Best temp controller for Big Joe??

kamadotom

I had a maverick and really didn't like it.  I started using a thermapen and really think that is a must need item (any instant read therm)

however....

with that said... I am strongly considering the cyberQ wifi.  I am thinking mostly just for overnight or long low and slows, it will be nice to have the blower to not have to worry about a thing.  

I agree with John, that its not really needed with a kamado as they are highly stable with temps.  But as I get older, sleep is getting more and more difficult so having the cyberQ wifi will be for ensuring proper temp always.  I will not use the probe for food as I don't really care.  I know how long things take to cook, but, check with therm when I know its getting close.

If you don't really care about the blower part.... honestly in my opinion controllers etc are a waste with a kamado.

I also agree with John, but to a point. Here's what I've discovered about me. When doing an overnight low and slow, I don't sleep well. I get up several times nightly to "check" things. On occasion, I'll make an adjustment, (probably not really necessary) but it's what I do. Enter an electronic device. I won't mention the brand, but it's supposed to accurately control temps and it does. However, I still don't sleep well when using it as I feel the need to get up and check whether or not the "electronics" are doing their thing. Crazy, maybe, but that's me. Bottom line for me is to not use anything, let the kamado do the cooking and resign myself to getting up several times nightly to oversee the process. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. 

I also agree with John, but to a point. Here's what I've discovered about me. When doing an overnight low and slow, I don't sleep well. I get up several times nightly to "check" things. On occasion, I'll make an adjustment, (probably not really necessary) but it's what I do. Enter an electronic device. I won't mention the brand, but it's supposed to accurately control temps and it does. However, I still don't sleep well when using it as I feel the need to get up and check whether or not the "electronics" are doing their thing. Crazy, maybe, but that's me. Bottom line for me is to not use anything, let the kamado do the cooking and resign myself to getting up several times nightly to oversee the process. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. 

If it works why won't you mention the brand? 

I haven't had much luck with these controllers which is a bummer because I like all the gadgets. 

Definitely not needed once your confidence in your kamado grows. I always go away while Low-n-slow cooks are going on. I usually start them early in the morning and have no desire wasting a precious weekend day watching the cook.

Planning on doing a Low-n-slow Sunday and riding the motorcycle out for lunch while it's cooking.

Once your comfortable with setting temps and you allow proper temp stabilization of the temp, go about your business, long as you have enough lump in the box your good. Not needed but I totally understand wanting one as I still want a device but I know it's not needed so I keep spending on other things

On low and slow cooks, which run while I am at work all day; the IQ120 is used.  The charcoal quality which is available locally is poor.  I will agree with others; if you have good charcoal, a temperature controller is not needed. The IQ120 can be seen at the far left in the picture. The IQ120 is programmable.  You can set it to change the Kamado temperature, based upon the internal temperature of the meat. 

Examples:

When the Internal temperature of the chicken hits 120, raise the temperature to 350 to crisp the skin.

or

When the beef brisket internal temperature hits 200, drop the Kamado temperature to 150 to rest the meat.

post-6716-0-06425000-1445087632_thumb.jp

I haven't had much luck with these controllers which is a bummer because I like all the gadgets. 

I didn't mention the brand because it's not relevant to the point I was making. The point being that these things are supposed to take the worry out of low and slow cooking by ensuring a fairly stable temperature over the long haul. What I have used does exactly that. However, it has not taken the worry out of my cooks because I now worry about the device itself. Did I lose power during the night, is it set properly, has it somehow malfunctioned? None of these things have happened to me, but I worry (to a degree) nonetheless. If it matters, I have a DigiQ DX2.

I didn't mention the brand because it's not relevant to the point I was making. The point being that these things are supposed to take the worry out of low and slow cooking by ensuring a fairly stable temperature over the long haul. What I have used does exactly that. However, it has not taken the worry out of my cooks because I now worry about the device itself. Did I lose power during the night, is it set properly, has it somehow malfunctioned? None of these things have happened to me, but I worry (to a degree) nonetheless. If it matters, I have a DigiQ DX2.

Haha. No I get what you're saying. I'm constantly checking my Maverick to make sure it's working correctly. But OP is wanting to buy one so I'm sure knowing which ones work would be helpful. I have one but it does nothing but irritate me. I can't get it to maintain a temp at all. Probably my problem though.  :)

Tom, if I were to buy again, I'd probably go for the Flame Boss 200 controller. While I don't have one, I've read a number of good things about it, not the least of which is that it's a wi fi device with an available app for your phone/tablet.