John Setzler

Joe Talk - October 2015

Hey Joe Fans!

Check out the latest episode of Joe Talk for a continuation of the sous vide discussion, highlights of some of your cooks this month, and an introduction to cold smoking using your Kamado Joe as a smoke chamber...

I really liked the instructions on cold smoking cheese for KJs.

I had watched Rob Green's video awhile back on how to cold smoke cheese & nuts on his YS-640, and was curious how to go about this on a Kamado.

John, I love these videos and the concept!  This one was great as the rest have been as well and I get antsy towards to end of the month waiting for the next Joe Talk!!  Keep up the great work!

Great video.  The only thing I would add is: The A Maze N products "tube" smoker is needed for people above 5000 feet of elevation.  The tray will not stay lit at higher altitudes.  The tube is better at staying lit, and at higher altitudes, it makes the same amount of smoke as the tray (at sea level).  Also, you may need the vents wide open on the Kamado to give the cold smokers enough oxygen to stay lit.  Microwaving the pellets for 5 minutes, or baking the pellets in the oven at 250 for an hour also helps drive out excessive moisture from them.  With a reduced moisture content, they are better at staying lit.  A hot air gun (or Joe Blow) is a great way to get the pellets off to a good lighting. 

I enjoy the 'Joe Talk' series, i found the information about cold-smoking cheese to be great and the fact that you had a block of cheese from 2 years ago was great and will answer anyone's question of how long it will keep.

keep up the good work John, i'm looking forward to seeing the sous vide brisket.