Chorizo from pulled pork - works for raw pork also

philpom

I was getting ready last night to pack and freeze some leftover pulled pork from earlier this week and I thought, "eggs and chorizo for breakfast sounds good!".  Now I have done this before but this time I decided to carefully measure and document the process.

This recipe will in my opinion produce an authentic chorizo with a deep and complex flavor.  This can be prepared 2 ways and I'll make notes when it matters.

What you'll need:

1 pound of finely chopped pulled pork (or 1.5 pounds of fresh ground pork)

1/4 cup white vinegar

1/4 cup vegetable oil (2 tbs when using fresh pork)

2 tbs chili powder

2 tbs paprika

1 tbs cumin

1 tbs (slightly rounded) dried oregano

2 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp each of salt, black pepper

1/4 tsp cinnamon

1/8 tsp nutmeg (pinch)

Method:

Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and using gloved hands mix VERY, VERY well.  When you think you are done mixing then mix it some more!  The mixture should be tightly covered and left in the fridge for a day or more to allow the flavor to develop.

If you opted for fresh ground pork you can then stuff it in casings if you like.  Chorizo made from pulled pork will be a little drier than fresh and since it is already cooked will "fry up" much quicker!

Finely chopped pulled pork

IMG_20151017_214429_509_zpsud8uvcj2.jpg

All  mixed and ready for the fridge

IMG_20151017_222319_718_zpskr2dxqjo.jpg

Frying up the next day

IMG_20151018_102621_342_zpsahspcczr.jpg

In with the eggs

IMG_20151018_103229_830_zpsrsqd2mgq.jpg

Ah, a great breakfast!

IMG_20151018_104828_892_zpsgvkemgam.jpg

The aroma coming from this while cooking is fantastic, it tastes even better.  Enjoy.

Wow your making your own chorizo! IMO home made chorizo tastes better than store bought. My buddy makes his own and its killer.

That chorizo and egg taco looks killer and I bet that is a San Marcos Jalapeno on the side. A bite of the jalapeno then drizzle it over the taco is the bomb!

Thanks folks, try it and I'm sure you'll enjoy!

I wanted to add a note.  1/3 lb cooking with 9 eggs seems to be about right or when making with fresh ground pork 1/2 lb with 9 eggs.  Of course use as much or little as you like but that is about how I roll with it.

Wow your making your own chorizo! IMO home made chorizo tastes better than store bought. My buddy makes his own and its killer.

That chorizo and egg taco looks killer and I bet that is a San Marcos Jalapeno on the side. A bite of the jalapeno then drizzle it over the taco is the bomb!

Thanks jrow, I'd be interested in how your friend puts it together.  I consider the cinnamon and nutmeg to be my secret weapon. 

Great idea. Pulled pork makes for a delicious ingredient in other dishes such as this sausage.  That smoke infusion just adds so much richness and complexity.  Convenient too.  I generally wind up using those orphaned packages of prior cooks that eventually surface in the freezer.

• 1 month later...

I whipped up a batch with some pulled pork that I had. I did grab the wrong measuring spoons for the salt and pepper so those two are a bit "over" seasoned. Anyway, the mixture is now in the frig resting/melding for cooking tomorrow.

EDIT: The result was very tasty and the seasoning mistake I made didn't negatively impact the taste at all.  Very good!