KJ and High Temp Food grade Silicone Gaskets

Charcoal Addict

Can you show me a link to a silicon gasket of any size that can handle 1000F. When I have looks the closest I could find was 650 F. I could have missed something. I would love a gasket and adhesive that is stable to 1000 F.

I have a hard time believing that the area sandwiched between the top and bottom lids would ever get up to 1000ºF, so specifying gasket material that can withstand that temperature is way overkill.

In addition, 304 and 316 stainless steel starts to soften and lose strength at around 1000ºF. If the gasket material is getting up to that temperature, you’re also going to have bigger problems with your grates.

You have obviously never experienced a flashback / backdraft Wilbur. They are well over 1,000°F and flash over both the dome and base gaskets. I haven't haven't experienced one in years, and then during one senior moment, I had one last night doing a high heat sear with ribeyes. It was extremely intense. After I closed the dome, I had flames shooting out the top vent 2 > 3 feet, and the dome thermometer spun a complete 360 degrees.

attachicon.gif0PicMonkey Collage kj.jpg

attachicon.gif0P2140030.jpg

That’s very impressive. Even so, I doubt that the gasket material got up to 1000ºF during the flashback.

I assure you, I have had my joe over 900 on the dome thermometer several times. The inside gasket edge between the dome and the base has to be exposed to these temps, if not hotter. I know you never owned any other grill besides a KK, so maybe this type of gasket is harder for you to picture.

Has anyone just used Permatex gasket maker applied to the dome only to make a gasket and left the base bare.

I just took a glance at some Permatex products and they all max out at 500 to 700 degrees "intermittent" which I assume means the material can't handle long exposures at those temps. Does Permatex make anything with a higher heat threshold?

My first gasket failed after a year...mostly due to me spilling sauce, being messy etc.  I fail to understand the need for a lower gasket. If the domes are aligned properly then one gasket on the top should be fine. Spilled sauce could just be cleaned up before closing the top down if this were the case.

My .02

Has anyone just used Permatex gasket maker applied to the dome only to make a gasket and left the base bare.

I just took a glance at some Permatex products and they all max out at 500 to 700 degrees "intermittent" which I assume means the material can't handle long exposures at those temps. Does Permatex make anything with a higher heat threshold?

I don't think they do but the advantage to Permatex is you can apply it only to the dome so no worries about spilling stuff on the gasket.

Another option that can withstand high heat and only needs to be used on dome or base if you apply it correctly is a Rutland gasket. Lots of info on this one at eggheads forum.

Can you show me a link to a silicon gasket of any size that can handle 1000F. When I have looks the closest I could find was 650 F. I could have missed something. I would love a gasket and adhesive that is stable to 1000 F.

I have a hard time believing that the area sandwiched between the top and bottom lids would ever get up to 1000ºF, so specifying gasket material that can withstand that temperature is way overkill.

In addition, 304 and 316 stainless steel starts to soften and lose strength at around 1000ºF. If the gasket material is getting up to that temperature, you’re also going to have bigger problems with your grates.

You have obviously never experienced a flashback / backdraft Wilbur. They are well over 1,000°F and flash over both the dome and base gaskets. I haven't haven't experienced one in years, and then during one senior moment, I had one last night doing a high heat sear with ribeyes. It was extremely intense.  After I closed the dome, I had flames shooting out the top vent 2 > 3 feet, and the dome thermometer spun a complete 360 degrees. 

That’s very impressive. Even so, I doubt that the gasket material got up to 1000ºF during the flashback. 

You have obviously never experienced a flashback / backdraft Wilbur. They are well over 1,000°F and flash over both the dome and base gaskets. I haven't haven't experienced one in years, and then during one senior moment, I had one last night doing a high heat sear with ribeyes. It was extremely intense. After I closed the dome, I had flames shooting out the top vent 2 > 3 feet, and the dome thermometer spun a complete 360 degrees.

I assure you, I have had my joe over 900 on the dome thermometer several times. The inside gasket edge between the dome and the base has to be exposed to these temps, if not hotter. I know you never owned any other grill besides a KK, so maybe this type of gasket is harder for you to picture.

I can't tell you how hot Wilbur, but I can guarantee you the both the dome and base gaskets are subjected to WELL OVER 1,000°F during a back-draft. . Once the dome is cracked open a wall of flames flashes out the entire circumference of the kamado. My infrared thermometer maxes out at 1,150°F and when I took a reading on the dome, base and gasket area following the flashback, it read HHH at all three locations, so the entire exterior of the kamado was over the 1,150°F mark...how much over, I can't tell. Below is a photo of a XL Big Green Egg and the gaskets I lost during a flashback several years ago. It also blew out the firebox and ring. I have back-drafted my Kamado Joes three times that I can remember, including last night, and have yet to sacrifice the gaskets, but they do get more brittle from them. Between steaks and pizzas I tend to do a lot of high heat cooks and sears. I routinely run my Kamados in excess of 800°F > 900°F.

post-3565-0-30595000-1443733699_thumb.jp

I have also been known to melt Nomex Gaskets and GrillGrates, which requires an excess of 1,200°F.  My Kamados regulalry get tested to extreme heat.

post-3565-0-57822500-1443733847_thumb.jp

I kept hearing a bell go off in the back of my mind and then finallly i remembered this article from some time back. Fellow made a gasket as you describe.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/gasketsafety/permatex.htm

Gotta love the flash backs tests your reflexes lol