Sign in to follow this  
NonStickSteel

Brought her home last night...

Well, I finally got my Vision Kamado Pro home last night and cooked up (rather nervously I might add) a prime rib roast. After obsessing constantly over kamados, I saw the Vision Pro in Canadian Tire and at $799, it was a little beyond what I was able to afford. However, the power of intention continues to serve me very well indeed.

As I was about to leave the store after a longing visit to the kamado, I lamented to my wife that they didn't have a layaway plan at the store. The General Manager heard me and asked what it was I was looking to buy. I told her about the Vision Kamado and she said "well, if you want, I'll sell you the floor model". I asked her "how much"? "Half price" was the reply. :shock: "Sorry, I thought you said "half price""....

So I landed what is probably the year's best deal on my kamado. $349.99 (even less than half price!!) plus tax. It came in about a fiver under $400.

Smokin' deal. ;)

The roast was a little over done because we actually had to remove it from the grill to resupply the charcoal. We hadn't put enough in at halfway up the firebox. Once we filled it with more, the heat came back up to 500 but the damage had been done. It was still delicious though! I did it with a grainy mustard and salt & pepper rub, served with roasted potatoes, carrots and Yorkshire puddings (remind me to share the recipe - they were huge and awesome).

Also tried baking some home made bread but the temp on the grill wasn't enough and by the time the beef had rested, the bread only cooked about half way...

Gunna be an adventure getting used to the heat adjusting but man oh man, am I ever lucky to have this grill and I'm pretty sure it's going to open a world of possibilities to my cooking.

All the beast

Scott

post-1545-1375650792718_thumb.jpg

post-1545-13756507929336_thumb.jpg

A great buy, Scott. like Husker said, it takes some time to get her dialed in. It also takes more than a few cooks to get it seasoned to where it will will be airtight. Regarding running out of coal, a half full firebox should certainly be plenty of coal, unless you are doing a 15 hour pork shoulder. I suspect somewhere in the cook your fire died due to lack of airflow. Make sure you are using good sized chunks of lump and there's plenty airflow between the bottom and top vents.Generally I keep the bottom vent fully open,and the top lid open until I see the coals have really caught fire, then I'll close the bottom to about 1 and close the top about half. Generally the temp will settle in at about 350, give or take 25 degrees, a little hotter for chicken... of course, the Pro may well be different than the Classic.

Welcome to the Forum!

Bravo. A real score! My local CTC didn't even have any on the floor when I went looking there in the spring. I refuse to buy something like this from a display card.

Thanks all! One quick question: see those brush strokes on the inside of the lid? Should I be concerned about them?

I was wondering about those. It kind of looks like maybe they filled a couple hairline cracks, then covered with a type of paint. Hairline crack are fairly common in ceramic cookers. Just take it easy with the lid, as those marks might indicate they are trying to hide some kind of blemish. Don't let it slam shut real hard, etc.

Congratulations. I am new owner of a Vision Kamado Pro as well, my wife totally surprised me and had it waiting for me when I got home last week. What a woman! I had no idea she had been paying that much attention to my comments about how much I wanted a ceramic like the BGE. Plus she also got an great deal from the local Home Depot when she bought it, paid $499. It was a display model. I have used it twice now and am looking forward to smoking some baby back ribs tomorrow. All I can say is that so far I am very, very happy with my Kamado Pro.

I did this morning. It doesn't look normal. I can't see any cracks but better safe than sorry. Incidentally, when I registered my kamado with Vision, I mistakingly thought mine was a Professional C Series and put that down but it is in fact, an S Series. Does that matter you think in terms of them honoring the warranty?

Very nice deal. I got mine for $699 plus $50 for the stone at Home Depot. The one thing I did was use some of the high temp copper rtv silicone caulk to just seal up the little lighter door on the front. If you open that door beyond 90-degrees, the spring will will over extend and the door will not close tightly. That caused my grill to remain hot for way too long after I shut it down. Now, I can shut it down and it is cool enough on the outside to touch in 2hrs. I also use some heavy duty foil and a cookie tin as a damper on top of the top vent. It's my ghetto version of the BGE damper. I still use an electric starter on mine, but I just pull out the drawer and slide in the ligher. Then I close the drawer as much as it will go and wait about 20 min or so with the lid open and all vents open. By then I usually have flames.

I also made a rake for mine. IMHO, that is probably the most important thing you can do to manage your temps. Rake the spent ash out before you start a new fire. What I mean is, just rake the unburnt coal around and get all that ash to fall through the holes in the bottom of the fire bowl into the drawer below. The air flow is much better w/o all that ash clogging the holes. I took a garden tool and taped it to an old metal broom handle for the task.

Here is my lighter door as I added the copper rtv silicone

DSC_0013-2.jpg

Here is the cookie tin damper. I also use sheet of heavy duty foil under it that covers the entire top vent assembly:

DSC_0017-2.jpg

My rake. If you look at the cookie tin photo and the rake photo, you'll see that the metal plate with the vent numbers has turned brown. That is because I rubbed the entire upper vent with Crisco to season it. It eventually turned to that brown color (colour if you're Canadian :))

DSC_0026-1.jpg

My associate likes the mods:

DSC_0035-3.jpg

Great advice about the used ashes! I actually left the old stuff in, thinking that it still had life in it but now that I read your post, I doubt there was any and that the remaining coals would have probably disintegrated had I touched them. I think I might just steal your idea with the garden rake. Nice mod! RARGGGH! (Chewy sound)

I heard back from Laurie the Customer Service Manager at Vision today. She said "According to our warehouse manager it is not a problem. After continued use the inside will all turn black from charcoal." to which I replied asking what the brush strokes were exactly. Nice to know they respond quickly! I just would've liked to have had a more definitive and descriptive response, telling me what they actually were there for.

I'll probably hear back shortly. I feel very comfortable with deciding on a Vision and LOVE the grill!