Overnight low and slow

Ive gotten pretty good at holding temps during the day, BUT.....I do have to monitor and make slight adjustments.  My question is how are some members holding temps overnight when they have discontinued the use of the TTT and other devices.  Ive seen this topic before but decided to start a new one due to those being locked for aggressive posts.

thanks for your help...

The first overnight I did, I checked every hour or so. A waste of my time quite frankly. Fluctuation was never more than about 30 degrees. The last couple, I started a few hours before bed, checked it regularly, then went to bed about a half hour later than normal. No worries. I did get up a little early though.

I give the temp range a wide berth so it can wander all night and not have my maverick monitor awake me unnecessarily.

I set my grill temp to around 235 and my maverick alarm for 210-260 (a +-25 degree swing) then put the receiver next to my bed.

Here are a couple how to videos I've done on this topic.

I give the temp range a wide berth so it can wander all night and not have my maverick monitor awake me unnecessarily.

I set my grill temp to around 235 and my maverick alarm for 210-260 (a +-25 degree swing) then put the receiver next to my bed.

Here are a couple how to videos I've done on this topic.

I just watched your Thanksgiving Turkey video and it was excellent.  We are going to try it.

My main problem with this has always been impatience.  Last time I did a pork butt, I wanted to get the fire going and get settled in fast so I could go back to sleep.  The Maverick beeped 40 minutes later waking me up because I went over.  I went outside and made an adjustment that was just too big, then went back to sleep to be woken up by another beeping Maverick telling me I was too low.  Once I get in this swing,  frustration sets in and it's hard for me to level off.  If I hadn't rushed the beginning, I would have gotten more sleep.

I recently did a chuck roast low and slow.  It took about 40 minutes (used only on cotton ball) to reach my target temp and I didn't have to touch it for several hours.  If not for the IT display increasing I would have thought the Maverick was broken or frozen.  When the grate temp finally moved it moved 2 degrees cooler (the sun was setting) and stayed there for 2 hours until it was time for me to crank the temp up.

Consistent lump size and patience are keys to a successful, hassle-free low and slow.

After dang near three years with the Akorn, I can low n slow overnight with confidence but I usually try to avoid it. Halving a butt and cooking it at 300F can get it done in under 6 hours, nullifying the need for an overnight cook. Every once in a while though the need arises for the cook to be done before noon or so then I have to decide whether I want to wake up early or do an overnighter. Usually, I use the overnight cook option as an excuse to stay up late, drink some beers, and play online games with buddies... Mrs. Cue doesn't know I don't have to watch the Akorn like a hawk to cook overnight so it works out either way ;)