Help! smoked whole chicken

Hi Everyone, This past weekend I smoked some prork ribs and a whole chicken. I was not happy with the results since I am new to all this I wanted to ask how others smoke a whole chicken. 

My goal is to smoke a turkey for Thanksgiving so this weekend I tired to do a whole chicken. I setup my coal added about 5 or 6 pieces of pecan wood set my pizza stone and added a water pan then my grill. The temp was about 190 -200 when i put everything on.

post-9995-0-79021000-1446077415_thumb.jp

Now this is where i might have went wrong can you do chicken and ribs together or should i just stick to one type or meat?

I smoked it for 4 hours and I thought everything looked good.
post-9995-0-22428200-1446077422_thumb.jp
post-9995-0-69012500-1446077418_thumb.jp
post-9995-0-29327700-1446077425_thumb.jp

The ribs came out ok but i felt it had a bit too much smoke but not too noticeable and could have been a bit more tender. The chicken on the other hand had problems. The skin was inedible because it was way too smokey or something. The meat was fine but one of my favorite parts is the skin. It also wasn't crispy(how do I get crispy skin?) like i wanted it. The temp was 230 for 3 hours then it jumped to 250 -280 the last hour. I took everything off when the internal temp hit 170. 

I am new to all this so please be kind. Please tell how you setup your grill and what temps you keep it at. I will just be doing chicken till thanksgiving.

post-9995-0-79021000-1446077415_thumb.jp

post-9995-0-69012500-1446077418_thumb.jp

post-9995-0-22428200-1446077422_thumb.jp

post-9995-0-29327700-1446077425_thumb.jp

I've never mixed the two...

For me I cooked the two at different temps. I would never low and slow chicken (or a gobbler) simply because I find white meat to easily absorb smoke flavor. When I cook chicken (or a gobbler) the lowest I will go is 350 and bring it into the roasting zone rather than smoking or a low and slow. When I do cook the chicken or gobblers, I never add wood for smoking as the charcoal provides more than enough.

That's what I find works for me.

So you out then on before it got up to temperature? If I put things on too early I get a nasty smoke flavor. Wait for the smoke to mellow out a bit. For a bit more tender ribs maybe leave them on a little longer.

Also like Stinga said you need to do your chicken or turkey at around 350 or more for crispy skin.

I cook ribs at 225f indirect for 4 to 6 hours depending on type of ribs and the meatyness. If you want fall off the bone cook till tender and fall off the bone.

Chicken most times I add no wood chunks just the smoke from the charcoal is good enough for me. Cooking temp will be 350f direct on a raised cooking grid or 400f indirect on a raised cooking grid. Here is one from last week cooked at 425f raised indirect.post-7525-0-10679700-1446085109_thumb.jp

I agree with the above posts.

I started cooking  chicken at 350 and bumped in 25 degree amounts and kept a log. At 400 you get crispy skin and  425 can also work but I find some parts can get black edged depending on the rub.

Chicken is very quick to take in the smoke through its skin.

After getting complaints and even talk that perhaps i should give up smoking wood completely---i now use no more than the equivalent of 1/2 of a tennis ball of wood or less. I only use Pecan and now everyone is happy. I just had left over chicken in Fajitas last night. It had a nice mellow and very present smoke flavor.

Once in a while I try some other wood and it is noticed immediately. If I ever get some peach --I will try that.

When I cook a whole chicken at 400 and I want juicy breast meat--I pull at 155 and let carry over cooking do its thing --but then the legs and thighs are not done and need more cooking.

I mostly do leg quarters at least twice a week. I find they are best cooked above 175 meat temp when cooked fast and hot like this.. I go as high as 195 with awesome results.

You can not fail if you flip at ten minute intervals and a couple of cuts in the skin may not look as good but really let the oil out and crisp the skin.

You can get good results either direct or indirect at the felt line.

One thing that I had not taken into consideration. If you cook indirect you can collect the fat in a pan and it does not hit the fire and burn up. I believe this burning fat adds flavor BUT it also alters the smoke content and IMO will contribute to a heavy black carbon build up in the dome.

Ditto what Paul said, especially on the chicken, ditch the water pan, a kamado retains moisture anyway, and if your trying to get a crisp skin, the extra wet environment you create with the water pan is going to make that difficult to obtain. You may also see a lot of posts recommending to let the chicken skin dry a little before cooking, either by letting it sit uncovered in the refrigerator for a couple of hours, or by using a little baking powder sprinkle on the skin to help absorb some of the moisture.

I cook ribs at 225f indirect for 4 to 6 hours depending on type of ribs and the meatyness. If you want fall off the bone cook till tender and fall off the bone.

Chicken most times I add no wood chunks just the smoke from the charcoal is good enough for me. Cooking temp will be 350f direct on a raised cooking grid or 400f indirect on a raised cooking grid. Here is one from last week cooked at 425f raised indirect.attachicon.gif20151022_180301.jpg

OMG that is how I want mine to look. I will give what you said a try. Thanks for the tip!