• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 5/2/2017   05/02/2017

Please take a moment to review these rules detailed below. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration, simply click the "Register" button below. To cancel this registration, simply hit the 'back' button on your browser.   IF YOU ARE COMING HERE TO POST A COMPLAINT ABOUT YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GRILL COMPANY OR ANY VENDOR AND HAVE NOT ESTABLISHED YOURSELF AS A PARTICIPANT ON THIS SITE, WE SUGGEST THAT YOU REFRAIN FROM MAKING THE POST.  IF YOU HAVE MADE LESS THAN 25 POSTS TO THIS FORUM, YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE OR COMPANY COMPLAINT WILL LIKELY BE REMOVED FROM THE SITE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE MODERATORS AND ADMINISTRATOR.     THE IMPORTANT STUFF:   1. NO PROFANITY 2. NO PERSONALLY ABUSIVE BEHAVIOR 3. BE NICE.   Failure to adhere to these three basic rules can and will get you removed from this site.  You will get a verbal warning for a first offense.  After that you get suspended.  After that you get permanently suspended.  The decision of the administrator and moderators is final on any issues related to rules and behavior.   YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).
philpom

Chorizo from pulled pork - works for raw pork also

I was getting ready last night to pack and freeze some leftover pulled pork from earlier this week and I thought, "eggs and chorizo for breakfast sounds good!".  Now I have done this before but this time I decided to carefully measure and document the process.

This recipe will in my opinion produce an authentic chorizo with a deep and complex flavor.  This can be prepared 2 ways and I'll make notes when it matters.

What you'll need:

1 pound of finely chopped pulled pork (or 1.5 pounds of fresh ground pork)

1/4 cup white vinegar

1/4 cup vegetable oil (2 tbs when using fresh pork)

2 tbs chili powder

2 tbs paprika

1 tbs cumin

1 tbs (slightly rounded) dried oregano

2 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp each of salt, black pepper

1/4 tsp cinnamon

1/8 tsp nutmeg (pinch)

Method:

Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and using gloved hands mix VERY, VERY well.  When you think you are done mixing then mix it some more!  The mixture should be tightly covered and left in the fridge for a day or more to allow the flavor to develop.

If you opted for fresh ground pork you can then stuff it in casings if you like.  Chorizo made from pulled pork will be a little drier than fresh and since it is already cooked will "fry up" much quicker!

Finely chopped pulled pork

IMG_20151017_214429_509_zpsud8uvcj2.jpg

All  mixed and ready for the fridge

IMG_20151017_222319_718_zpskr2dxqjo.jpg

Frying up the next day

IMG_20151018_102621_342_zpsahspcczr.jpg

In with the eggs

IMG_20151018_103229_830_zpsrsqd2mgq.jpg

Ah, a great breakfast!

IMG_20151018_104828_892_zpsgvkemgam.jpg

The aroma coming from this while cooking is fantastic, it tastes even better.  Enjoy.

Wow your making your own chorizo! IMO home made chorizo tastes better than store bought. My buddy makes his own and its killer.

That chorizo and egg taco looks killer and I bet that is a San Marcos Jalapeno on the side. A bite of the jalapeno then drizzle it over the taco is the bomb!

Thanks folks, try it and I'm sure you'll enjoy!

I wanted to add a note.  1/3 lb cooking with 9 eggs seems to be about right or when making with fresh ground pork 1/2 lb with 9 eggs.  Of course use as much or little as you like but that is about how I roll with it.

Wow your making your own chorizo! IMO home made chorizo tastes better than store bought. My buddy makes his own and its killer.

That chorizo and egg taco looks killer and I bet that is a San Marcos Jalapeno on the side. A bite of the jalapeno then drizzle it over the taco is the bomb!

Thanks jrow, I'd be interested in how your friend puts it together.  I consider the cinnamon and nutmeg to be my secret weapon. 

Great idea. Pulled pork makes for a delicious ingredient in other dishes such as this sausage.  That smoke infusion just adds so much richness and complexity.  Convenient too.  I generally wind up using those orphaned packages of prior cooks that eventually surface in the freezer.

I whipped up a batch with some pulled pork that I had. I did grab the wrong measuring spoons for the salt and pepper so those two are a bit "over" seasoned. Anyway, the mixture is now in the frig resting/melding for cooking tomorrow.

EDIT: The result was very tasty and the seasoning mistake I made didn't negatively impact the taste at all.  Very good!