Smoked Jerky

Hey guys,

Well today was an experiment cook for me, as I made my first attempt at making jerky. I love beef jerky and have wanted to try and make it myself, so I went for it.

This was a pretty simple cook, just had to make sure you keep the dome temp very very low the entire time. Remember the goal is not to actually "cook" the meat, but to dry it out.

I started prepping last night "Friday" and got the meat marinating, then left in the fridge over night until morning. 

As I'm posting this the jerky is currently just cooling right now on the counter, so I have not tried it yet. But I'm curious. I think I may have overcooked it a little, especially since some of the pieces are a lot smaller or thinner than others. Oh well.

So I hope you enjoy the photos.

Friday night, getting started on the prep. Here we have a 2.3lb eye of round roast. I trimmed as much of the fat and silverskin as I could.

post-4649-0-19880600-1445742242_thumb.jp

Then I sliced it into about 1/4 inch thick slices. Then I cut those again in half. But now I wish I would of not cut them in half. Oops.

post-4649-0-51354000-1445742248_thumb.jp

Here is my marinade all made up. If anyone is interested in the recipe I will post it. 

post-4649-0-35275500-1445742255_thumb.jp

Got the beef and marinade into a gallon zip lock bag, and then put in the fridge over night.

post-4649-0-56835400-1445742261_thumb.jp

Saturday morning: Got the slices of beef out of the marinade and placed on wire racks to drip dry, while I got the big joe lit.

post-4649-0-32082900-1445742267_thumb.jp

post-4649-0-54580300-1445742272_thumb.jp

Got the Big Joe stabled out at 150 degrees for this cook, with a couple good size chunks of hickory wood for extra smoke.

post-4649-0-52234600-1445742280_thumb.jp

Thought I'd snap a coupe pics of my two dogs and my son Riley hanging out with me on the deck as the jerky was smoking away. The black lab is the mom, and the yellow lab is one of her puppies we ended up keeping from her litter. 

post-4649-0-72824700-1445742287_thumb.jp

My son really likes to play with the dog's toys. Especially their big water bowl. lol

post-4649-0-04100900-1445742295_thumb.jp

post-4649-0-01669400-1445742306_thumb.jp

The Big Joe stayed between 150-165 for the entire 6 1/2 hr cook. 

post-4649-0-59836300-1445742313_thumb.jp

After 6 1/2 hrs, I believe they were done. But I probably should of taken them off about an hour earlier. Some of the smaller pieces are really crumbly now. 

post-4649-0-32159200-1445742335_thumb.jp

post-4649-0-62454000-1445742321_thumb.jp

Brought them inside and back on the wire racks to cool down. They smell really good from that marinade.

post-4649-0-51324700-1445742344_thumb.jp

post-4649-0-66295100-1445742352_thumb.jp

Thanks for looking.

Okay here's the recipe I used for the marinade.

2 cups Worcestershire sauce

1 1⁄2 cups teriyaki sauce

1 cup soy sauce

1 tablespoon sesame oil

4 teaspoons onion powder

2 teaspoons garlic powder

1 teaspoon cayenne powder

4 teaspoons black pepper

1 tablespoon sea salt

1 1⁄4 tablespoons red pepper flakes

4 tablespoons brown sugar

2 tablespoons honey

1 tablespoon maple syrup

They look awesome how hard do they get or are they chewy I like jerky but had a bad experience once where a filling in a tooth did not hold up lol

It just depends on how long you cook it. This jerky still has some chew to it. It's not completely leather tough. But like I said, if I do it again I'll probably take them off after 5 to 5 1/2 hrs instead.

I really liked this marinade, you can really taste the teriyaki sauce, then you get some pretty good spice from the cayenne and red pepper flakes.

They look awesome how hard do they get or are they chewy I like jerky but had a bad experience once where a filling in a tooth did not hold up lol

It just depends on how long you cook it. This jerky still has some chew to it. It's not completely leather tough. But like I said, if I do it again I'll probably take them off after 5 to 5 1/2 hrs instead.

I really liked this marinade, you can really taste the teriyaki sauce, then you get some pretty good spice from the cayenne and red pepper flakes.

Awesome will have to try it out

Great photo's Oly, especially pictures of the little one. I do love jerky but have never tried making it. Someone told me to keep temps really low use a small fire. Fill a coffee can with lump and let that be your sole souce of fuel. Never tried it myself, but it might work. Thanks for sharing.

Looks fantastic Blair

That jerky looks good.I use my dehydrater,but will try using the Acorn this year.My bro.gave me some goose jerky.That's some good jerky.When I make venison jerky,I buy the jerky mix.It comes with a cure,which is needed if you plan on keeping jerky for awhile.

What if you start off by smoking in the kamado for a few hours for smoke flavor and finish in dehydrator?

I make jerky at least 6 times a year and my family loves how it turns out coming off the Big Joe.  I would agree that you may have left it on for at least an hour to long.  Mine normally is finished between 4 and 5 hours while keeping the temps down to 170ish.  

You photo's look pretty tasty and with the looks it wouldn't last long around here.  

I actually put two types out there this morning.  I have a new peppered recipe that I found and a sriracha one that I just love.  Didn't find the sriracha one but its one that I have experimented with over the past few months.  Mine have only been on for an hour so we will see what it looks like around 1PM today.

That jerky looks good.I use my dehydrater,but will try using the Acorn this year.My bro.gave me some goose jerky.That's some good jerky.When I make venison jerky,I buy the jerky mix.It comes with a cure,which is needed if you plan on keeping jerky for awhile.

The cure is only really needed if you us a dehydrator or oven.  The smoke will also help act as a cure for the jerky.