Pulled the trigger

Vegas

Lump gives a mix of big and small, it has no Chems added and burns longer. I have no clue if the Chems in briquettes would damage the keg, I doubt they would, but why mess with that. Don't use lighter fluid. Cotton balls in alcohol are perfect.

If you did get a diffuser with it I would recommend pork butt as your first smoke. If the temp gets away from you a little bit due to inexperience it's no biggie with butt. Also, get a digital thermomitor, I use a maverick. The dome thermomitor is not great to go by, but that said I did it with great results for a few months, if you didn't get the heat diffuser you can probably make due with a pizza stone or something on the iron grate and meat on the steel upper level. The instructions will tell you lies. It says don't fill the fire bowl past the air holes. In reality if you over fill it is no impeadment to air flow that I have seen. Will also tell you to set the vents to 1 and 1 for a 225 degree smoke. In my experience it should be far less than 1, though that might vary based on environmental conditions. You will need to learn by trial and error to some degree.

Oh, and if you screw something up don't get frustrated. Tom Brady wasn't born perfect, he had to work on it. There is a steep learning curve so you will be a pit master soon enough

Briquettes are no problem in the Keg. The added ash makes clean up after each cook necessary. Just make sure to get the briquettes slightly ashed over before you throw them in or the black smoke can ruin your food. I have thrown in 40 briquettes and put 15 in a chimney.Once the unlit briquettes get warm they no longer smoke. They do add flavour that lump does not, but i like the briquette taste (if done right).

I use lump most of the time. Make sure you put big pieces on the bottom. Use one starter cube and turn down the vents once you hit 150F. Let the temp come up slowly. If you overshooot your target it will never come back down. I love my Keg.

Which model did you get?

Thanks for all the replies folks. I got the 4000. And I did get the diffuser as I do really want to be doing low and slow cooks and also it allows a low grill platform to be used, which is great for searing.

Is the keg tool included as well or do I have to get that separately?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk