Cooking with Wood not Lump in a Kamado?

UTVol

I have a buddy who is considering a switch to a Kamado (guess what sparked that :)) from an Old Smokey (i think).  Initially I thought I had him sold on a KJ and but it seems extremism runs in my circle and he's gung ho on a Komodo Kamado.  I figured who am I to stand in the way of someone buying a Komodo but he's talking about cooking with wood in the Kamado and not lump.  He asked me if it would work and I said I think it would but wasn't sure.

I know we constantly have the charcoal vs. lump debates which is educational for me but rarely does wood come into the conversation.  Is there anything wrong with using wood vs. lump charcoal?  Pros/Cons?  I'd hate for him to make the investment and be disappointed if his heart is set on cooking with wood.

Thoughts?

I am no expert by any means, but i would think the wood would burn much faster than charcoal. Might have to reload the fire bowl and make temp controll difficult. I would love to hear how his results are though.

Since he is buying a KK---he should call Dennis and talk with him. Every one says Dennis is great to talk to and is a great source of knowledge.

My take would be that your best results will come from lump and wood chunks as desired.

I have seen some BBQ set ups where they burn the smoke off and when they get red coals --they shovel them into the cooker.

Vol - send your Buddy over to the KK Forum ... komodokamadoforum.com Dennis Linkletter can give him wonderful guidance.

Yes, you can burn wood, but why would you? There is really no advantage. The disadvantage is you accumulate a lot more volatiles in your kamado and on the cook. Yes, smoking wood is used to flavor the cook, I grant you that. But full on wood is just too much, at least for me, and for most folks. A kamado is not a stick burner.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By uhmump95
      I just got a 26 inch Weber kettle  for Father's day.  Since I have been using my Kamado for the last year, I love using lump charcoal.  Is there any benefit to using lump in a kettle?  I read an article on the Weber site and it said lump cooks fast on a kettle grill.  Hopefully my peeps here can give me some insight.  

Lump charcoal use on kettle please give me your thoughts.
    • By Magnus Allgurén
      I decided to try ordering from this company called Smokinlicious Gourmet Smoking Wood, from Buffalo. It's convenient for me as I'm in Canada that they offer both an American website and a Canadian website. 
      Anywho, I once ordered Alder wood from Amazon US, as it's fairly hard to find companies selling Alder wood for smoking in Canada. The customer service that I experienced from this company is almost unheard of. Questions(by email) were answered in minutes, over long weekends and late nights. 

This wood was offered in 30lbs or 15lbs packages so I ordered the 15lbs, as I am trying it out. 

15lbs, cost me $31 CAD, shipping included. So no where near as expensive as the wood I ordered thru Amazon (5lbs/$40US).

Now after all this, the wood has a great aroma as does its smoke and it smokes for a long time. Chunks are the size of appr 2"x2x4",so a fairly nice size. 

I will definitely order from this company again. They offer lots of different kinds of wood. 

Thanks for reading!! 

http://www.smokinlicious.ca
      http://www.smokinlicious.com

• By CentralTexBBQ
      So after the flu kicked my behind for about a week and getting caught up at work and a bought of sheer laziness, I got back on the Big Joe when the men came over Saturday. First, I was surprised by the amount of lump left over from my brisket cook a few weeks ago. For me at least, this pic blows a hole in the idea that colder temps burn a lot more lump. In about 9° and after 13 hours, this is the amount of lump left over.

Forgot to get a pic on the Big Joe, but I did hash browned potatoes in a CI skillet, jalapeno and cheddar scrambled eggs and my favorite kielbasa. The giant Texas sized biscuit was done in the oven.

Currently on the smoker is a spatchcocked hen with roasted veggies in my D.O. and basting with herb infused water and avacado oil

• By CentralTexBBQ
      Came accross this today. Probably old news but, new to me.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kamado-Joe-Big-Block-XL-Lump-Charcoal-KJ-CHARBOX/303973185

• By EZ smoke
      I know Cowboy Lump gets mixed reviews but for $0.50/lb shipped to my door I'm probably going to give it a shot.

Cowboy® 20 lb Hardwood Lump Charcoal $9.78

Order 4 bags and they'll ship for free.

I've used a lot of RO but haven't been able to find any decent deals around me in the past 6 months. I've been using El Diablo lately and AFAIC it is decent stuff. Local walmart stores have had 40# bags for $15 but it has started to be hard to find.