interesting US view of the UK...

CharlieB_DE

Wow......I found the article humorous and entertaining and directionally accurate.  Of course, I have been there and I have family in England and had some in France.  We went on a Pub walk along the Thames.  BTW, there is a Greenway that runs the entire length of the Thames and it is well used by people who walk - and every dog that I saw was much better behaved than much of what I see here at home.  In the Pubs, the bartenders take great pains to serve you a COMPLETELY full Pint glass.  You will spill some of it as you take your first sip.  The age and antiquity of "things" in England, France and Spain did "strike" me.  You can spot Americans very easily based on the "well dressed" comments.  Another thing I felt is that People are just People - watching a parent deal with a 2 year old's meltdown is the same in any language.  Finally, one thing I would add - during our 10K walk on the Thames Greenway, I noticed that we were continually having to sidestep people walking towards us.  It finally occurred to me that I was walking on the right and they were all walking on the left - just like driving.  After that realization, I took delight at smiling a bit and explaining by pointing at my chest and saying "American" as I sidestepped.....

Thought I would try and get a comment in before this thread that had such an innocuous beginning gets locked......

One final thing - I do admire Churchill quotes - and I am probably going to botch this one a bit - If you are 20 and not a Liberal, then you have no "Heart".  If you are 40 and not a Conservative, you have no "Brain". 

I have blown past both ages and find that I have elements of both......

Wow......I found the article humorous and entertaining and directionally accurate.  Of course, I have been there and I have family in England and had some in France.  We went on a Pub walk along the Thames.  BTW, there is a Greenway that runs the entire length of the Thames and it is well used by people who walk - and every dog that I saw was much better behaved than much of what I see here at home.  In the Pubs, the bartenders take great pains to serve you a COMPLETELY full Pint glass.  You will spill some of it as you take your first sip.  The age and antiquity of "things" in England, France and Spain did "strike" me.  You can spot Americans very easily based on the "well dressed" comments.  Another thing I felt is that People are just People - watching a parent deal with a 2 year old's meltdown is the same in any language.  Finally, one thing I would add - during our 10K walk on the Thames Greenway, I noticed that we were continually having to sidestep people walking towards us.  It finally occurred to me that I was walking on the right and they were all walking on the left - just like driving.  After that realization, I took delight at smiling a bit and explaining by pointing at my chest and saying "American" as I sidestepped.....

Thought I would try and get a comment in before this thread that had such an innocuous beginning gets locked......

yup....same here as a brit in Germany...they walk on the side they drive...so I was bumping as well until I 'got in line'.....and I still laugh when the brits come over here, you can see them at work directly as they truly walk on the other side of the corridors and thro doors and stuff....is dead funny....and that as an expat....

One final thing - I do admire Churchill quotes - and I am probably going to botch this one a bit - If you are 20 and not a Liberal, then you have no "Heart".  If you are 40 and not a Conservative, you have no "Brain". 

...yup I can relate to that as well....I just find I dont fit any category that exists today! not religous, political or otherwise.... ;)  

...yup I can relate to that as well....I just find I dont fit any category that exists today! not religous, political or otherwise.... ;)

....Kamado worshipper, I believe in good steak and good fire ;0

Right......I have "my own drummer" - so to speak!

Another thing, I sorta collect PInt Glasses from local Breweries where I go and sample the product.  Whilst on our Pub walk, near Marlowe, the primary local brew seemed to be "Rebellion" - served at the proper temp.  I regret that I didn't buy a glass with the Rebellion logo and hoping my brother would send me one.....

Sounds like a US hating Liberal. Maybe he needs to move there. Wonder why he didn't mention those No GO Zones.

No go zones? Where?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

...Marks and Spencers...the food court is way too expensive ;) try Aldi...

Another thing, I sorta collect PInt Glasses from local Breweries where I go and sample the product.  Whilst on our Pub walk, near Marlowe, the primary local brew seemed to be "Rebellion" - served at the proper temp.  I regret that I didn't buy a glass with the Rebellion logo and hoping my brother would send me one.....

oh you must pop over to Cologne Germany, we can take a tour of the breweries here....lots and lots of glasses...and brewery food.....oh and beer too ;)

My daughter travelled a lot while she was in France.  She had a German friend and went - not sure where - into Germany during a brewfest.  It was her favorite excursion during her stay.  And....BTW her friend spoke German, French and English.....

My daughter travelled a lot while she was in France.  She had a German friend and went - not sure where - into Germany during a brewfest.  It was her favorite excursion during her stay.  And....BTW her friend spoke German, French and English.....

cool...my German is fluent as well as my fluent UK English, written almost fluent too....French is rusty as hell because it got taken over with German but can get by.....but I cant get rid of that english accent in any language!

cool...my German is fluent as well as my fluent UK English, written almost fluent too....French is rusty as hell because it got taken over with German but can get by.....but I cant get rid of that english accent in any language!

....a lot of Brits dont speak any other language...there are guys 20 yrs in Germany that refuse to speak german....doesnt really go down well...