Burning Clean?

Sorry if this is a duplicate, I couldn't find what I was looking for using the search.

I was cooking last night at around 600 and there was a strange smell.  I assumed it was oil that was caked onto the sides.  I didn't leave it at this temp for long because it was for a quick sear.

I was just wondering if doing a high heat clean was necessary/beneficial on the Akorn.  If so, how hot and for how long?  Do you scrape it out afterwards?

If you only use the search at the top of this forum you may miss a lot of threads on your subject. If you need to do a search for a 2 or 3 letter word you will always get no returns. If you want to do a search through the archives then do this:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is something that "Milt2tle" wrote in a thread for searching items in the archive or for that matter anywhere on the web.

Go to Google.

Enter the word(s) on which you wish to search followed by the word "site", followed by a colon, followed by the site to which you wish to limit your search,
eg "kamadoguru.com" (all without the quotation marks, of course).

To accomplish the search you want to do, you would type the following words in your google search field:

ham site:kamadoguru.com

If you want to search on more than one word,

"smoked ham" site:kamadoguru.com

Would find that specific word pair, whereas

smoked ham site:kamadoguru.com

Would find all posts containing the word "smoked" and the word "ham", whether together or not.
------------------------------------------

Hope this helps you in the future.

There are a couple options for the smell.

1) If you failed to fully remove the orange sticker, you could be smelling that burn off. 

2) a foreign object in that came with your charcoal. I've had plastic, rocks, metal straps, and other "exciting" things in Royal Oak.

3) The paint over-heating on the bottom of the ash pan (there is no insulation in the ash pan). 

4) oils/food particles form previous cooks burning off

5) Gasket or sealant material you may have used to seal up air leaks (if applicable)

6) Wood handles on the ash pan (if you have them) overheating. 

7) your starter cube (or ones from previous cooks) burning off completely.

My bet is it's either 2, 3, or 4.

Hope this helps. 

Sorry if this is a duplicate, I couldn't find what I was looking for using the search.

I was cooking last night at around 600 and there was a strange smell.  I assumed it was oil that was caked onto the sides.  I didn't leave it at this temp for long because it was for a quick sear.

I was just wondering if doing a high heat clean was necessary/beneficial on the Akorn.  If so, how hot and for how long?  Do you scrape it out afterwards?

Sometimes it can help especially when you do lots of slow and low cooks with very little pizza or hot and fast steak.  If you feel like you need one go ahead and run it at a dome temp of 550 for an hour or 2.  Should really help clean any gunk out.  being sure to always use a drip pan is also a good idea.

The weekly pizza cook is my prefered method. 

If you only use the search at the top of this forum you may miss a lot of threads on your subject. If you need to do a search for a 2 or 3 letter word you will always get no returns. If you want to do a search through the archives then do this:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is something that "Milt2tle" wrote in a thread for searching items in the archive or for that matter anywhere on the web.

Go to Google.

Enter the word(s) on which you wish to search followed by the word "site", followed by a colon, followed by the site to which you wish to limit your search,

eg "kamadoguru.com" (all without the quotation marks, of course).

To accomplish the search you want to do, you would type the following words in your google search field:

ham site:kamadoguru.com

If you want to search on more than one word,

"smoked ham" site:kamadoguru.com

Would find that specific word pair, whereas

smoked ham site:kamadoguru.com

Would find all posts containing the word "smoked" and the word "ham", whether together or not.

------------------------------------------

Hope this helps you in the future.

I was wondering the same thing when searching.  Thanks smoker!