've never cooked one and I'm trying my first slow cook on a new grill.  What could go wrong? :) The recipe I used is here http://bsinthekitchen.com/sirloin-tip-roast/.  I skipped the searing in the skillet though.  Here's how it turned out.

Sirloin_tip1_zpst8znxknw.jpg

Sirloin_tip2_zpsmbyzaoi5.jpg

it tasted a lot like a medium rare steak.  The red pepper in the rub was just spicy enough for a Texas boy.  Smokey flavor was good,   I'd rate it a little tough but, over all I'd say it was amazing. :)

If you just want to hear about what I cooked and see the money shots.  That's it.  If you're a noob like me and want to know how that works, or if your a veteran and are willing to read and provide some pointer's, please read the gory details below.

I used B&B oak lump.  Since I already had a MAPP torch, I used CeramicChef's lighting method.  I filled her up to just below the tabs, dug a hole in the center to the grate, and lit around the hole with the MAPP torch.  I suggest safety glasses doing this, it pops sparks like the devil.  It took maybe 2 minutes to light. I put in some hickory chunks,  the smoking stone, the drip pan, and one probe from the Maverick and closed her up.  The bottom vent was half open the whole time.  I left the top vent wide open till about 160 degrees; then shut it down to half moons.  That slowed it a little too much for me.  So I opened it just a little till it got to 220.  Then I set it at half moons.  It slowly climbed to 226 then started to drift down.  Opened the vent a hair more.  It settled at 230. All this took about an hour an a half.

I got the meat ready and put it on with the other Maverick probe embedded to about the center (I thought).  Letting out the heat dropped the temp to 180 but, it climbed to 219 pretty quickly and seemed to stay there.  So, I opened the top vent just a hair.  That was a minor newbie mistake.  I probably should have waited longer.  It slowly climbed to 246 while I adjusted it back a hair.  Still a reasonable temp for a slow cook but,  I should have left it alone.

Next newbie mistake. The meat got to 140 on the Maverick and I took it off.  When I probed it with a cheapie digital thermometer, I found that I had shoved the Maverick probe too far in.  It needs to be in the center.  It wasn't ready.  So, I had to put it back on.  At least I had shut the grill while I was probing.

After it was done, I wrapped it in foil and a towel and put it in a cooler for an hour to rest.

Lessons learned

• A remote dual probe thermometer is worth it's weight in gold!!!  I used the Maverick ET-733.  Just make sure you put it in the meat at the right place.

• A little goes a long way on that top vent. Don't screw with it too much like I did.

• Make sure you check with a hand thermometer when you pull the meat off the grill and leave the grill closed while you're doing it.

Odd things that happened

• My wife got some medication in the mail.  This was shipped in a styrofoam cooler with cold packs.  The cooler was the perfect size for the meat rest. :)
  • My TTT (http://tiptoptemp.com/product/tiptoptemp/) showed up while I was cooking.  That'll be for another day.

Edited by MickeyRat

Not much to say, you corrected yourself.

Like you said don't touch the vents for minor temperature changes, this is the hardest part to learn.

Now remember how much charcoal you lit and the vent settings that got you the temp you settled on. Use that setting for your next low and slow and your ahead of the game.

One thing that happened that surprised me a bit that I didn't mention.  It had a leak below the handle.  A little pressure would stop it but, I wasn't going to try to bend the latch while it was running.  My thought was that a brick on the handle would do it.  I went to get one but, by the time I got back, the leak stopped.  It ain't broke now so no need to fix it. :)

Edited by MickeyRat

One thing that happened that surprised me a bit that I didn't mention.  It had a leak below the handle.  A little pressure would stop it but, I wasn't going to try to bend the latch while it was running.  My thought was that a brick on the handle would do it.  I went to get one but, by the time I got back, the leak stopped.  It ain't broke now so no need to fix it. :)

If you want to try an correct it.   Try pinching the seal.

Other than that, if you can hold temps a little smoke escaping is no big deal :)

um pork is very texan we just dont ruin it with vinegar

I don't recall seeing it last time I was there. I was too busy gobbling down that wonderfull brisket and ribs that we can't get here but. pulled pork may have snuck into the state after I left 15 years ago.  Back when I lived there,  you never saw it at a barbecue place.  It was brisket, ribs, links and sometimes chicken and while pork ribs were available in some restaurants, at a BBQ place they were always beef.  I still feel let down when I see a barbecue place here and think it would be great and then remember it's not the same thing I'm thinking about.

That said, there are a few BBQ places here that are starting to serve brisket.  There is hope. :)

If you want to try an correct it.   Try pinching the seal.

Other than that, if you can hold temps a little smoke escaping is no big deal :)

Actually it fixed itself.  That's what made it odd. :)

Edited by MickeyRat