Sign in to follow this  
THATGUY

Craigslist Bayou Classic Cypress

So I just recently bought a vision that I got off craigslist, I really like it.  However, this forum has made me envious of the guys who have several different Kamados to cook on, for big cooks.  I was browsing craigslist again (a habit I need to stop) and there is a gentleman with a used Bayou Cypress for sale.  I have watched him drop the price from $450 to $250, he lives in a rural area, so I don't think there are many folks willing to make the drive. It has the cracked fire pot, but he says he has it rigged in a way that it is still operational.  I know there have been some quality issues with these grills and I certainly don't need it, but I figured with some silicon and a new nomex gasket how bad can it be?  So my questions to the board are these:

1) Does the quality of this grill justify purchasing one at all?

2) Knowing it has a cracked firepot and will probably require some work to seal it up, where do I need to be on this grill for it to be a good purchase? $200/$225?

Thanks for your help.

I certainly am no expert. I have done a bit of research and learned a lot from this site.

Those were one of the Kamados that Meat Head at Amazing Ribs refused to review because there were so many problems with cracking.

One person on here returned theirs. One had the bottom shell crack to the point that they stopped using it. Others say they are happy with theirs..They in no way say them as any thing except wonderful.

The way that I personally would approach it is that what ever I paid would be low enough that I could throw it away if it came to that.

My offer would probably be $150.

Of course none of the Kamados will be covered by warranty when bought second hand.

If you wait there will be other  units will eventually show up like KJ, BGE, Primo, and so on. Especially if you search Craig's list constantly.

I certainly am no expert. I have done a bit of research and learned a lot from this site.

Those were one of the Kamados that Meat Head at Amazing Ribs refused to review because there were so many problems with cracking.

One person on here returned theirs. One had the bottom shell crack to the point that they stopped using it. Others say they are happy with theirs..They in no way say them as any thing except wonderful.

The way that I personally would approach it is that what ever I paid would be low enough that I could throw it away if it came to that.

My offer would probably be $150.

Of course none of the Kamados will be covered by warranty when bought second hand.

If you wait there will be other  units will eventually show up like KJ, BGE, Primo, and so on. Especially if you search Craig's list constantly.

Thank you for the response.  I don't know if he will get down to $150, but I too have seen a lot of variability in the quality of these cookers.  My understanding is that the issue with the original fireboxes was that they didn't put a space in it to allow for expansion.  I was thinking I might be able to rebuild the firebox with Rutland cement, but I am not sure that would correct the original design flaw.  Where I live it is pretty much just BGE, although I think someone just started carrying Primo...we see a lot more Imperial Kamados out here in the islands than anything else....

I have an Akorn, that I bought second hand, but it took a few tumbles and the saltwater here is wreaking havoc on it. It was a great entry into Kamado cooking, but it was time to move on so I got the vision. I think my idea is to eventually build a table with the two two ceramic eggs.

Isnt there a female poster on here with a BC?? I forget the user name but she was always firing her BC

She is long gone.

She also ended up buying a Big Joe at a Cost Co road show. In one of her posts she said she bought the BJ because the bottom shell of her BC had developed cracks. And yes she is gone with a b it of drama.

I have a bc cypress. It has cooked great. It is my backup grill that I use if I am doing a big cook. You will get some great food off it. That said, I would have concerns about its longevity based on the fact the seller is telling you it has a cracked fire box and that other owners, Kara included, have scrapped them. I love mine. I got it at a reasonable price. If you get the correct price pull the trigger. I don't think that is the correct price.

I had a BC. It was an ugly green color. It did it's job. I paid $200 for it. if you start buying accessories, the costs add up pretty quick. The Sam's deal on a Vision seems to be a yearly event. I bought my Vision at Sam's mid October, $299, others have got it for less. Keep looking a better quality kamado will come up at a good price. I also got my KJ used, $350. just 2 years old and never registered, I also got the warranty.