Classic and move around or Joe Jr for small space?

KJhopefulTX

Thanks for the responses so far! For ease of movement, our back area is pebbles and front is grass.

Check this out. http://thegrillbarrow.com/
Now that's the trick! Great suggestion...depending on cost, of course.

The ones I have seen are overpriced of course. 999.00 But the idea is excellent.

I would just get an Akorn as a first grill. I roll mine in and out of my back yard every time I use it through grass. I do not think pebbles would slow it down either as long as you have the lid latched down.. In a few years if you move simple upgrade.

Very true about the pavers, though given the small size of our yard and the layout, there isn't really a great spot for a patio. 

dwilkie - Very nice! I'm sure we would enjoy the social aspect of having it out front, but being in quite an urban environment where plenty of people have trucks that could haul it off, probably wouldn't feel as comfortable with leaving it out there.

Tspud1 - HA! Yes, that would solve the problem. That will be a goal for a future, larger property.

tinyfish - Interesting thought on two JRs! That would solve the two temps and space problem. 

RedJoe - thank you so much for that measurement!! That's incredibly helpful. Actually, given that width we probably can fit it in the back with both side shelves folded down which seems to be his plan after hearing more about it tonight. 

280sport - Nice! That would definitely solve the problem, but the grill barrow seems to be out of the budget combined with the Classic. 

He does seem to have his heart set on the Classic and seems to have decided he will make it work. Having your inputs makes me feel better about jumping on it as a gift when the Costco road show comes to our area in a couple of weeks. Thank you all so much for your help!

I didn't take time to read through the posts, but IMO a JoeJR, or any of thes small portable kamados, are poor choices to buy for your primary cooking unit. I have a JoeJR and love it, but you are extremely limited to what you can cook on it. Besides the limited grate real estate you are dealing with a small dome PLUS the dome thermometer probe. They make a great second or tailgating/traveling kamado, but there is noway I would want to be relagated to cooking on just a 12 or 13 inch kamado, even for one person. 

Yeah if you need to move it a lot perhaps look at the akorn or keg?

It's not a kamado, but I personally would take a PK Grill over either if I needed a portable grill. They are a fantastic and efficient machine for smoking or grilling. I can cook anything on a PK that I cook on kamados with the exception of Briskets, and the grates and expanders provide a huge amount of cooking real estate.. If you compared  an Akorn or a PK side by side, the PK is a nobrainer. The PK's are built like a tank, very portable and will last you a lifetime......

post-3565-0-60889500-1443799939_thumb.jp

post-3565-0-08238100-1443800014_thumb.jp

Speaking entirely from an emotional perspective.....If I had looked at the KJ Classic and the JR - then had my mind set on a Classic, I would be dissappointed to get the JR.  My opinion is to get the Classic and let him decide how to make it work.  Anyone looking at it will see it can't roll around on grass or pebbles as sold.  Several suggestions have been made, If it was me, I like the custom built cart with big tires.  That is how I would solve the dilemma that you have described.