Classic and move around or Joe Jr for small space?

KJhopefulTX

I am looking to get my husband a KJ as a multi-occasion gift. He has been looking at them and decided the Classic is the right size for his cooking. However, we only have a very narrow space around the enclosed side/back of our house and it won't really work to cook with it there, only store it. (Which he hasn't measured to figure out yet since he mentioned putting it in a space where it won't physically fit at all.) It could fit in our front yard, but since that's unsecured, I don't think we would want to leave it out all of the time. We might be able to cook with it in back halfway around the house with one or both side shelves folded down. Does anyone know the width of the Classic with the side shelves folded?

Would you get the Classic knowing that it would mean walking halfway around the house with the food and possibly rolling it in and out of the back fence every time to use it? Or get the Joe Jr. which could be left in place in the back, closer to the kitchen door, or easily moved if needed and upgrade to the Classic or Big Joe in 5-7 years when we will probably move to a place with a bigger yard? At the moment, he primarily cooks for the two of us and we don't have a grill at all. We hope to expand to a family of four over the next few years. When we entertain, it's usually just with one other couple at a time, but I'm sure he would love to have bigger gatherings. I know he would love the Classic itself, I just don't know how easy it is to move around and if he'll love using it when he realizes the hassle of the logistics.

If the surface to roll it around the house on is solid and fairly smooth , moving a classic is easy. The casters are quality and they have the right size wheels. The JR is great for a couple and not even large enough for that if you are cooking the whole meal on it all at once. The JR is a great grill that serves a few purposes well. The classic and big joe are true multi purpose cookers that can do many different types of cooking and two or more types at once. If I could only fit a JR size grill it would be an oval but that is going to cost.---Ken

Fair is fair. If you're buying him a KJ, he can put down a few pavers. You need a patio, anyhow. This would make it a lot easier to wheel around, and be a cool space to hang out and cook. Believe me, if y'all get the bug, that patio will fast become your favorite room in the house.

Go Classic!  You won't be sorry.

Thanks for the responses so far! For ease of movement, our back area is pebbles and front is grass.

I'm not so sure that I'd be comfortable rolling the Classic on Pebbles for each cook (or if its possible to do so), your best bet is to go and see one in person and roll it on the showroom floor to give you an idea of the weight and stability (or lack there of).

We don't have a back garden so I cook out front all the time - a wonderfully social activity as passersby and neighbours comment on the aromas. I agree with the others - go for a classic.

I do leave mine out - they are pretty heavy beasts - but we do live in a small village so I figure it is pretty safe.

Thanks for the responses so far! For ease of movement, our back area is pebbles and front is grass.

It would be almost impossible to roll on pebbles. Pavers would work as WhoDat mentioned.

It would be almost impossible to roll on pebbles. Pavers would work as WhoDat mentioned.
Forget it if you need to roll on grass or pebbles, something will eventually cause a tip over or damage from bouncing around. If pavers are an option, they need to be well laid. I have a very nice paver patio and I'm reluctant to move the grill across it very often.

How about two Jr's.

This would give you flexibility for cooking at two different temperatures when needed and using one or two Jr's depending on for quantity of food needingbto be cooked.

If one Jr makes a great gift two would be out if this world.

I don't think the big SS cabinet would handle grass very well. Additionally, if his heart is set on a Classic, the Jr might leave him wanting more (that's assuming he hasn't expressed a like for the Jr). The Jr is portable, but still weighs just under 70 lbs without a load of charcoal. Don't forget you'll be wagging that weight around pretty frequently if you're an avid griller.

I am looking to get my husband a KJ as a multi-occasion gift. He has been looking at them and decided the Classic is the right size for his cooking. However, we only have a very narrow space around the enclosed side/back of our house and it won't really work to cook with it there, only store it. (Which he hasn't measured to figure out yet since he mentioned putting it in a space where it won't physically fit at all.) It could fit in our front yard, but since that's unsecured, I don't think we would want to leave it out all of the time. We might be able to cook with it in back halfway around the house with one or both side shelves folded down. Does anyone know the width of the Classic with the side shelves folded?

Would you get the Classic knowing that it would mean walking halfway around the house with the food and possibly rolling it in and out of the back fence every time to use it? Or get the Joe Jr. which could be left in place in the back, closer to the kitchen door, or easily moved if needed and upgrade to the Classic or Big Joe in 5-7 years when we will probably move to a place with a bigger yard? At the moment, he primarily cooks for the two of us and we don't have a grill at all. We hope to expand to a family of four over the next few years. When we entertain, it's usually just with one other couple at a time, but I'm sure he would love to have bigger gatherings. I know he would love the Classic itself, I just don't know how easy it is to move around and if he'll love using it when he realizes the hassle of the logistics.

I just measured my Classic Joe. With the shelves folded, the widest point of the grill is across the base of the stand, measured to the outside of the casters (hence the great stability of our stands). That distance is 24". I