how big of a turkey can i cook in a Vision M?

g5spark

thanksgiving in canada is coming up upon us this weekend and we're thinking of smoking it in our vision M series (medium size) grill.  Can anyone comment on how big of a turkey they were able to cook with it?  specifically the M series.

google has told me 12-15 lbs on a BGE medium but im not exactly sure if that is the same size as the vision.  In some pics ive noticed the BGE plate setter is much lower than the lip of the bowl so they seem to be able to put a bigger bird.

I have not cooked on a Vision M, but I had a full size Vision Pro C and now have a Large BGE. I can tell you that the full size Vision and the Large BGE are about the same size in terms of grill and dome space. I am guessing that the similarity extends down into the M size models as well. How big a turkey do you figure you will need to feed your family?

I was going to put the bird in a aluminum tray and poke some holes in it.. if I can fit it on the upper rack I'll put an old pizza stone on the lowerrack.

anyways we ended up buying a 5.5kg bird so worst case it goes in the oven.

Yeah, I cook my turkey indirect with a drip pan as well. I like to just set the bird on a raised  grill and place the drip pan underneath that on the main grate. This year i am going to try a spatchcocked turkey. Going to try a small one and figure out who it fits on the my Large BGE. 

i was able to place it in any direction with just the bottom rack so we figured we'd cook it upright.. here's a pic.

post-9567-0-39893000-1444512892.jpg

5.5kg = 12 lbs.

initially when i put the bird in, it touched the prongs of the top vent and lifted the top vent 1/3 off but i just jammed the top back down and by the time the bird was done, it had shrunk.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I bought a 21 pound turkey the other day and had planned on cooking it inside in the oven.  I took the frozen bird (still in the wrapper) out to my Vision M to see if it would fit and it looks like it will fit with the lid closed on the bottom rack.  The dome lid will not close on the top rack.  I plan on cooking mine on the "M" Thursday early AM