Personally I find the Mapp gas torch or propane one works better if i keep it in the heated part of the house. When it gets down to around 20 --I find that the flame will lift off the torch and it spits--possibly because of liquid gas coming out. but Andy does not have this problem at even much lower temps. I would leave it out and see what happens, There is no harm done--it warms up just fine if you need to bring it in..

Maybe the thermapen because of battery I would store inside.

Found the spec - 

Battery CR2032 (3V) lithium coin cell x 2, 1500 hours

I think lithium is supposed to be ok in pretty low temps.

Maybe the thermapen because of battery I would store inside.

Found the spec - 

Battery CR2032 (3V) lithium coin cell x 2, 1500 hours

I think lithium is supposed to be ok in pretty low temps.

Yeah, unlike alkalines, lithiums contain no water, and perform fine in cold temps. I have 2 remote transmitters with lithium AA's for indoor/outdoor thermometers that have read as low as -44°F.

As far as the MAPP torch, the fuller it is the better, but it still performs fine in cold temps. The bottle will frost on the outside from the gas line to the top in sub-zero temps, but it still works fine. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Kamadopamine
      New to the charcoal scene and just ordered a Kamado Joe Big Joe III, currently being shipped and I can't wait! Btw I've been lurking on this forum for a week, and it seems like a great community, everyone is so knowledgeable and helpful! 

Question for all you Kamado owners out there, particularly Kamado Joe owners: Is it safe to keep your grill outside year round (covered), like on a deck or patio? Or would you be worried about the hardware corroding? Debating whether I can keep this bad boy on the deck or if I should give it a nice cozy home in the garage when not in use. If on the deck, it would be exposed to the elements year round, including snow in winter. Even if covered when not in use, should I have concerns about storing it outside?

• By Charcoal Addict
      My Fingers are still crossed the Big Joe Joetisserie will be released soon.  I wanted to find out what temps the Joetisserie can operate.  
      This may be shocking to some, occasionally it gets cold in Canada.   The motor must have some limits.  What do you think is the coldest outdoor temps the Joetoseries can operate?
    • By LargeRedJoe
      If we order take-out soup from an Asian restaurant it usually comes in a plastic quart-sized container with a snap-on lid. The containers are great for leftover soups, stews, tomato-based sauces, etc. I hadn't had any luck finding containers of similar size and quality, but then stumbled on these on Amazon for about 50 cents each. They just arrived and are exactly like the take-out containers. A good deal!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dindustrial&field-keywords=0885313653576%20%2C%200763352248161

• By 3vil3ric
      So last summer I picked up one of these.  It is a camo baseball cap with LEDs in the brim.  I found it for $5 at Walmart.
      When I put it in the cart my wife and daughter pronounced it the "Hillbilly Hat".  Who's laughing now?
      This is, in my opinion, an essential winter grilling accessory.  I've tried the lights on the handle, but this points where I'm looking.
      (And it makes my head virtually invisible when I put it on)

The HAT

SPOT LIGHT 

WIDE BEAMS

COMBO SPOT AND WIDE BEAM

REPLACEABLE WATCH BATTERIES

• By Milt2tle
      What are the steps/procedures/techniques one should follow to minimize food safety risks during the making of uncured beef jerky? Is it sufficient to keep the beef refrigerated during the marination process and then move it directly to a 150 - 175 degree smoker, leaving it at that cooking temperature for 8 or so hours? Clearly the food would - in that process - never be in the "danger zone" for more than an hour at the most.
      What about keeping the finished product - safely - following the cooking process? I did bite the gadget bullet and buy a FoodSaver vacuum sealer. If I seal the finished jerky in one of those bags, should it be refrigerated or frozen? How long will it be safe to eat if not refrigerated? If not frozen? I'd like to send some to my son, in Alabama. Will it be safe (vacuum sealed) for, say, a week?
      Finally, what should one look at or for that might be a clue that the jerky has moved from "safe to eat" across the line to "not such a good idea"?
      Thanks for any thoughts you might be willing to share.
      Milt