Thermapen : Not worth the money

cbass

I just received my thermapen and, unfortunately unlike others, I have to say that it is not worth the money.

I own two other thermometers from thermoworks.

Thermapop

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/thermopop.html

RT600C

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt600c.html

I wanted the thermapen in the hopes of getting quicker readings since the thermapen is advertised as having a 2-3 second read time vs 5-6 seconds for the RT600C and thermapop. I did an ice bath test and a boiling water test several times and all three thermometers get to the same temperature at exactly the same time interval.

In fact, the thermapop is probably a superior thermometer to the thermapen in all areas except reach.

The thermopop has a backlight display while the thermapen classic does not.

The thermopop can switch between F and C with having to open the battery compartment and flip switches.

The thermopop has a rotating display while the thermapen does not.

If anyone is interested in having me post videos of the test, then let me know.

It also appears that I will not be able to return the thermometer and get my money back with the following return policy:

Returns:

Returns for credit are only accepted from the original purchaser and only if the product is purchased direct from ThermoWorks. All warranty claims will be handled by ThermoWorks, regardless of where the item was purchased (do not return product to retail store). In all cases a return authorization number is required. You can get one by calling our toll-free number. Write this number on the outside of the shipping box.

We do not have a "buy-and-try" allowance policy. It is the responsibility of the customer to determine suitability of a product prior to placing the unit in service.

Unused products may be returned within 30 days of purchase for a refund, minus shipping charges. All boxes, packaging materials, accessories, manuals and certificates must be in new, re-sellable condition or a fee equal to the cost of the damaged and/or missing item(s) will be deducted from the refunded amount. Be sure to ship in a carton that protects the original item box or package. We suggest you insure the package for the full value. Used or damaged equipment may not be returned for a refund. Credits are not issued until the goods are received and inspected at ThermoWorks. It may take up to two weeks to process credits.

http://www.thermoworks.com/buy/#ReturnPolicy

There's a newer Thermapen that has resolved all of the issues, MK4.

http://thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/

I have the Thermapen Classic and have never been unhappy with it. I also own the PT100 from Maverick. The Thermapen is by far a tougher and better built instant read than many of the competitors. It's not bendable like the PT 100. It's very solid.

It sounds like you should've picked the MK4 for your requirements. The Therapop is okay, but I prefer a Themometer that closes for outside use so it's easier to store.

The only flaw with the MK4 is the lack of an LED display. Other than that, it's solid.

Otherwise, you still have a good performer in the Thermapop.

The back light or the other bells and whistles aren't the main issue. The main issue is that is not faster than a thermapop which is a fraction of the cost. So what advantage does it have? It's supposed to be much faster.  There is a pretty massive price difference between a thermapop and a classic thermapen: $50. Even a greater price difference between the thermapop and the mk4: $70

Without the extra speed I don't see the point of paying that much of the extra price.

It's not a bad thermometer, just not worth the premium.

The back light or the other bells and whistles aren't the main issue. The main issue is that is not faster than a thermapop which is a fraction of the cost. So what advantage does it have? It's supposed to be much faster. There is a pretty massive price difference between a thermapop and a classic thermapen: $50. Even a greater price difference between the thermapop and the mk4: $70

Without the extra speed I don't see the point of paying that much of the extra price.

I do not understand, why isn't this a warranty issue? Is the thermpen too slow, or the other units faster than advertised? I feel like my thermpen gets me a reading in about 1-2 secods.

I use my original Thermapen all the time and have never been dissatisfied with performance. I've never measured the response time but it's certainly quick enough for me. I've never had occasion to switch between C and F and the lack of a rotating or illuminated display is, for me, unimportant. You have a different set of needs, likes and dislikes, so go for whatever is out there that satisfies you. As they say, different strokes .  .  .  .  .

I have several instant read thermometers, including 2 Thermapens. I have had one of them for over 10 years and the second one for probably 7 or 8 years. I know 2 individuals who bought ThermoPops and both have had them eventually fail. I also have a couple Maverick PT-100's which I have had for years and really like. My favorite instant read to date is Thermowork's Smart Thermometer Temp Test 1. I really like  the straight, non-folding probe, plus it is waterproof, backlit and the display rotates like the new Thermapen model. You get what you pay for. There are a lot of $15 > $30 options out there, but at the end of the day, a Thermapen or Maverick PT-100 will outlast them all. 

The back light or the other bells and whistles aren't the main issue. The main issue is that is not faster than a thermapop which is a fraction of the cost. So what advantage does it have? It's supposed to be much faster. There is a pretty massive price difference between a thermapop and a classic thermapen: $50. Even a greater price difference between the thermapop and the mk4: $70

I do not understand, why isn't this a warranty issue? Is the thermpen too slow, or the other units faster than advertised? I feel like my thermpen gets me a reading in about 1-2 secods.

Could be. I will contact thermoworks and see what they have to say.  The issue is the thermapen does not read faster than the other two and it should and it's the main reason I bought it. I would say slow. All three get the reading in 5-6 sec so the thermapen does not perform it's 2-3 seconds advertised. Here is the how thermoworks advertises the thermapen:

With full readings in only 2 to 3 seconds, the Super-Fast® Thermapen is the world’s best in speed and accuracy. 

I cannot speak about accuracy other than what is advertised, but all read accurate enough. However, the speed is just not there. The cheapest thermometer from the bunch the RT600C actually outperforms both the thermapen and thermapop by 1 sec.

I have several instant read thermometers, including 2 Thermapens. I have had one of them for over 10 years and the second one for probably 7 or 8 years. I know 2 individuals who bought ThermoPops and both have had them eventually fail. I also have a couple Maverick PT-100's which I have had for years and really like. My favorite instant read to date is Thermowork's Smart Thermometer Temp Test 1. I really like  the straight, non-folding probe, plus it is waterproof, backlit and the display rotates like the new Thermapen model. You get what you pay for. There are a lot of $15 > $30 options out there, but at the end of the day, a Thermapen or Maverick PT-100 will outlast them all. 

Maybe, but at the thermapop and RT600C being a fraction of the cost I can buy 3 of them for the same price. The RT600c I have already had working for two years. The thermapop a year.

Thermapen's customer service is pretty dang good too if you ever do have a problem.

I have contacted their customer service and I will see what they have to say. I don't have any experience with a thermapen other than the one I received and the one that I did is nowhere near the advertised speed. I will upgrade once I get a response from their customer service.

I've got a bunch of Thermowerks gear and they are all pretty decent except...

...the ThermoPop. I hate the Thermopop. Turns out I hate the tiny display. The rotate annoys me as I find the buttons just too stiff. I couldn't care less about being able to easily switch between C°/F°. I hate the little separate probe sheath.

It is relegated to the very back of the kitchen gadget drawer probably to never be used again.

I like my Thermapens but I've also bought a few of the Lavaworks thermometers and they are pretty decent for a fraction of the price. Thermoworks really needs to drop the price of their Thermopens as they are no longer the only decent instant read thermo in the game.

Not worth what money?  I just bought 2 white ones in their off color sale for $69 each.  I like that it folds away, 3-5 secs whatever, and will always use F never C.

For me the speed is secondary to the fact that they cost a hundred bucks. I have several thermometers that were a fraction of the cost that work well for me. Dive to six seconds on a read time is fine for me.

Exactly. I cannot see any value in paying big bucks to save 3 seconds to read the temp of your cook.