What is your go-to lump and its cost?

So far I've used vision 20 pound lump from the local sams club on my kj classic. Costs $12. I like the flavor of that lump, but it seems like there is a lot more useless soot that adds several pounds to the bag. I feel like it burns quickly and need to replace it more often.

Tried one from Ingles at $6.50 for a 10 pound bag and wasn't crazy about that one.

They also have cowboy for around $6.5 for 10.

The Costco nearby only has briquettes. There is an Academy sports and fresh market near as well.

Is there any particular type of lump you use that has great value?

My go to is our local Harris Teeter brand which is made by Natures Grilling.

Very good charcoal and usually goes for I think its 10# for $6 on sale and is usually on sale.

Its always available, good flavor, dense so has a long burn time, low ash.

For the price its hard to beat.

I have been using it about 10 years and it has gotten better over the years since this review was done.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag89.htm

I am a big fan of KJ lump and quebroak. My understanding is that Fogo is really good as well. If you can find these for 1&/lb do it.

I also have RO. I can get it for $11 / 17 lbs at RD. I am careful to only use it on Beef or high heat pizza cooks. It leaves chicken leftovers with too much smoke.

I use Rockwood for everything and occasionally I use briquettes in my mini. I've used Royal Oak,Cowboy,BGE and Ozark Oak when it was still available. Rockwood is my favorite and my 2nd would be OO but that doesn't matter now. I pay $19 for 20lbs.

I use Rockwood for everything and occasionally I use briquettes in my mini. I've used Royal Oak,Cowboy,BGE and Ozark Oak when it was still available. Rockwood is my favorite and my 2nd would be OO but that doesn't matter now. I pay $19 for 20lbs.

+1 rockwood

So far I've used vision 20 pound lump from the local sams club on my kj classic. Costs $12. I like the flavor of that lump, but it seems like there is a lot more useless soot that adds several pounds to the bag. I feel like it burns quickly and need to replace it more often.

Tried one from Ingles at $6.50 for a 10 pound bag and wasn't crazy about that one.

They also have cowboy for around $6.5 for 10.

The Costco nearby only has briquettes. There is an Academy sports and fresh market near as well.

Is there any particular type of lump you use that has great value?

Royal Oak buy it by the cart full when Wally World has it on sale.

I think its like a 17lb bag for 7.00, shoot Home depot will even match it and then take another 10% off.

This, especially since you include value as a criteria.  So far I have not run across some lumps the size of my forearm like some others.