Meater - Kickstarter

CheeseMcGee

I found this awesome Kickstarter the other day and figured there might be others here that would be interested.  The fact that it can take internal and ambient temp in one wireless device is pretty awesome.  They passed the first stretch goal, so you will be able to use an extra device (phone, tablet, etc.) to boost your signal over wifi so you aren't limited to bluetooth range.  Now that they've passed the second stretch goal, we've unlocked "Meater Cloud".  Essentially by using that same extra device, and the cloud, you will now be able to see your temps when you leave the house via the internet.  Now you can leave the house and still see the temp of your meat/smoker from your phone!

Check it out and see what you guys think.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1977846026/meater-the-first-truly-wireless-smart-meat-thermom

post-8059-0-25086400-1443541521_thumb.jp

very cool..probes seem a bit thick though

I agree that they are a little thick.  I guess by removing the wires and putting the circuit boards  inside, they had to compromise a bit on size.  Still, to avoid that rats next of wires in my utensil drawer, I'm willing to have a slightly larger probe.  I'm figuring I'll mainly use is on really large cuts of meats since I've got the feel for chicken, steak, etc without using probes.

I'd like to wait and see with probes tending to fail I could see this becoming expensive

Particularly when you pay the 'Australia tax' to own everything!
Can't wait till the drop online purchases down to 30 dollars so the got can kick in lol

• 3 weeks later...

The Australia Tax is one of the reasons I've built Smartfire (smartfirebbq.com). Was floating through Google seeing what folk were saying about Meater as its similar to my Internet enabled Smartfire, thought it doesn't include a smoker control fan. Smartfire is effectively a smarter, cheaper and available anywhere alternative to the current controllers.

Interested in your thoughts! If you do particularly like it, I'm on facebook.com/smartfirebbq

The Australia Tax is one of the reasons I've built Smartfire (smartfirebbq.com). Was floating through Google seeing what folk were saying about Meater as its similar to my Internet enabled Smartfire, thought it doesn't include a smoker control fan. Smartfire is effectively a smarter, cheaper and available anywhere alternative to the current controllers.

Interested in your thoughts! If you do particularly like it, I'm on facebook.com/smartfirebbq

I think your product and the meter are entirely different.

Great. Looking forward to its launch and early bird reviews. I have been wanting and wondering why no one had created a wireless thermometer such as this for nearly 2 yrs now.

Hopefully this will spawn more competition in 6 mos to 1 yr. I am hoping the leading edge adopters would have helped improve the product by then as well.

So... here's to hoping happy summer/fall 2016 grilling with wireless meters :)

I think your product and the meter are entirely different.

I think so too, but was watching with interest what the smoking community thought of it. I've already got some valuable feedback on the site from the welcome thread. Appreciate your thoughts!