Grabbed me one of dem akorns

Welcome. You can get a charcoal grate for a Webber grill and a cast iron griddle from Academy Sports that will work just as well as the stone. Plus the griddle is more durable (in my opinion). Also for a little less money. Enjoy

I hear that temp controll is more difficult with the grate and griddle idea over the stone. Any opinion on this?

Congrats on the buy. You can use a Webber charcoal grate with an aluminum pizza pan as a heat diffuser and it does work. But after buying stones for my akorns, the temps seem to hold even better. A $35 solution is not a bad deal.

Find yourself some good clean sand, a tin pizza pan, and some wide bbq foil.

Lay a large piece of foil across the pan. Pour and spread out a 3/4" layer of sand on the foil, then carefully wrap it to enclose the sand. You are looking for a thermo absorber and this will work fine for your first cook. You will need to support this pan between the fire and the grill somehow.

I would then take another big piece of foil, fold the sides to create a drip pan and set it on top of the sand pack. Once your cook is done, close it up and toss it.

Simple but it will work for you. Just make sure the sand is very clean. You don't want unfiltered sandbox stuff. A single cat "chunk" in there will spoil your whole cook!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By pittmab
      Having jumped the gun and already commented on a few posts, I thought I best say hello!
    • By Tom_V
      First cook on Joetissorie on the Akorn, and yes it fits perfect! I used a combination rub of KC's and Dinasour BBQ Cajun Foreplay. (Dinasour BBQ is the BEST BBQ restaurant in NY State) I also made a paste with same ingredients and rubbed under breast skin and inside cavity. Akorn running at 400-425 deg. Amazing flavor!

• By Cranky1
      Hi all,
      Just got an Akorn 16820 and mother nature decided to go all cool and wet on me. Looking forward to trying this thing out.
    • By Millerb7
      So I have myself an Akorn for about 4 years. Through a couple moves while building a new house, it was pretty neglected... sat outside, uncovered through winter, rain, etc. Needless to say due to the metal build, it rusted something bad. I ended up getting rid of it and decided I'd see what the Weber Kettle hype was all about. I picked myself up Kettle Master Touch.......... wow...

I freaking hated it. Was horrible to keep temps. Took forever to get up to temp. Was terrible to use with lump (as it fell through the grates)... just a bad overall experience. Cooked on it about 4 times then sold it. Now... I live in a VERY windy area. Like 10-15 mph winds almost constantly.... so I'm sure that played a part... but it was no enjoyable.

I decided to pick myself up a new Kamado Joe Classic from Lowes for $650..... I'm in love.
    • By icegrill
      I have been a long time member here, I started my Kamado 4 years ago on a BJ special Brinkman, now out of business. Well my firebox cracked as did my place setter, but that thing taught me a lot about cooking on a Kamado and ensuring how to seal it up and overcome that models challenges. 

Well today I join the Egghead club in a big way with the BGE XL. I am super stoked to get grilling on my new baby.